What is your favorite quote from this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master.

Attachments
26.jpg
26.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 639 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Brief First Encounter by Thomas Miezejeski

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

I want to preface this by saying the quote that struck me the most isn't uplifting or traditionally inspiring. Instead, what lingered with me was tied to the author's trauma, specifically: "I truly believed that hiding was for the best, and that dealing with problems alone was normal."
Reflecting on the author's repeated experiences of trauma was profoundly moving. Learning that such experiences were not unique to him but rather disturbingly common among boys his age was devastating. Additionally, the fact that he was punished for the abuse he endured at just 11 years old filled me with anger. Parents play a pivotal role in a child's life; they should be paragons and pillars of trust to whom children can bring their every concern. When he was punished at 11 for something inflicted upon him, it ingrained in him the belief that he was at fault. The idea that he felt unable to share his struggles with his parents is both infuriating and heartbreaking. Hearing about his traumatic experiences has profoundly affected me as a parent, underscoring the importance of being attuned to my child's needs and desires, now and in the future. The notion that a child should deal with problems alone or that hiding is the solution only exacerbates their sense of isolation from friends and loved ones.
RJ Reviews
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 104%

Post by RJ Reviews »

My favorite quote from this book would undoubtedly be "Sometimes, all it takes is for someone to believe in you."
This quote is very close to my heart. Though we're our biggest supporter, sometimes it is important to get recognition from others too. Being acknowledged is important for our self-esteem. It goes a long way when someone praises our efforts and give a pat on our back.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1922
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

My favorite quote from the book is 'Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost, to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!' The author saw these words in a movie displayed to him as the plane descended to New York City while on his way to attend the University of Texas. He witnessed the Statue of Liberty sitting on the plane's left side. The movie flashed a close-up of those powerful words engraved on the pedestal upon which the Statue rests.

The words of the aforementioned quote explain the theme of the book to readers and enlighten them about the vast possibilities and opportunities of life that lay in front of anyone taking refuge in the country and its people.

America welcomes those whom the world rejects and invites immigrants to take shelter and enter through its golden door.
Onuoha Joy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onuoha-joy.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Onuoha Joy »

My favorite quote from this book would undoubtedly be "Sometimes, all it takes is for someone to believe in you."

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”