Should leaders sacrifice other leaders to forge an alliance?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ivan Kovic
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-kovic.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Re: Should leaders sacrifice other leaders to forge an alliance?

Post by Ivan Kovic »

I firmly believe that no matter how dire the circumstances, there is always an alternative path that preserves life and upholds the sanctity of every individual.
Ivan Kovic
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivan Kovic »

Throughout history, as vividly portrayed in war and historical films, rulers have often been faced with agonizing decisions in the face of impending violence or threats to their domains.
Ivan Kovic
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivan Kovic »

However, the truly wise and ethical leaders have consistently sought solutions that minimize harm and protect the innocent, even if it meant making significant personal sacrifices or enduring hardship themselves.
Ivan Kovic
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivan Kovic »

They understood that the lives of their subjects were not mere bargaining chips, but a sacred trust to be safeguarded at all costs.
P Sudam Patra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-sudam-patra.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by P Sudam Patra »

As of my answer, yes, because if you check any history, it is evident that, but it should be considered as the last option for the well-being of the whole.
Parth Krishna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parth-krishna.html
Latest Review: A Seamless World by Timothy Ishaya
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 21%

Post by Parth Krishna »

Yes, it is the gloomy reality of nature, but it is essential in terms of value.
P Sudam Patra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-sudam-patra.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by P Sudam Patra »

I believe it is dependent on the situation or what is required. If it is truly necessary for the people, the answer is yes; otherwise, alternative options must be considered.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3061
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I would not agree with the approach and definitely do not see the need for it. There are better ways of dealing with resistance and helping to unite people, rather than sacrificing others simply because the one with power has the ability to do so, especially to the extent of murder.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange
Tijesuni Ayobami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tijesuni-ayobami.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Tijesuni Ayobami »

Heck no, I always deem the "sacrifice for greater good" a terrible idea. Who are we to determine whose life is worthy enough for life or death.
Jim Zosson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jim-zosson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Jim Zosson »

Every leaders does what they have to to support their people. I don't like the idea of throwing one under the bus tho.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Ruka N »

Apart from the moral aspect of it. I think it would open situations where life becomes disposable and give leaders opportunities to get rid of their enemies in the name of forging alliance while clearly amassing more power for their own benefits, so i would have to say no.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Radiant3 »

I did not expect such an action from the king. It seemed so out of character and was surprising.

I don't agree that leaders should sacrifice other leaders in order to forge an alliance. First of all, the new alliance would be built on the foundation of an immoral act with the justification that the end justifies the means. As a leader, the position carries a great amount of power which has to be wielded with a greater sense of responsibility and restraint. I think it would be wiser to consider other alternatives that do not entail crossing that moral boundary.
Barongo Mosera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Barongo Mosera »

A leader should make every endeavour to ensure the safety of its own people. Also to look for peaceful resolution of the issues with the opposer. Although, there are situations which makes the leader or king to take the decision which is not ethical - to survive, to lead, and to protect the people of his own.
Julio Sanchez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julio-sanchez.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Julio Sanchez »

Leadership involves the responsibility to make decisions that are not only effective but also just and ethical. Sacrificing another leader to forge an alliance should be approached with caution and broad consideration of all consequences.
Phelix Ouma 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Phelix Ouma 2 »

Sacrificing leaders to forge alliances is a highly controversial and ethically complex decision. While it may achieve short-term gains in terms of forming alliances, it can lead to long-term consequences such as distrust, resentment, and instability within the alliance and among other factions. Leaders should prioritize diplomatic negotiation, mutual respect, and finding common ground to build alliances rather than resorting to extreme measures like sacrificing individuals. Ultimately, true leadership involves fostering cooperation and collaboration rather than manipulation and coercion.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”