Did you feel the character development was meaningful and appropriate?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez

Attachments
21 (2).jpg
21 (2).jpg (9.77 MiB) Viewed 782 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Yes. The important characters have different backgrounds and individual personalities that get fleshed out throughout the novel. That leads to different reactions to the events they have to face.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jay Lu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

Yes, I think so. The character development in "The Great Migration" by Steve Ramirez was both meaningful and appropriate. The author appears to have used his characters effectively to reveal major background stories and deepen the narrative. For instance, through Luta, readers gain insights into the country's enemy, indicating a well-thought-out character arc. The fact that each chapter introduces a new set of characters intricately connected to the central plot suggests that the character development was carefully crafted to enhance the story's richness and complexity. This level of character development would likely be appreciated by readers who enjoy depth and evolution in characters within a novel.
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Zanne Crystle »

I really enjoyed the character development in the book. The story introduces a diverse cast of characters with different backgrounds and locations. Each character has a distinct personality, motivation, and different relationships with others such as friendship, romance, family, rivalry, loyalty, and betrayal. This added depth and realism to the story. The different perspectives and cultural elements made me invested in the characters' fates and the evolving plot.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasir-shaikh.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

So far I've read, yes the character development is meaningful and appropriate. The pacing is just right, maintaining my engagement throughout the story. It's a compelling experience so far.
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Billionaire's Runaway Bride
Bookshelf Size: 768
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Newton Code by Liam Fialkov

Post by Bertha Jackson »

So far, I have liked the character development because each character is different. I like the diversity in their points of view and lifestyles.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Kristin Cowan »

I enjoyed the character development although changing the points of view throughout the book. I would feel drawn into one character and then it would switch to another.
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: The Deceiver's Heart
Currently Reading: House of Hollow
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 32%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

I did like the character development of the book. I found all of the characters interesting and would love to know more about them. It also didn't feel like it was forced or too unrealistic. Overall, I'd say the book did a very good job.
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Peter Sasomo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-sasomo.html
Latest Review: Bashert by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Peter Sasomo »

The characters serve as conduits for the author to skillfully unveil significant background tales, thereby enriching and adding depth to the overall narrative.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 100%

Post by RJ Reviews »

Being able to create characters with authentic traits and motivations is important for a good storytelling. In 'The Great Migration', the author did an amazing job creating diversified characters and throughout the book, they act accordingly. Their individual growth contribute to the overall depth of the story. So I think the character development was appropriate.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Kristin Cowan »

I thoroughly enjoyed the character development EXCEPT for Prince Lamuel and his crew. I don't know what happens in the following books, but assuming his fate is as described at the end of this book, I felt they did not need to be followed as closely.
Annabell Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Intermittent Fasting for Women in Menopause by Woods Publishing

Post by Annabell Samuel »

The personalities of the characters shined through. I could see how each character played relevant roles in the book's plot. Although there were many characters, They were all distinct and remarkable.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I have no reservations as regards the character development in this book. The author is an expert at character development and I give him kudos to that
Sam Jonas
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jonas.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sam Jonas »

I believe so. Bellona seems like the most important character, and her growth kind of stands out. Luta as well. The most distinct character development, of course, is Princess Dorinda. She went from giving Leana a hard time, to cleaning human bodies. It could have been because of the mushrooms tho.
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: So-so by Nicholas A. Ventura

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

I think every character played a different role in this plot. Through each individual, we got access to the multiple chaotic elements that composed this amazing world, which means that for such an amount of points of view, there were quite a lot of insights into the minds of these characters.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”