Overall rating and opinion of "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Mas

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Overall rating and opinion of "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Mas

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like the least? What did you think of the writing style? What genre is the book? What genres are woven into the text? What did you think of the cover and title? What was the greatest lesson you learned from the book? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on the Bookshelf.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Rahul Singh 29
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: When Business Is Love by Jan Ryde
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 38%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

The author, Ali Master, shares his personal journey of immigrating from Pakistan, a Muslim country with limited freedoms, to the United States, a country that prides itself on its liberties and opportunities.
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: When Business Is Love by Jan Ryde
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 38%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

The book explores the meaning and value of freedom from different perspectives. It has an inspiring story that offers a unique perspective on the American Dream and the immigrant experience.

Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

I share the author's opinion that all Muslims do not hate US. This book will serve as an inspiration to understand that America is not about ethnicity, religion or color of your skin but it's a state of mind. This book will serve as a motivation to new immigrant's to change and express their perspective.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Rupali Mishra »

The meaning and worth of freedom are examined from several angles throughout the book. It contains a moving tale that presents an original viewpoint on the American Dream and the experience of immigration.
Cryptic Spy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Cryptic Spy »

Being a resident of India, do you think it is suitable for Indian readers? I'd like to know since I want to recommend this book to some friends of mine.
Cryptic Spy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Cryptic Spy »

Which format is the book available in, in the reviews section? I'm having problems with Kindle Membership.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

For me, the book deserves five out of five stars. It's such a great read about migration, and I think a lot of people will benefit from the author's story. They will get to see how things turned out in the author's life.
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somtochukwu-o-ezeme.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Somtochukwu O Ezeme »

I would rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. The narrative is sincere and coherent. It is simple to understand. I appreciate his faith and grit. I learned a lot from the book.
Nompulelo Moyo
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan, Cyber War
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lelo-19.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Nompulelo Moyo »

I rate this book 5/5. It gives a different perspective on how some Muslims see America. Most of the time, we are given the impression that all Muslims hate America. Ali gives us a different story. The author is honest.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Gallagher Farm by Sara Gallagher-Beck
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 83%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

The American Dream is something that people in other countries strive for. My grandparents, on both sides of the family, came to America to chase the American Dream. I'm glad they did because I was born and raised in Chicago, and I wouldn't have to face the hardships in other countries.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: I Chose Me by John Marcus Brown

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Cryptic Spy wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 08:55 Being a resident of India, do you think it is suitable for Indian readers? I'd like to know since I want to recommend this book to some friends of mine.
The book is likely to resonate with Indian readers, particularly those interested in immigration stories, cultural integration, and personal success abroad. Its exploration of universal themes such as determination, overcoming adversity, and the pursuit of a better life makes it appealing to a wide audience, including those from India. The memoir offers valuable insights into the immigrant experience in the U.S., making it a relevant and inspiring read for individuals curious about cross-cultural experiences or contemplating moving abroad.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Bear Against the Sun by Otto Lehrack

Post by Michael Valentine »

I love how the book explored the concept of freedom. I love how I was able to see how Muslims view America too. I love how the book was so simple to understand. I don't think there's anything I dislike about the book. Thank you.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

Cryptic Spy wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 09:41 Which format is the book available in, in the reviews section? I'm having problems with Kindle Membership.
If you are interested in purchasing the book, you can find helpful links on shelves/book.php?id=402948 under the "Purchase Links" section. Additionally, if you prefer listening to books, an audio version is available on Audible.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

This memoir captivates with its reflective, descriptive, and deeply personal writing style. The author skillfully draws readers into his world, sharing his emotional journey and the vivid stories that depict the complexities of starting anew in a foreign country. Through introspective reflections, he offers insights into his thoughts and feelings, employing a clear and engaging narrative that resonates with a wide audience. I was particularly struck by Ali Master's openness about his struggles during his school years in America—his candid discussion of toxic relationships, self-destructive behaviors, and a disregard for well-being paints a raw picture of youth.
Moreover, Master's gradual affection for America, which he comes to call home, is deeply moving. Despite numerous challenges, he grew to love this land that provided him the liberty to pursue, discover, and explore new truths freely. The addition of candid photographs further enriches the narrative, offering a visual dimension to his experiences.
For its honesty, relatability, and the journey it portrays, this book earns a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars.

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”