Should leaders sacrifice other leaders to forge an alliance?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Should leaders sacrifice other leaders to forge an alliance?

Post by Huini Hellen »

King Cortex and Cormay killed Sconce so Cortex could initiate an alliance with Cormay, which would eventually bring the Chosen to his side and help him resist the Faithful, who Cortex viewed as a threat to the Kingdom. Cortex deliberately killed Sconce because he could not work with both Cormay and Sconce. Does this speak much to his character? Do you think a leader, especially a King, should explore every avenue to guarantee the safety of both his supporters and opposers? Was Cortex's decision justified, especially as a desperate attempt to shield the Kingdom from more destruction by both the s'orne and the Faithful, considering Darkton would then be considered as the most powerful city in the kingdom following the s'orne attack on Guerdon and Crystal cities?
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Patrícia Gomes
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: Infliction Point by Mark Hacker

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

Well, it depends. I agree that in some cases there needs to be a major sacrifice to establish a greater sense of safety and peace, especially within the people of a certain kingdom. However, the example these leaders would present to their people is not of safety but of tragedy. Sacrificing anyone for this matter just shows weakness.
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Blood in the Snow by C. Reinhold

Post by Zanne Crystle »

I was surprised by King Cortez's ruthless move, as I didn't expect it. Some might argue that he did it for the benefit of the kingdom, as he saw Sconce as an obstacle to securing Cormay's alliance, which he believed was crucial for the kingdom's survival. However, a skilled leader should have the ability to maneuver and forge alliances without resorting to violence. While Cortez's focus on protecting the kingdom might be commendable, killing Sconce could be seen as a failure of diplomacy. A truly adept leader would explore other avenues to reconcile differences before resorting to violence.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

The king's choice is far from ideal, and others already pointed out how it went against any diplomacy effort a king is supposed to make. However, facing what looks like a sudden s'orne invasion, the king felt he needed a quick solution and diplomacy can go on very long before reaching an agreement.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Erikpume Victory
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikpume-victory.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Erikpume Victory »

There shouldn't be need for leaders to sacrifice other leaders to forge an alliance. I think there should be so kind of manuever to this.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Homo Fix or Nix
Bookshelf Size: 411
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

King Cortex's decision to sacrifice Sconce for the sake of forging an alliance with Cormay is a complex one, reflecting the often murky waters of leadership and decision-making in times of crisis. It does indeed speak volumes about his character, revealing a willingness to make difficult, even morally questionable decisions for what he perceives as the greater good. In the context of protecting his kingdom, Cortex's choice might be seen as a necessary evil, a harsh reality of leadership where the ends justify the means.

However, this action also raises important questions about the responsibilities of a leader. Should a king prioritize the immediate safety of his kingdom over the principles of loyalty and justice? Cortex's decision, while pragmatic, seems to overlook the potential long-term consequences of such a betrayal, both in terms of trust within his own ranks and his moral integrity.

In the grand scheme, whether his decision was justified is a matter of perspective, hinging on one's values about leadership, loyalty, and the costs of war and peace. It's a decision that undoubtedly shapes the narrative and the dynamics within the kingdom, setting the stage for further developments, especially considering the newfound power of Darkton in the wake of recent attacks.
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Deadly Sexy Lizzy
Bookshelf Size: 1660
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

King Cortez was morally wrong for sacrificing Sconce. First, he was a stand-in king and should not have made a political move that could lead to disaster. I expect in a sequel, Sconce's death could lead to his people revolting and attacking the kingdom.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: Infliction Point by Mark Hacker

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

Zanne Crystle wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 09:14 I was surprised by King Cortez's ruthless move, as I didn't expect it. Some might argue that he did it for the benefit of the kingdom, as he saw Sconce as an obstacle to securing Cormay's alliance, which he believed was crucial for the kingdom's survival. However, a skilled leader should have the ability to maneuver and forge alliances without resorting to violence. While Cortez's focus on protecting the kingdom might be commendable, killing Sconce could be seen as a failure of diplomacy. A truly adept leader would explore other avenues to reconcile differences before resorting to violence.
I couldn't agree more! There is something quite wrong about resorting to violence to defend the kingdom. What kind of message does this translate in the end? That the people should do it as well?
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

In realities and from scenes I have watched in war/historical movies, kings can go any miles to the least of things to do to prevent an attack or greater harm that looms on their kingdoms. I will say this idea is derive from history and how it is often done by past kings. Hence, I will say this peculiarity of the book has a logical base.
Macelo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macelo.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Macelo »

No one should sacrifice other people just for their own bit after all that is someone who has a family I truly believe there is always a solution that doesn't resort to violence
Nimish Gadgil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimish-gadgil.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Nimish Gadgil »

I disagree with the notion that sacrificing someone for an alliance is acceptable. It is unethical.
Priya Mathew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mathew.html
Latest Review: The House on Tyner by Matthew O’Connell

Post by Priya Mathew »

I can see the argument that it was a strategic play, securing Cormay's alliance to face the bigger threats. But, and it's a big but, a top-notch leader should have the finesse to navigate these waters without resorting to the sword. Diplomacy is a skill, right?

Sure, protecting the kingdom is a top priority, and I can respect that. But killing Sconce feels like a shortcut that might come back to bite Cortez. A true leader, in my book, would exhaust every other option before jumping to the drastic measure of taking out a fellow leader. Or had he already exhausted all options and this was the last ditch effort he had?
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

A leader should make every endeavour to ensure the safety of its own people. Also to look for peaceful resolution of the issues with the opposer. Although, there are situations which makes the leader or king to take the decision which is not ethical - to survive, to lead, and to protect the people of his own.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

In a word, no. In any ongoing relationship there needs to be a sense of trust. There must have been another way that we couldn’t see. Having said that, though, I do realize that some sort of sacrifice had to be made. Preferably one that brought benefit to everyone involved.
Merits Anih
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Secret of the Hindu Kush by Anthony Stone

Post by Merits Anih »

I firmly believe that no circumstance ever warrants sacrificing the wellbeing of others in pursuit of one's own interests.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”