Did you feel the character development was meaningful and appropriate?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Erikpume Victory
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikpume-victory.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Re: Did you feel the character development was meaningful and appropriate?

Post by Erikpume Victory »

Yea the character development is appropriate meaningful and appropriate because of its diversity.
Aleena Augustine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles

Post by Aleena Augustine »

Yes. I liked how the author tastefully brought together characters from different backgrounds and communities, managing to highlight their individual traits and personalities. Despite their differences, each character, towards the end of the book, strove to protect themselves and others from the perceived enemy.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

I think the character development is perfect. I can connect with the characters, and their actions seem real to me.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Post by Martina Sette »

Yes, the character development was meaningful and appropriate, though not every character got equal attention. Bellona, in particular, was exceptionally well-developed.
Sam Jonas
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jonas.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sam Jonas »

To me, the only character that developed was Bellona. She grew from hating the S’ornes like the rest of the people, to understanding their plight.
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: Infliction Point by Mark Hacker

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

Jay Lu wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 08:04 Yes, I think so. The character development in "The Great Migration" by Steve Ramirez was both meaningful and appropriate. The author appears to have used his characters effectively to reveal major background stories and deepen the narrative. For instance, through Luta, readers gain insights into the country's enemy, indicating a well-thought-out character arc. The fact that each chapter introduces a new set of characters intricately connected to the central plot suggests that the character development was carefully crafted to enhance the story's richness and complexity. This level of character development would likely be appreciated by readers who enjoy depth and evolution in characters within a novel.
That's an interesting point of view! The introduction of characters in each chapter could be quite overwhelming but it put the book in a very thought of connection and route.
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: Infliction Point by Mark Hacker

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

Sam Jonas wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 15:50 To me, the only character that developed was Bellona. She grew from hating the S’ornes like the rest of the people, to understanding their plight.
I can quite understand your point, but I think Bellona has a better development because she is, in some way, the protagonist. The rest of the characters are addictions.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The character development in this book was very and far meaningful. This is because the characters all play their role which then explain the story's setting, background, and event that has just occurred. Just like in the beginning, it was through the characters that I got to know that a war has just be carried out, and it was a bloody one. The story is character driven.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

Two characters disappointed me as far as their development is concerned.

Dorinda’s outrageously juvenile behavior appears to be excused as the overdosing of mushrooms. Once they detox her, she turns into a warrior Wonder Woman, a repentant daddy’s girl, and a friend to her tutor. This is too weak and contrived. She hangs onto her snarky, foul-mouthed ways otherwise. The pieces just fail to fit.

Laena started out as a brave tutor who stood her ground with Dorinda. As the story progresses, she comes off as a weak, blithering fool who knows very little about anything.

The other characters were fine.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-chege-2.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

Each character plays an important role in developing the story. Through one character, we get to see the enemy's region and how they operate. Bellona, of all the characters, stood out the most, and her growth was vital in culminating the story.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Yes, the character development was both meaningful and appropriate. The author took the time to develop the important characters. Each one of them (important characters) was introduced carefully, and gradually we came to learn their individual backgrounds and personalities. Through the characters, we got a better understanding of the set.
Macelo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macelo.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Macelo »

Yes at the same time no in the case of likes of princess Dorinda and Bellona definitely but in the case of Luta not so much he's story ended with his death, yet it would have been great to see how his life would have become with Bellona
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: Marijuana Martinis by Liv Hamrick
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

Yes, I think the character development was meaningful and appropriate. Each chapter of this book introduces a new face. And they are all somehow linked to the central plot of the story. Their background and function are described in the chapter as the story progresses. For example, Lacey's character and her relation to her father and her home near the sea have been well mentioned.
Kathy Smith 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy-smith-16.html
Latest Review: FLAIL (Published on Amazon) by Peter Anthony Fitzgerald

Post by Kathy Smith 16 »

Kristin Cowan wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 19:36 I thoroughly enjoyed the character development EXCEPT for Prince Lamuel and his crew. I don't know what happens in the following books, but assuming his fate is as described at the end of this book, I felt they did not need to be followed as closely.
I was really hoping we would learn more about what happened because it is so heart-wrenching. The desperation they all felt and the hopelessness of it all was very deeply felt.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1926
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

The book is a world of adventure. The characters in the story were diverse and entertaining. However, they experienced the pain of loss struggling together for survival (Luta, Bellona, and their team) during their expedition through the Thunder Valley. Readers witness the characters growing emotionally and mentally as they face the trials of their lives, for instance, the Botai or the superhumans fighting against the deadly virus in another dimension of existence. I was able to connect with the characters striving dauntlessly in the face of danger, tragedy, and death.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”