Best and Worst part of "The Great Migration"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Martina Sette
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Best and Worst part of "The Great Migration"

Post by Martina Sette »

I have just started this book, and it has already impressed me a lot! I can't wait to finish it so that I can talk about it more in-depth.
But now I want to know from you, what did you like the most? What did you like the least? I am very curious to hear your opinion! As soon as I finish the book, I will also talk about it.
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Blood in the Snow by C. Reinhold

Post by Zanne Crystle »

I appreciate the way the first few chapters of the book were structured like short stories, each introducing the different characters that would play a role in the overall plot. It was exciting to see how their stories would eventually intersect.

Losing so many characters unexpectedly was my least favorite part of the book. They all showed so much strength and bravery, and I found myself rooting for them, only to be disappointed when they didn't make it.
Rashad Deniro Price
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: Deceit by Vernon Baumrind

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

I have come across son great scenes in this book, but I am yet to figure out what I could tag my worst part.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Making the Irrational Rational by Dr. JUD SHELEG

Post by Obc Contentor »

I have just bought this book. Sinceely, the cover photo is intriguing and captivating. As I begin reading, I discover that the book that has some brutalities as it started with a scene where killings has just taken place. It is engaging me already and I hope it get more engaging with more heart-pounding scenes to reach.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

There's a terrific worldbuilding and there are well-constructed characters. On the other hand, personally, I'm not a fan of low-tech worlds that give a fantasy flavor.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jay Lu
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

Steve Ramirez's 'The Great Migration' shines brightest in its rich world-building and complex character development, particularly with characters like Luta and Bellona. The novel's blend of imaginative settings and deep cultural themes makes it a standout read in sci-fi. However, some may find the large cast of characters and the intricate plot a bit overwhelming. Despite this, it’s a thrilling and thought-provoking journey, perfect for those who love a deep dive into new worlds and sophisticated narratives.
Jay Lu
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

Worst Part:
- Character Overload: The introduction of new characters in almost every chapter, while contributing to the depth, might be overwhelming for some readers. This could potentially lead to confusion or difficulty in keeping track of the storyline and character relationships.
- Intense Complexity: The book's complex plot, though a strength, might also be challenging for readers who prefer more straightforward narratives. The intricate weaving of different storylines requires careful attention, which may not appeal to everyone.
Peter Sasomo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-sasomo.html
Latest Review: Bashert by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Peter Sasomo »

The vivid descriptions and intricately woven plotlines enhance the reader's connection to the characters, making their journeys feel palpable and emotionally resonant. As Ramirez skillfully navigates the complexities of each character's growth, the narrative unfolds with a compelling rhythm, keeping readers eagerly turning pages to unravel the layers of this captivating tale.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Gallagher Farm by Sara Gallagher-Beck
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 83%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Adding new characters in every chapter has made it a little confusing. Most of them are not introduced, or there is no background on them, and you are left wondering who these people are.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Sam Jonas
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jonas.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sam Jonas »

From the reviews I read it seemed like it broke the stories into many parts.
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: Infliction Point by Mark Hacker

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

It isn't easy to identify a downside in this book. I loved every single bit of it. The world-building is excellent and the experience of reading this book is very immersive. However, I can comprehend that some readers might find some of the topics too heavy or too explicit for their taste, and maybe that it the only little subjective problem we can face.
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles

Post by Aleena Augustine »

I loved the author's writing style. The rich worldbuilding and the descriptive narration appealed to me. For instance, the part where Bellona and Luta realize their feelings for each other, and they walk through the festival, oblivious to their surroundings, as the descriptions vividly portray. Though I didn't find anything to hate about the book, if I had to pinpoint one feature, it would probably be the profanity or strong language used by some of the characters.
jessica fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-fleming.html
Latest Review: The Great Migration by Steve Ramirez

Post by jessica fleming »

There were many things I enjoyed throughout, but what made me just about tear up was Scout finally finding a safe home.
Did not like that almost everyone was killed off, could've at least kept Luta around and developed the blossoming romance between him and Bellona
Slayton Natasha Tillett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slayton-natasha-tillett.html
Latest Review: When Your Partner Dies by Millard Hiner

Post by Slayton Natasha Tillett »

The supense are my best part while the gory scene are the worst.
Macelo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macelo.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Macelo »

Best part is the adrenaline I had when reading the book it kept me turning the pages till the end but the worst is the fact that incursion killed really important characters.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”