What are your thoughts on suggesting this book as a 'first read' to someone?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ortilia Carmelita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ortilia-carmelita.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Re: What are your thoughts on suggesting this book as a 'first read' to someone?

Post by Ortilia Carmelita »

Nevertheless, with its blend of innovation and diversity within an accessible adventure format, I believe this book contains elements broad enough to intrigue new readers interested in dipping their toes into science fiction’s expansive waters.
Ortilia Carmelita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ortilia-carmelita.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Ortilia Carmelita »

As much as individual preferences rightly guide our media choices, an open and eager mind stands ready to be sparked by ideas and representations yet unconsidered. This book may well provide that spark for the right reader.
Giridhar Achary
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giridhar-achary.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Giridhar Achary »

The book is praised for its thrilling plot, action-packed scenes, compelling universe, and endearing characters. It's an entertaining first read for sci-fi enthusiasts, making it a great introduction to the genre.
Seval Duygu Ozler
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Anatomy of Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seval-duygu-ozler.html
Latest Review: Catch a Falling Star by Keith Julius
fav_author_id: 2484
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Seval Duygu Ozler »

I think it may or may not be suitable for first reading, depending on the person. It is not a very complicated and difficult to understand book, but it may be difficult for someone who reads it for the first time to focus and stay in flow. Still, I think everyone will enjoy reading it.
P Sudam Patra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-sudam-patra.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by P Sudam Patra »

If you enjoy science fiction and adventure novels, the first read will also be pleasant. If you don't like this type of genre, then it depends.
Parth Krishna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parth-krishna.html
Latest Review: A Seamless World by Timothy Ishaya
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 21%

Post by Parth Krishna »

I will advise people, as I did when I first read it, to finish other works of yours and set yourself free because once you start the thriller, you won't be able to stop.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3061
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I would not hesitate to recommend the book as a first read to an ardent reader. The introduction was gripping and the character development brilliant, and hence I am certain many readers will enjoy poring over the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange
Tijesuni Ayobami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tijesuni-ayobami.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Tijesuni Ayobami »

As a first read, this book will be tough and cranial straining book. I'd advise only people who are looking for deep thought sci-fi genre books and are patient enough to allow the plot settle, to read this.
Jim Zosson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jim-zosson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Jim Zosson »

It would be a great first read. It is an amazing book that will keep the reader engrossed throughout.
Sean Patrick Tracy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-patrick-tracy.html
Latest Review: If... and other stories by Claire Frieze

Post by Sean Patrick Tracy »

For someone that is just starting out on sci-fi genre, I would suggest reading a short and faster paced book. Or, less complex plot in action books. From there, they can take up in reading this type of book enjoyably.
Barongo Mosera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Barongo Mosera »

I think depending on the person it would be a great first read. The novel is not super complex and it is extremely entertaining and a good way to introduce someone to the wonder's of the sci-fi genre. It may not be great for everyone, but to those who have expressed an interest in sci-fi would probably enjoy this.
Julio Sanchez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julio-sanchez.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Julio Sanchez »

Suggesting "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" as a 'first read' to someone can be a great idea, especially if they have an interest in science fiction or epic narratives that explore complex universes and characters. The book's strengths, such as its immersive world-building and engaging, multi-layered plot, make it an appealing choice for newcomers to the genre. It could provide a compelling introduction to the depth and creativity that science fiction offers, with its mix of action, politics, and personal development. However, if the person is not typically drawn to sci-fi or complex narratives, they might find it a bit challenging as an introductory book. In such cases, it might be helpful to gauge their preferences or suggest a lighter read to start.
Phelix Ouma 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Phelix Ouma 2 »

Suggesting "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" as a first read to someone depends on their interests and reading preferences. If they enjoy immersive science fiction with rich world-building, complex characters, and intricate plots, then it could be an excellent choice.
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Trouble Ain't Nothin' But a Word
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by williams Emerald »

Suggesting “The Great Migration: Book One of the S’orne Saga” by Steve Ramirez as a ‘first read’ to someone could be a fantastic idea, especially if they have an interest in science fiction or fantasy. The book’s captivating plot and imaginative setting could draw new readers into the genre. However, if they’re not used to complex narratives or extensive world-building, they might find the array of characters and unfamiliar terms a bit challenging at first. If that’s the case, ensuring they are comfortable with a more layered read or providing some additional support, like discussing the book as they progress, could make their experience more enjoyable. For those eager to dive into a rich, expansive universe, this book could be a great gateway into the delights of speculative fiction.
Ouko Okach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Ouko Okach »

I think that this book would be great for a first read for someone. I think that the book is fast-paced enough to keep the attention of a person who doesn't read that much.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”