To both Americans and a non-Americans: which of Ali's experiences surprised you the most?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Gee-Q Mdluli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Adventures of Uncle Billy and Ross
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-q-mdluli.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

To both Americans and a non-Americans: which of Ali's experiences surprised you the most?

Post by Gee-Q Mdluli »

Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Brief First Encounter by Thomas Miezejeski

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

One aspect of the author's journey that profoundly moved me was the intense emotional turmoil he endured after embracing Christianity upon his return to Karachi. In Pakistan, where religious conversion can be met with social pressure and familial distress, his experience was particularly harrowing.
His conversion led to his parents being judged and ostracized, causing them to reproach him, but this was deeply painful for the author. The distress was palpable in his parents; his father fell severely ill with fever, a physical manifestation of his anguish, while his mother's accusations were cutting: "This is your doing. If he dies, it's your fault." In a desperate attempt to address the situation, his family even resorted to admitting him to a psychiatric hospital, hoping a diagnosis of mental instability might explain his conversion.
The emotional burden was almost too much to bear. Upon moving back to Texas, the ordeal didn't end; his father's letters, twenty pages filled with sorrow and blame, continued to arrive, each one a testament to the lasting emotional scars left by these resulting challenges. This was both disturbing and deeply touching simultaneously.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

Cristina-Ioana Toader wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 05:07 One aspect of the author's journey that profoundly moved me was the intense emotional turmoil he endured after embracing Christianity upon his return to Karachi. In Pakistan, where religious conversion can be met with social pressure and familial distress, his experience was particularly harrowing.
His conversion led to his parents being judged and ostracized, causing them to reproach him, but this was deeply painful for the author. The distress was palpable in his parents; his father fell severely ill with fever, a physical manifestation of his anguish, while his mother's accusations were cutting: "This is your doing. If he dies, it's your fault." In a desperate attempt to address the situation, his family even resorted to admitting him to a psychiatric hospital, hoping a diagnosis of mental instability might explain his conversion.
The emotional burden was almost too much to bear. Upon moving back to Texas, the ordeal didn't end; his father's letters, twenty pages filled with sorrow and blame, continued to arrive, each one a testament to the lasting emotional scars left by these resulting challenges. This was both disturbing and deeply touching simultaneously.
Can you just imagine your mother putting that kind of guilt trip on you? It’s the fodder of nightmares! I have to wonder if it is a cultural norm for families to react so dramatically, or, rather, overreact from our perspective. It certainly could be a way to control behavior for a person of less resolve and stamina. My own father tried similar tactics with me when I married someone of whom he disapproved, so I understand how much pain can be inflicted. However, it didn’t go anywhere near this far. You are so right about it being disturbing and touching.

I wonder how other immigrants deal with their families when they assimilate into new cultures and new religions. Possibly much the same? My own parents might have lost their minds had I converted to anything outside our Christian religion, come to think of it. To them, it would signal eternal damnation. I am sure the author’s family (and any other family) might also feel shamed within their communities, and within their religious congregations especially. Still, to put that much pressure upon their own son seems beyond anything I could do.

My daughter married a Taoist. I am not bothered by that. Would you be? After reading this book, and writing this insightful response to the forum question, how do you think you might react if you had a child who converted to a different religion?
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Brief First Encounter by Thomas Miezejeski

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Can you just imagine your mother putting that kind of guilt trip on you? It’s the fodder of nightmares! I have to wonder if it is a cultural norm for families to react so dramatically, or, rather, overreact from our perspective. It certainly could be a way to control behavior for a person of less resolve and stamina. My own father tried similar tactics with me when I married someone of whom he disapproved, so I understand how much pain can be inflicted. However, it didn’t go anywhere near this far. You are so right about it being disturbing and touching.

I wonder how other immigrants deal with their families when they assimilate into new cultures and new religions. Possibly much the same? My own parents might have lost their minds had I converted to anything outside our Christian religion, come to think of it. To them, it would signal eternal damnation. I am sure the author’s family (and any other family) might also feel shamed within their communities, and within their religious congregations especially. Still, to put that much pressure upon their own son seems beyond anything I could do.

My daughter married a Taoist. I am not bothered by that. Would you be? After reading this book, and writing this insightful response to the forum question, how do you think you might react if you had a child who converted to a different religion?
It seems to me that cultural context plays a significant role in shaping our perspectives, particularly regarding religion. Coming from Europe, where religious indoctrination is less prevalent than in previous generations, I`ve been granted the freedom to choose my beliefs from an early age. As for myself, I intend to be even more open-minded with my child; I aim to offer him the same latitude of choice. Like the author of the book, we all view the world through our unique cultural lenses, just as our parents did through theirs.

