Did you feel the character development was meaningful and appropriate?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: The Elusive Flash of Lightning by Paul V Young

Re: Did you feel the character development was meaningful and appropriate?

Post by Obc Contentor »

The character development is good and meaningful, and it is evident in how the plot is driven by the characters. I could understand the plot progression from the lens of the characters. The character really connect with the story and that is what I really love the book for.
Florence Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-daniel.html
Latest Review: The Other Side of Crisis by Bob Herpe

Post by Florence Daniel »

From what I saw in the book the characters are well developed and each of them play there roles perfectly especially Bellona
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Bear Against the Sun by Otto Lehrack

Post by Michael Valentine »

I enjoyed the character's development but I feel their backstories weren't fully explored. I feel the author should have expanded more on their backstories.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

The individual traits of each character was fully displayed by the author. I did not feel like any character was lacking while reading the book. The author did a good job developing the characters.
Nenye Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S. Lee

Post by Nenye Charles »

Surely. Each character played a definitive and unique role, as the author allowed their personalities shine through.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I loved all the characters and being able to witness their deifferent point of views. Dorinda was a character I didn't care for at first but then came to understand and like her a little. Each character was developed and organized, each with their own personality and background.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Adam Bryce Stern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adam-bryce-stern.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Adam Bryce Stern »

Yes, definitely. The character development of the story is one of the major things that stood out to me. Almost every character was adequately developed and their personal growth was evident throughout the story.
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

No, the development of the characters was not all that good. This is because most of them didn't stay long in the story. Some died without proper development, therefore I didn't really feel their loss. The main characters grew on me as the story progressed.
Chockanathan G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chockanathan-g.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by Chockanathan G »

Yes, I think so. The author poured his entire dedication into the development of the characters in this book. When Luta and others tried to cross the thunder valley, they had to face some gruesome situations. Some of them died. Still, the author took his time to expand the background of the little characters too. Their pains and sufferings are deeply impacting the readers. 
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Atieno Magero »

The author did a great job with character development. I think Dorinda is a great example. She initially comes off as very rude, mentally unstable and aggressive. However, by the end of the book she's calmer and more likeable.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Atieno Magero »

The author did a great job with character development. I think Dorinda is a great example. She initially comes off as very rude, mentally unstable and aggressive. However, by the end of the book she's calmer and more likeable.
Pablo Josue Mendia
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo-josue-mendia.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 250
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Pablo Josue Mendia »

I believe that the central characters were developed well and that their significance in their story was appropriate. In some cases, Ramirez used them to later enrich the character (like the princess, for example, whose character arc got richer as the story unfolded). Some minor characters (like members of The Great Migration journey) lacked some depth. However, it did not damage the quality of the story.
Wajida Begum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wajida-begum.html
Latest Review: Bitter Water by John King

Post by Wajida Begum »

Indeed. The author did wonderful job in development of characters and their impact on the plot of the book. Through its characters, the author beautifully portrayed human power, resilience and interconnectedness.
Giridhar Achary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giridhar-achary.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Giridhar Achary »

Yes, the story features well-developed characters like Bellona, King Cortez, Sergeant Cordero, and Laena, adding emotional depth and relatability. The diverse cast adds depth and realism, with their personalities, motivations, and relationships adding depth to the plot.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Aditii Mehta »

I feel the character development was appropriate. All the characters had their own unique place and stories within. It was very engaging to read and made the storyline more interesting.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”