What did you think of the cover of this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master.

Attachments
25.jpg
25.jpg (6.43 MiB) Viewed 753 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Brief First Encounter by Thomas Miezejeski

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

The cover features a pair of glasses with one lens showing the flag of Pakistan and the other the flag of the United States. This imagery symbolizes the dual perspective of the author, reflecting on his origins in Pakistan and his experiences in the United States. The glasses suggest a focus on perception, aligning with the book's theme of viewing the American Dream through an immigrant's eyes.
Overall, the cover is clean and straightforward. It's both a visual metaphor for the author's journey and a literal representation of seeing life through a lens shaped by two different national experiences.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

The cover of the book is uninspiring. It takes a moment for me to grasp the symbolism of the glasses sitting beneath the large font of the title. My ADHD brain immediately wonders what they have to do with a golden door before I even see the subtitle. Off on my tangent, the color scheme suggests nothing related to the title either. What golden door? Where is the golden door?

When my eyes scan past the glasses to the subtitle, the brain catches up. Now it makes sense. The lenses in the glasses reflect the two flags representing the two countries. The color scheme works with the symbolism of seeing the American dream through the immigrant's eyes. I get it but I won't write home to Mom about it. The content of the book is far more interesting than the cover suggests.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I believe that if you look closely, the book cover holds a deeper significance. The glasses with various flags on the lenses suggest the viewpoint of someone who has experienced different cultures and perspectives, and can provide their unique narrative as a result.
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

The cover of the book was nice and colorful. It was one of the reasons I picked up this book and I don’t regret that decision
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

I believe the cover matches the title. Seeing through an immigrant's eyes could be likened to the pair of glasses on the table with different flags. It is also catchy and unique.
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-chege-2.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

One lens shows a Pakistan flag while the other the US flag. I expected an amalgamation of the two countries, whether a comparison in cultures, political war or a topic related to religion. Instead, I got a pleasant surprise that made my day. It was a great fit!
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

Sunday Onuoha wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 02:52 The cover of the book was nice and colorful. It was one of the reasons I picked up this book and I don’t regret that decision
Ali Master took his time in crafting a good cover photo to match his content. It was spectacular!
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

Eva Nyaburi wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 22:18 I believe that if you look closely, the book cover holds a deeper significance. The glasses with various flags on the lenses suggest the viewpoint of someone who has experienced different cultures and perspectives, and can provide their unique narrative as a result.
The cover photo was almost like a work of art, where each reader can deduce anything from it, especially with the glasses showing different flags on each lens. I loved it!
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favy-moses.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Favy Moses »

The cover of this book holds a deep significance to what the book is after all. Like the glasses showing the flags of the USA and that of Pakistan. Pakistan being his home country and USA the country of his dreams. I really liked the cover very unique and straight forward.
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

The cover of the book was created perfectly. It is very creative yet so simple. It was very attractive and captivating, so I think a lot of attention, detail, and work was put into creating it.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I liked the book's cover because it symbolises the book's concept - the spectacles with the Pakistani flag for one lens and the American flag for another lens are a great representation of how Ali felt as a Pakistani immigrant to the United States, that the two cultures were always present in his perspective on the life in the United States. A great, meaningful cover!
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

The US flag appears in one lens and the flag of Pakistan in the other. I anticipated a blending of the two nations, be it a religious subject, a political conflict, or a cultural contrast. Rather, I received a delightful surprise that brightened my day. It fit perfectly.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasir-shaikh.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

Anthony Ekemezie wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 12:57 The US flag appears in one lens and the flag of Pakistan in the other. I anticipated a blending of the two nations, be it a religious subject, a political conflict, or a cultural contrast. Rather, I received a delightful surprise that brightened my day. It fit perfectly.
That's exact my reaction haha, I completely agree you.
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

The cover image does a good job of enticing potential readers and giving them an idea of what perspectives the author views the world from.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”