I sympathize with the difficulties you've faced with your father. Sometimes, it seems parents exert control over their children out of a misguided sense of love, not realizing the full impact of their actions. As for the topic of religious conversion, I've been fortunate to have supportive parents throughout my life. While my father is quite conservative, I don't believe their reaction to any religious transition I might undertake would be as severe as what the author experienced.

In raising my own child, my highest priority is to support him in every way possible. My personal beliefs should not impede his happiness and well-being. If he feels safe, happy, fulfilled, and at peace, then I am satisfied. These ideals may seem idyllic on paper, and it's one thing to state them now, but I sincerely hope that if, in 15-20 years, my son decides to change his religion, I will stand firm in my current beliefs and support him wholeheartedly.
Is your daughter content? Is she secure and cherished? If the answer is affirmative, then you've succeeded in accepting your child's decisions and placing your trust in her.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Searching for Zen by Albert T. Franklin

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

Cristina-Ioana Toader wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 05:04

It seems to me that cultural context plays a significant role in shaping our perspectives, particularly regarding religion. Coming from Europe, where religious indoctrination is less prevalent than in previous generations, I`ve been granted the freedom to choose my beliefs from an early age. As for myself, I intend to be even more open-minded with my child; I aim to offer him the same latitude of choice. Like the author of the book, we all view the world through our unique cultural lenses, just as our parents did through theirs.

I sympathize with the difficulties you've faced with your father. Sometimes, it seems parents exert control over their children out of a misguided sense of love, not realizing the full impact of their actions. As for the topic of religious conversion, I've been fortunate to have supportive parents throughout my life. While my father is quite conservative, I don't believe their reaction to any religious transition I might undertake would be as severe as what the author experienced.

In raising my own child, my highest priority is to support him in every way possible. My personal beliefs should not impede his happiness and well-being. If he feels safe, happy, fulfilled, and at peace, then I am satisfied. These ideals may seem idyllic on paper, and it's one thing to state them now, but I sincerely hope that if, in 15-20 years, my son decides to change his religion, I will stand firm in my current beliefs and support him wholeheartedly.
Is your daughter content? Is she secure and cherished? If the answer is affirmative, then you've succeeded in accepting your child's decisions and placing your trust in her.
It's fascinating to explore the cultural dynamics and varying reactions within families. The pressure and guilt trips depicted in the book seem extreme, but such reactions can indeed stem from deep cultural and religious values. Immigrants navigating new cultures and religions may face challenges in reconciling traditional beliefs with assimilation.

As for your question about having a child who converted to a different religion,it's clear that reactions can be diverse. Some individuals embrace the diversity and respect their children's choices, much like your acceptance of your daughter's choice to marry a Taoist. Others might struggle with the change, influenced by their own beliefs and societal expectations. It's a complex and personal matter, often involving a balance between individual autonomy and family expectations.
Malleswararao Dasari
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malleswararao-dasari.html
Latest Review: Spirituality In Practice by Dr. Krishnamoorthy (Subbu) Subramanian

Post by Malleswararao Dasari »

For me, it's his conversation to Christianity because Muslims rarely explore other religions. Ali's exploration about Christianity, asking questions about religion and taking a daring a step to convert his religion surprised me the most.
Melvis Okoye
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melvis-okoye.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Melvis Okoye »

Ali Master's experience that surprised me is his profound transformation from adhering to his Muslim faith to discovering a new faith in Christianity. This significant spiritual change is a central theme in "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" and represents a dramatic shift in his personal beliefs and identity
Kenechukwu Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenechukwu-okoye.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Kenechukwu Okoye »

Ali's experience that surprised me most is his transformation from Muslim Faith to Chritian Faith. It wasn't expected initially but along the line, the unpredictability of life played out
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I was not surprised by his mother's manipulative tactics using guilt on her son. Having been exposed to this parenting technique on my students, the situation felt normal.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

His conversion from Islam was strange to me. I cannot comprehend the idea, but no matter how much we read, there are things that we cannot explain.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Him almost committing suicide because of his toxic girlfriend, I understand that she was toxic and he had tried everything, but I wouldn’t think of suicide no matter what.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Silvia Orenge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Silvia Orenge »

Ali Master's experience that surprised me is his profound transformation from adhering to his Muslim faith to discovering a new faith in Christianity. This significant spiritual change is a central theme in "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" and represents a dramatic shift in his personal beliefs and identity

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”