What topics did you find harder to read?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Patrícia Gomes
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: Infliction Point by Mark Hacker

What topics did you find harder to read?

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

This book was amazing. The world-building is quite immersive and the different points of view lead us to perfectly visualize the author's imagination and what is going on in this chaotic world. I forgot I was reading at times.

However, even though this can not be characterized as a downside, I have to admit some topics can be quite difficult to read about. Not only because they touch on some of our world's current events, but also because they can be triggering depending on the reader's sensitivity and limits.

Which topics did you find harder to read? Which ones did you find extremely similar to some of our world problems?
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Aleena Augustine »

Without a doubt, the portions I found hard to read were the gruesome deaths of some of the characters. However, I loved how their personalities still shone through, as several of them died trying to help others.
I found the 'artificial intelligence' topic to be similar to present problems as the modern-day world does have some concerns regarding its capabilities.
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

Aleena Augustine wrote: 16 Jan 2024, 08:34 Without a doubt, the portions I found hard to read were the gruesome deaths of some of the characters. However, I loved how their personalities still shone through, as several of them died trying to help others.
I found the 'artificial intelligence' topic to be similar to present problems as the modern-day world does have some concerns regarding its capabilities.
I completely agree! The deaths were a harsh reality and when I connected with some of the characters they would not last that long. However they left with a sense of accomplishment and humanity.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I found that the beginning of the book was the hardest to read. The brutal murders of humans and animals was quite disturbing.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Deadly Sexy Lizzy
Bookshelf Size: 1660
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I found the discussion of the s'orne migration and how the Lossavirus developed slowed down the story. It could have been more concise. Learning about black holes and the space/time continuum took away from the action of the current events that were about to occur.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 18:43 I found that the beginning of the book was the hardest to read. The brutal murders of humans and animals was quite disturbing.
Exactly! I think they were necessary to create the vision the author intended, but they were so descriptive sometimes that I found it really disturbing as well!
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The author really describes the death scenes such that I felt they happened right in front of me. I found it hard to read those part again. For example at the mention of different body part being removed out separately and scenes where it describes how the throat is removed. They are so gruesome. Though I love them for their engaging reading quality but I felt discomfort at the same time.
Slayton Natasha Tillett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slayton-natasha-tillett.html
Latest Review: When Your Partner Dies by Millard Hiner

Post by Slayton Natasha Tillett »

The beggining of the book came with lots of gory scene. It wasn't that easy to read it.
Priya Mathew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mathew.html
Latest Review: The House on Tyner by Matthew O’Connell

Post by Priya Mathew »

Personally, I find topics involving excessive violence and highly descriptive scenes of brutality to be challenging to read. While I acknowledge the necessity of portraying the grim consequences of the s'orne invasion from the human perspective in "The Great Migration," it brought to my attention how limited knowledge about our surroundings can cloud our judgment and potentially lead to misguided decisions.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

The most brutal part of the book would definitely be the start of the book with a lot of violent death attached to it. It highlights an element of harsh reality to it.
Kristine Mariel Diaz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-mariel-diaz.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Kristine Mariel Diaz »

On an emotional level, the part where they "clean" the city from the amount of dead bodies is terrible, it made me think about how cities are left after wars and the surviving civilians have to face this situation and clean it themselves to continue a life there. It was heartbreaking.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

The book discusses several topics related to faith, s'orne migration, botai, Lossavirus, and many more I find harder to understand actually. I think I have read those chapters twice.
When Laena was discussing faith in her class she told about the Truths, the Chosen, and the Faithful. I find that a little bit harder to understand.
I was confused when the s'orne attack happened in Guerdon without any prior information.
And more than that when Luta was explaining about botai, s'orne fever, genetic engineering, etc. to Bellona I found that harder to understand. How can s'orne migrate between the worlds?
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

The deaths were the hardest to read. Many others would have felt the same way. Death. Death. Death. Since no character was safe, it was impossible to root for any character.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Andrew Darlington »

Interesting observation. I found the begining of this book very difficult to read. I almost couldnt continue.
Renee S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Renee S »

When Luta explained the concept of botai, it felt like he was pressuring her to document it, persistently insisting at intervals. The recurring nature of his insistence was kind of annoying. I thought the topic of Lossavisus was like the coronavirus pandemic; topics of artificial intelligence and even gods and religion are relevant to our world.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”