Did you feel that the content of the book had depth beyond being a science fiction?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Re: Did you feel that the content of the book had depth beyond being a science fiction?

Post by Huini Hellen »

Melisa Jane wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 06:37 This is a discussion topic for the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez

Did you feel that the content of the book had depth beyond being a science fiction?
I found this book personally enlightening, especially on empathy. It was humbling to see Luta taking a completely different perspective towards the botai. Luta was able to convince Bellona to also look out for Keldiari's life, despite Bellona's initial prejudice against the botai. This taught me we are responsibke for the hate and prejudice against each other. Human's pessimism towards aliens or beings they consider unfamiliar make them resistant to collaboarting with them.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Erikpume Victory
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikpume-victory.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Erikpume Victory »

I think It does because it touches interestingly current issues of our world as we can see it today.
Martina Sette
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Post by Martina Sette »

Absolutely! The book went beyond just being sci-fi; it had layers of depth that made me think and reflect. Some themes and insights resonated on a broader level.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

Yes. I felt that the book contains more depth than just the conventional science fiction. It explain some deeper meaning in the concept of religion and faith by exploring the concept of the Faithful, the Chosen, and the True.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Joy in the Valley by Alex D. Scottlynn

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

Zanne Crystle wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 18:30 Yes, I think so. I like the book's inclusion of the role of faith and tradition in society. The book depicts different religious factions in the Kingdom (the Faithful, the Chosen, and the True) and how they clash or coexist. Laena and her students provided a comprehensive explanation of the ideologies of each faction and how they relate to each other. I think the author did a great job of showing how faith can provide comfort, guidance, and hope, but also how it can lead to conflict, intolerance, and violence.
I thought I was the only one who noticed it. The author did not stick to the traditional science fiction but added a bit more depth with the inclusion of faith and different religious factions. So, yeah, it had more depth.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Deadly Sexy Lizzy
Bookshelf Size: 1660
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I think it was also an adventure and a story of perseverance when facing overwhelming tragedy. Not only did Bellona make it through the valley, she also survived the s'orne invasion.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Aleena Augustine »

It most certainly did. Apart from the sci-fi topics, the book also explores many realistic themes, such as teamwork, fellowship, family dynamics, etc. I also appreciated the conflicts between the various religious sects in the book, because, in my opinion, it paints a more realistic picture of the story.
Macelo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macelo.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Macelo »

Yeah of course, it explains details of many things that are happening in this world like greed of leaders in power, the religious conflicts with the many religions in the world and how dangerous situations bring the best and the same time the worst of human beings.
Aida Nuria Montenegro Jerez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aida-nuria-montenegro-jerez.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by Aida Nuria Montenegro Jerez »

Of course, the s'orne really look like modern humans, despite the physical differences and the fact that they were somewhat more advanced than us.
Fatola Fatai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatola-fatai.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Fatola Fatai »

I feel the exploration of themes related to faith and belief indicate a narrative with layers that go beyond the traditional elements of the science fiction genre
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

There is more to the book than the science-fiction. The content of the book includes themes such as values, tolerance of various faiths in the society, interpersonal relationships, trust, responsibilities, power, etc.
Chad Anthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Essential Advice for Buying Your First Home and Navigating through the Mortgage Loan Process by Diana Donnelly

Post by Chad Anthony »

Yes, I agree the content goes beyond science fiction. But the development was amazing. It focused on many themes including religion.
Renee S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Renee S »

Yes, "The Great Migration" has depth beyond being solely a science fiction novel. The narrative incorporates elements of fantasy, political intrigue, and religious unrest and explores societal issues, contributing to a multifaceted and immersive reading experience. The themes of survival, sacrifice, and the exploration of an alternate reality create a narrative with layers that go beyond traditional science fiction.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

Yes, I think the book has depth beyond being science fiction. First of all, when the group was fighting Barongs in the Thunder Valley it showed courage and teamwork. They trusted each other with their lives. Zuni community traditions and culture are still followed to this date and people irrespective of how forward or advanced they are in the Valley have to follow it. When any member of the group loses their life, they all cry and grieve. But to sustain and survive they have to overcome it.
Florence Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-daniel.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Florence Daniel »

The book explores values that transcend traditional genre boundaries, delving into connections rooted in shared experiences, emotions, and understanding. These elements contribute to a richness and complexity that goes beyond predefined classifications.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”