Did you agree with everything in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master.

Attachments
MO240128 (20).jpg
MO240128 (20).jpg (6.21 MiB) Viewed 509 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

A particular statement towards the book's end intrigued me: "People in many parts of the world claim to live in a free society. But do they really?" This prompted the author to compare the freedoms experienced in Pakistan with those in America, presenting a binary view that might narrow our understanding of freedom.
It's crucial to acknowledge that no society embodies perfect freedom. Evaluating a country's freedom level requires a comprehensive analysis of political rights, civil liberties, economic freedom, the rule of law, and respect for fundamental human rights. I wish to tread carefully here, aiming not to offend but to broaden the discussion by highlighting that countries like the Nordic nations (Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark), Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland are often celebrated for their democratic governance, press freedom, and social equality. These examples illustrate that while many countries strive for freedom, each faces unique challenges and areas for improvement.
My intention is to emphasize the diversity and complexity of freedom across the globe. This reflection on the author's comparison invites us to consider a wider array of experiences and governance models, reminding us of the varied landscapes of liberty we navigate and the continuous efforts required to uphold and enhance freedoms in our societies.
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: Breaking Point by Kevin Glenn

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

Cristina-Ioana Toader wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 10:05 A particular statement towards the book's end intrigued me: "People in many parts of the world claim to live in a free society. But do they really?" This prompted the author to compare the freedoms experienced in Pakistan with those in America, presenting a binary view that might narrow our understanding of freedom.
It's crucial to acknowledge that no society embodies perfect freedom. Evaluating a country's freedom level requires a comprehensive analysis of political rights, civil liberties, economic freedom, the rule of law, and respect for fundamental human rights. I wish to tread carefully here, aiming not to offend but to broaden the discussion by highlighting that countries like the Nordic nations (Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark), Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland are often celebrated for their democratic governance, press freedom, and social equality. These examples illustrate that while many countries strive for freedom, each faces unique challenges and areas for improvement.
My intention is to emphasize the diversity and complexity of freedom across the globe. This reflection on the author's comparison invites us to consider a wider array of experiences and governance models, reminding us of the varied landscapes of liberty we navigate and the continuous efforts required to uphold and enhance freedoms in our societies.
Wow! I never really thought or analyzed the statement like that, but this is insightful. Thanks for your take on the subject.
Christabel nmeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-nmeso.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christabel nmeso »

I found myself in a place of understanding with this book, so no, there wasn't anything I found disagreeable. The perspectives offered were insightful and resonated with me.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

The use of the absolute word "everything" requires me to answer no to this question. I do agree with most things in the book, however.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Of course not. Agreeing with everything would make it seem like Masters and I are the very same person. Having said that, I am compelled to say that we have very similar perceptions.

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”