Did you feel that the content of the book had depth beyond being a science fiction?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Did you feel that the content of the book had depth beyond being a science fiction?

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez

Attachments
21 (2).jpg
21 (2).jpg (9.77 MiB) Viewed 901 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

The interpersonal relationships have values that go beyond genre. Bellona's story shows courage and loyalty. The king and his daughter show a complex family dynamic that embraces personal issues and power-related issues. Issues such as prejudice are something far too common in our world, a case in which science fiction is used to develop important themes using people on another world.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Zanne Crystle
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Blood in the Snow by C. Reinhold

Post by Zanne Crystle »

Yes, I think so. I like the book's inclusion of the role of faith and tradition in society. The book depicts different religious factions in the Kingdom (the Faithful, the Chosen, and the True) and how they clash or coexist. Laena and her students provided a comprehensive explanation of the ideologies of each faction and how they relate to each other. I think the author did a great job of showing how faith can provide comfort, guidance, and hope, but also how it can lead to conflict, intolerance, and violence.
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: The Warrior's Curse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

I think the book had a lot of depth beyond science fiction. The world building was very complex. It also showed politics and how religion and misconceptions play a role in it. I think the series has a lot of potential to show major themes of how power struggles can have very real impacts on a society. I'm very curious to see how these themes develop in the rest of the series.
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Peter Sasomo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-sasomo.html
Latest Review: Bashert by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Peter Sasomo »

The book is encompassing a depth of values that extend far beyond the boundaries traditionally defined by genres. These connections are rooted in shared experiences, emotions, and understanding, making them rich and complex irrespective of any predefined classifications.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by britcott30 »

Yes I think so. The theme and issues in the book can relate to our society. It also can reflects to reality that we live in now.
Jay Lu
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

The Great Migration is more than a sci-fi novel; it delves into faith, human nature, and societal issues. Steve Ramirez, with his rich world-building and vivid character development, presents a profound insight and reflection on the real world. This book offers a journey of thought and emotion for sci-fi enthusiasts.
Sudhanshu Ranjan 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudhanshu-ranjan-1.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Sudhanshu Ranjan 1 »

Does this book have vulgarity?
Emma Ussel
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-ussel.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Emma Ussel »

I do think it goes beyond SciFi, it dives into anticipation in a certain way, extrapolating from the current world's stakes in an interesting way. I do think it infers quite a lot about how the modern issues are perceived and lived by the author, if this makes any sense.
Annabell Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Humanising AI by Keith Darlington

Post by Annabell Samuel »

The story is epic and relatable. It seemed like something that could have happened sometime in history, especially in the days before civilization. So, I believe the story had depth.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Independence Corrupted by Charles Benjamin Schudson

Post by Harty Muli »

Just like in the real world, the book's religious theme pitied different factions. In the process, it showed how religion binds people and at the same time causes divisions.
Alida Spies
Currently Reading: Circle Of Pearls
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alida-spies.html
Latest Review: Amoura Awakened by Meg Kramer
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 61%

Post by Alida Spies »

In my view, it did. Some great life lessons were mentioned, e.g., the Zuni valuing things that cannot be bought, and Bellona's caution that we should not let the pain that life brings cause us to be unkind. Another aspect worth mentioning is the caring attitude that the team members displayed not only towards each other but also to other people that they met along the way.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Earth's Harmony by Geoffrey Currens

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

"The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez possesses depth beyond being a mere science fiction story. The book incorporates elements of fantasy and science fiction, but it also delves into themes such as relationships, uncertainty, fear, revenge, sacrifice, and the exploration of history and culture within the Kingdom. The multiple storylines, character development, and intricate world-building further cements my opinion that the plot could be a real-world experience.
Sam Jonas
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jonas.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sam Jonas »

Fantasy seems like a very significant part. Considering the thunder valley, and the animals, and then the alien beings.
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: Infliction Point by Mark Hacker

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

Yes, it does! This book is a masterpiece full of great development. It's not just a product of imagination but it also touches on several interesting and current topics of our world as we know it.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”