What lessons did you learn from the book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Re: What lessons did you learn from the book?

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

I learned a lot from this book.
I learned that in life the one thing we can expect Is change, how we respond to change is what matters. Ali experienced many changes but his resilience, mindset, and heart enabled him to overcome many situations in Pakistan and America which ultimately led to his success.

Ali was also open to exploration and this allowed him to venture into new possibilities when it came to relationships, culture, religion, career, and even food. There are many references he makes to trying things that he grew up believing were taboo and this very self-exploration unraveled his path as he followed his heart.
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I learned a lot about perseverance. Having recently read a book on hope, this further ignited my resilience to keep going. We can get what we want through perseverance.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

This support dramatically transformed his outlook, replacing indifference with a newfound resilience and determination. What struck me as particularly remarkable was how the author highlighted the unique American philosophy that embraces failure as a stepping stone to success, allowing him to metaphorically hit the reset button multiple times. Adding to this transformative journey was the supportive community he found in America—a group that embraced him with love, regardless of his origins.
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Daberechi Precious »

I learnt the value of empathy and the act of showing kindness to both people we know and those we don't know because we never can tell who will be of help to us tomorrow.
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

I haven't read this book yet. But it is in my reading list. Reading all the above answers inspires me to start it as soon as possible. Thank you all for sharing your opinions.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Ouko Okach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Ouko Okach »

This support dramatically transformed his outlook, replacing indifference with a newfound resilience and determination. What struck me as particularly remarkable was how the author highlighted the unique American philosophy that embraces failure as a stepping stone to success, allowing him to metaphorically hit the reset button multiple times. Adding to this transformative journey was the supportive community he found in America—a group that embraced him with love, regardless of his origins.

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”