What did you think of the cover of this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: What did you think of the cover of this book?

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Carol McCoy Phelps wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 16:59 The cover of the book is uninspiring. It takes a moment for me to grasp the symbolism of the glasses sitting beneath the large font of the title. My ADHD brain immediately wonders what they have to do with a golden door before I even see the subtitle. Off on my tangent, the color scheme suggests nothing related to the title either. What golden door? Where is the golden door?

When my eyes scan past the glasses to the subtitle, the brain catches up. Now it makes sense. The lenses in the glasses reflect the two flags representing the two countries. The color scheme works with the symbolism of seeing the American dream through the immigrant's eyes. I get it but I won't write home to Mom about it. The content of the book is far more interesting than the cover suggests.
I'm with you, Carol. I'm expecting to see something reflective of, or that explains, the golden door. However, there is a clarity on the two countries and perspectives in discussion when you get past the title.
shvarya malai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shvarya-malai.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by shvarya malai »

The cover is very eye catching. As I look closely, it has more meaning. The glasses with multiple flags emblazoned on the lenses allude to the perspective of someone who has encountered several cultures and viewpoints and is thus able to offer their distinct narrative. Very apt for this memoir.
Loretta Morris 1
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loretta-morris-1.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Loretta Morris 1 »

I love the cover of the book "Beyond the Golden Door" The glasses symbolize looking at two countries that are different. They both have grey areas. That is the meaning of the grey background of the book cover. Both countries are rich in their own right, however, Ali chooses a life in America. The land of opportunity. He struggles in America, but he reaches his goals, eventually. He chooses the Christian faith, eventually excels in education, achieves a steady career, and has a family. Beyond the Golden door is accomplishments achieved in America. The book is awesome!
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

The cover did not capture my attention in any way that let me read this book.
Nor did the title.
The review of the book did interest me more than both.

This book appears on the mentoring reading list, so I selected to read it on this basis purely.

Upon reading the very first few pages, I was beautifully captivated by the author's story through his use of honest reflection, great communication/storytelling skills, and his use of photographs in the book, reinforcing pivotal moments in his life.

I am aware of the famous Statue of Liberty and while reading pages 33 to 36, I grasped the value of the book title.
This was an enriching moment for me.
I particularly felt as if through the author's eyes, I was experiencing what Lady Liberty represented to him in that moment of time:" Freedom" as well as opportunity.

I am now aware, because of these pages and Ali Master's transitional experience, of the beautiful words engraved on the pedestal, upon which this Statue rests;

“Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost, to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

This book opened my eyes to Pakistani politics and culture in contrast to American politics and culture and it also opened a doorway of reference in terms of how I exist in my own journey and culture currently, concerning freedom ( I am of Indian descent, born as a South African during 1984).

The book cover, I realize amidst my reading experience, is very appropriate and encapsulates the core message of the author and it has reminded me of words that I have uttered repeatedly throughout my own life " Don't judge a book by its cover!" 😉

I am " beyond" grateful to have explored this book.
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The cover effectively complements the title by depicting the perspective of an immigrant, symbolized by the pair of glasses on the table adorned with various flags. Its uniqueness and catchiness make it an apt representation of the book's theme.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

The cover of the book is not that intriguing. It's simple, however, covers are supposed to be creative and imaginative.
Mark Maxwell 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-maxwell-2.html
Latest Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts by John Mitchell

Post by Mark Maxwell 2 »

The cover of the book seems to carry a profound symbolic meaning that reflects the essence of the story within. The depiction of glasses with the flags of both the USA and Pakistan suggests a poignant representation of the author's journey from his homeland of Pakistan to pursue his dreams in the United States. The straightforward yet unique design effectively communicates the central themes of the book, making it visually captivating and inviting for readers intrigued by tales of immigration, cultural identity, and the pursuit of one's aspirations.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

The cover tells you what to expect when you read the book. It captures the potential reader's attention and has a calming look.
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

The cover of the book is amazing. I must commend the designer and whoever came up with the idea. It adequately depicts what is expected of the book in a really thoughtful manner.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: A Miracle For Evi by Eva-Maria Frank
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 540%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

The cover reflects well the lenses that the author uses. It tells less about the book. I would be interesting more in the content.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

The cover of the book is uninspiring. It takes a moment for me to grasp the symbolism of the glasses sitting beneath the large font of the title. My ADHD brain immediately wonders what they have to do with a golden door before I even see the subtitle. Off on my tangent, the color scheme suggests nothing related to the title either. What golden door? Where is the golden door?
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green

Post by Ika Apro »

The cover was one of the reason I picked up the book. It is so clear and intriguing as I interpret its meaning. I appreciate it a lot.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Homo Fix or Nix
Bookshelf Size: 411
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This cover page is simple yet conveys a profound message. The spectacles displaying the US flag on one side and the Pakistani flag on the other symbolize the transformation in the author's perspectives following his change of citizenship. This shift encompasses not only his nationality but also the various elements that define his personality and identity.
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Aditii Mehta »

The two different flags on each lens of the glasses suggest different cultures, experiences and knowledge. It is simple yet creative. It actually captivated my attention. Loved the art of it!
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Daberechi Precious »

Once I saw the book cover, I was moved to read this book. It was so inspiring and eye catching.

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”