What do you think could enhance the book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Priya Mathew
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mathew.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Re: What do you think could enhance the book?

Post by Priya Mathew »

Huini Hellen wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 08:09
Nasir Shaikh wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 14:33 I've just started learning about the book's plot and potential. Although I haven't finished it yet, I'd appreciate hearing your opinions on whether there are areas that could be improved or if it's perfect for you.
I think the book is perfect, considering it's a first installment. I particularly love how Steve eliminated some characters that would have otherwise diverted focus from the protagonist, without destroying the plot. The premise of the book as it is sets it up for a second installment, which will provide more insight the remaining characters that Steve let live.
I totally agree with what @Huini Hellen said! "The Great Migration" as a first installment is spot on. I love how Steve Ramirez did the character shuffle. Getting rid of some without wrecking the plot. It keeps the focus sharp on the protagonist without any unnecessary side trips.

And yes, the setup for a second installment is on point! I'm all in for more insight into the surviving crew. It's like he's left these breadcrumbs, and I'm so ready to follow the trail in the next book. Can't wait to see where he takes it! Overall, a solid thumbs up from me.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Deadly Sexy Lizzy
Bookshelf Size: 1660
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 82%

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

The number of characters that died after adding their importance to the plot disappointed me. Having so many protagonists was a bit much to keep up with too. I think the shift in focusing on Dorinda and adding Kaldari is going to keep the plot unpredictable but might be hard for other readers to follow.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

A few visual aids like images of the creatures mentioned and maps would have been nice.
Chad Anthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Chad Anthony »

Nothing much. I just feel the characters were much but the author made attempt to blend it together for better understanding. It was also a confusing beginning until I finally got the story.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I think the beginning scenes should be adjusted and the number of characters should be reduced to allow reader easily flow with the story. Aside these I found every other thing about this boot interesting.
Renee S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by Renee S »

I did not think much could be enhanced. This is the first of a saga. My opinion is that it should be fine if the author incorporates further character development and relationships, world-building details, a nuanced exploration of themes, keeps up the pacing and tension, and subplots intricacies in the subsequent books.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: Marijuana Martinis by Liv Hamrick
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

I think the extra-scientific explanation regarding the botai existence and traversing between worlds can surely enhance the Book. I was confused. How such species with a threat to the survival of the Citizens of the kingdom can traverse? Why not reverse migration happen? How could only those occurrences happen after almost every 50 years?
I was also confused at the beginning of the Book. It took me a while to understand what was happening. Hence I reread the chapters.
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajain12 »

To elevate "The Great Migration: Book One" by Steve Ramirez, infusing vibrant sensory details and nuanced emotions can strengthen the reader's bond with characters. Expanding contextual background and incorporating subtle foreshadowing enhances narrative depth for a more immersive experience. Achieving a balance between dialogue and descriptive elements enriches storytelling, ensuring a dynamic and well-paced read.
Florence Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-daniel.html
Latest Review: Seven Principles for Making Your Relationships Work by Michael G Semon

Post by Florence Daniel »

Initially, I found it a bit challenging to grasp the storyline, but as I delved deeper into the book, my enjoyment increased. I went back to reread it for a better understanding from the beginning. I suggest the author consider adjusting the starting scenes for a more accessible and enjoyable introduction.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Bear Against the Sun by Otto Lehrack

Post by Michael Valentine »

The story is great but I would have liked the author to expand more on the character's back stories. I also think that the editing should be worked on because while reading, I encountered some errors. Also, the points of view in this book were scattered; I would appreciate it if the authors linked them up
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

Although I enjoyed this book, I was rather confused at the beginning as to where everything was taking place. I would have really appreciated a description of this world at the beginning, and then I would have had more of a picture in my mind's eye of place and characters in the whole scheme of things.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

I love a good world-building book. It sounds like most people thought there were too many characters and the characters didn’t have enough backstory. Maybe the next book will fix these issues.
Giridhar Achary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giridhar-achary.html
Latest Review: Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.

Post by Giridhar Achary »

The book had an exciting plot and action-packed sequences, which I will praise, but I also found that there were occasional pacing issues due to excessive exposition. All in all, most people concur that "The Great Migration" offers a gripping world with lovable characters. If the pacing issue is developed, it could enhance the book.
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Williams Nnodim »

The author adeptly integrates background and setting details through dynamic dialogue and action instead of cumbersome descriptions, fostering reader engagement. However, occasional forced exposition disrupts the narrative flow and diminishes character relatability. To enhance "The Great Migration: Book One" by Steve Ramirez, streamline complexities, refine language, deepen character distinctiveness, maintain consistent pacing, explore underlying themes, and consider visual aids like maps or illustrations for immersive world-building.
P Sudam Patra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-sudam-patra.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Post by P Sudam Patra »

Yes, I am also thinking that it might be improved by reducing complexity, polishing language, maintaining a steady pace, exploring issues in greater detail, adding visual aids, and improving the connections between the points.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”