What are your thoughts on suggesting this book as a 'first read' to someone?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Leona Rodrigues
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leona-rodrigues.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White
Reading Device: 1400697484

Icon What are your thoughts on suggesting this book as a 'first read' to someone?

Post by Leona Rodrigues »

What are your thoughts on suggesting "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez as a 'first read' to someone?
Attachments
Screenshot_2024-01-17-20-59-29-998-edit_in.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
Screenshot_2024-01-17-20-59-29-998-edit_in.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 425 times
Patrícia Gomes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: Infliction Point by Mark Hacker

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

If you are referring to a first read in the sci-fi genre, I believe it is an excellent book to start and emerge in a new world of adventure and immersive experiences. However, if you are talking about a first read as in recommending it to someone who is not that into books, then I believe they should start with a faster-paced book that is easy to get hold of. This book is incredible, it's just not a good fit for a non-bookish person.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasir-shaikh.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

It's a fantastic pick for a first read, offering a great introduction to the book reading experience, especially in the sci-fi genre. I'm confident that first-time readers will enjoy it as much as I, or we all, have been.
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading: The Warrior's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 32%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

I think depending on the person it would be a great first read. The novel is not super complex and it is extremely entertaining and a good way to introduce someone to the wonder's of the sci-fi genre. It may not be great for everyone, but to those who have expressed an interest in sci-fi would probably enjoy this.
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Sam Jonas
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jonas.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sam Jonas »

It can be a great first read, but don’t forget the human zombie sickness that not everyone would want to read.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I think that this book would be great for a first read for someone. I think that the book is fast-paced enough to keep the attention of a person who doesn't read that much.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Aleena Augustine »

I would definitely suggest this as a 'first read' to a lover of post-apocalyptic fiction. Maybe not to a general fiction reader though, as I feel like the intense focus on survival and the dystopian setting might be too heavy for them.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Below by Stuart Lee

Post by Obc Contentor »

As a first read, this book might not be easily understand. I mean for someone who is just picking novels to read. The person should start with memoir or a faster paced read.
Latest Review: Below by Stuart Lee
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

I agree that this novel is far from an easy first read due to its sophisticated world-building that in some parts slows down its pace. For this reason, I'd suggest it to someone looking for more than just action.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

If you are talking about first time of reading the actual book itself, I'll say the reader should read some reviews about it first to know if they could tolerate the gory scenes. In fact there is a scene where the book mention seeing separate body part split one by one on the ground. This is so bloody and a ready should be forewarned concerning those scenes.
Slayton Natasha Tillett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slayton-natasha-tillett.html
Latest Review: When Your Partner Dies by Millard Hiner

Post by Slayton Natasha Tillett »

I don't think everyone will understand it so I would recommend it to readers of this genre.
Priya Mathew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mathew.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Priya Mathew »

While "The Great Migration" offers a compelling narrative with its intricate plot and diverse characters, I would exercise caution in recommending it as a first read to someone. The initial exposure to intense violence and graphic details might be challenging for some readers. It's a gripping story, but perhaps not the best entry point for those seeking a gentler introduction to the author's work or the genre. However, for those who appreciate a nuanced blend of science fiction and fantasy with a high tolerance for intense scenes, it could prove to be an engaging and thought-provoking choice.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 34%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I think this book might not be the best. You want to choose something fast paced and short, something that keeps reader's attention and it's not too complex. But it also depends on what the person is otherwise into. What genre of movies for example.
Nisse Bourne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nisse Bourne »

I think this book is an amazing introduction into the scifi genre. To be honest, Sci fi isn't really my go to genre, but I loved this book. I was a little concerned reading a dystopian novel with everything happening in the world, but it did not disappoint! I would highly recommend suggesting this book a 'first read' to someone.
Fatola Fatai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatola-fatai.html
Latest Review: Stop Doubting Yourself: Stop Overthinking and Start Living. Finding Freedom in 7 Effortless, Uncomplicated Steps by GJ Malone

Post by Fatola Fatai »

Suggesting the book as a first read depends on individual preferences. However, interesting aspects of the book, such as the inclusion of diverse characters, and thrilling plots, make it seem to me like a potentially engaging choice for anyone new to the science fiction genre.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”