What do you think could enhance the book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasir-shaikh.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

What do you think could enhance the book?

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

I've just started learning about the book's plot and potential. Although I haven't finished it yet, I'd appreciate hearing your opinions on whether there are areas that could be improved or if it's perfect for you.
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Jay Lu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

To enhance "The Great Migration: Book One" by Steve Ramirez, consider simplifying the initial complexity for easier reader engagement, further editing for language refinement, making characters more distinct and memorable, ensuring consistent pacing, delving deeper into underlying themes, and perhaps including visual aids like maps or illustrations. Expanding on the backstory and world-building can also enrich the reader's immersion in this fantasy world.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

Jay Lu wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 17:19 To enhance "The Great Migration: Book One" by Steve Ramirez, consider simplifying the initial complexity for easier reader engagement, further editing for language refinement, making characters more distinct and memorable, ensuring consistent pacing, delving deeper into underlying themes, and perhaps including visual aids like maps or illustrations. Expanding on the backstory and world-building can also enrich the reader's immersion in this fantasy world.
That's a really good perspective, and I totally agree about the pictures. I would have liked more details about the background story too. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Sam Jonas
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jonas.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sam Jonas »

It had too many characters. That’s a way to simplify it, but reducing the number of characters.
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: Infliction Point by Mark Hacker

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

I don't agree that there were too many characters. What I believe would enhance the book is the way these different points of view could be connected or intersect a bit more. This way, there is a deeper understanding of the plot and, therefore, we can create an even bigger connection with the different characters.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Huini Hellen »

Nasir Shaikh wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 14:33 I've just started learning about the book's plot and potential. Although I haven't finished it yet, I'd appreciate hearing your opinions on whether there are areas that could be improved or if it's perfect for you.
I think the book is perfect, considering it's a first installment. I particularly love how Steve eliminated some characters that would have otherwise diverted focus from the protagonist, without destroying the plot. The premise of the book as it is sets it up for a second installment, which will provide more insight the remaining characters that Steve let live.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Blood in the Snow by C. Reinhold

Post by Zanne Crystle »

The author does a good job of revealing the story's background and setting through dialogue and action, rather than long and boring descriptions. However, there are times when the exposition feels forced and unrealistic. These parts of the story disrupted the plot's flow and made the characters seem less believable and relatable.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

Patrícia Gomes wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 05:00 I don't agree that there were too many characters. What I believe would enhance the book is the way these different points of view could be connected or intersect a bit more. This way, there is a deeper understanding of the plot and, therefore, we can create an even bigger connection with the different characters.
I agree with you, having lots of characters can be an issue, but it's better to link them well instead of getting rid of some. Making sure each character fits nicely into the story is the way to go, keeping things interesting without losing anyone.
Erikpume Victory
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikpume-victory.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Erikpume Victory »

I think the write should enhance the connection between the points and make it simple for newbies that are venturing into fictional stories to understand
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

Erikpume Victory wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 17:17 I think the write should enhance the connection between the points and make it simple for newbies that are venturing into fictional stories to understand
That's a really good point! Once you start reading fiction, especially sci-fi it can be quite difficult to not feel overwhelmed by the world-building, the different characters, and the overall imagination. I agree with you 100%.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Gallagher Farm by Sara Gallagher-Beck
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 83%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

The only thing that I feel could enhance the book is maybe writing in more of the background story of the characters. For me, there was not too many characters, and as far as the maps and illustrations, I usually just pass over them.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

Jay Lu wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 17:19 To enhance "The Great Migration: Book One" by Steve Ramirez, consider simplifying the initial complexity for easier reader engagement, further editing for language refinement, making characters more distinct and memorable, ensuring consistent pacing, delving deeper into underlying themes, and perhaps including visual aids like maps or illustrations. Expanding on the backstory and world-building can also enrich the reader's immersion in this fantasy world.
I agree! I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone because it can be quite hard to begin reading sci-fi with this book. At the same time is the world-building that catches the reader's attention.
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

Erikpume Victory wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 17:17 I think the write should enhance the connection between the points and make it simple for newbies that are venturing into fictional stories to understand
I 100% agree! It can be difficult to understand such a complicated world-building at first. But once you start to get hold of the book it is hard to put it down. But i agree the complexity should evolve and not be such a dramatic punch right away.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

At first read, I did not quickly grab what was going on, until I read into the book then I started enjoying it. So I went back to read again to enjoy it better from the beginning. I think the author should adjust the starting scenes to an easy-to-understand style.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

Alex Lynn wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 12:19 At first read, I did not quickly grab what was going on, until I read into the book then I started enjoying it. So I went back to read again to enjoy it better from the beginning. I think the author should adjust the starting scenes to an easy-to-understand style.
Absolutely, I can relate to that experience! 😄 It took me some time as well to grasp the beginning when I first started reading it. However, after delving deeper into it, I now have a much better understanding.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”