What did you think of the cover of this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What did you think of the cover of this book?

Post by Amy Luman »

I liked looking at the cover. It brings to mind the essentials of everyone being a part of the same world regardless of their religion. I don’t think, though, that it gives a real understanding of the book’s contents.
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: painkiller brainkiller by James m powers II

Post by Seetha E »

The two flags and spectacles perfectly complement the subtitle, "Seeing An American Dream Through An Immigrant's Eyes." However, the main title, "Beyond the Golden Door," did not create the desired first impression for the cover.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

The cover of the book contains spectacles, with one lens showing the Pakistan flag, the author's home country, and the other lens showing the American flag, the country the author has come to pursue his dreams in. Thus, the cover of the book signifies that we will explore the differences in customs, lifestyles, people, and other aspects of these two countries through the author's perspective.
Lily Walker 1
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-walker-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Lily Walker 1 »

I think that it is an interesting color, and I know that it has symbolism, but as a media design major, I can tell you that it’s extremely bland and doesn’t catch the eye at all. The dull blue background does nothing for the glasses, and the title doesn’t pop in the way that it needs to in order to draw readers in. I think that those who cover shop (buy books based on their covers) are never going to pick up this book, which is disappointing.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

The cover of the book is amazing. The author has rightly mentioned his purpose in writing this book. This book is his debut memoir. It is written from an immigrant perspective. The American dream is achievable. The author tries to change the perspective of many. America is the land of opportunity and consequences. Beyond the Golden Door is about his struggles and achievements in the American soil.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

The cover was beautiful. The glasses I believe depict the eyes and we can see the flag of the country the author talks about through the lens. The other frame depicts night time showing a dream. Together, these show the American dream and the through the frame, we see the dream through an immigrant's eyes.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

One positive aspect of this book is definitely how simple the layout is. The way the two flags of Pakistan and the United States are in the foreground of the cover makes you understand what the book is about right away. However, on a more personal note, I feel like this cover is way too empty, so it wouldn't catch my eye if I saw it in a bookstore.
Angus Zonny
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angus-zonny.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Angus Zonny »

The colour of the book is very colourful and I love it. It caught my attention and made me want to read the book.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Diala Macak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diala-macak.html
Latest Review: Requiem - Book 2: Exposed by Taveyah LaShay

Post by Diala Macak »

The cover hints at what to expect from the book. Two eyes see one picture.But with two different lenses, there will be confusion, which hints at our main character's journey.
Malleswararao Dasari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malleswararao-dasari.html
Latest Review: Spirituality In Practice by Dr. Krishnamoorthy (Subbu) Subramanian

Post by Malleswararao Dasari »

The cover is very straightforward yet innovative. In the book we get to see different aspects of the US and Pakistan through the Ail's eyes, which is perfectly portrayed through the cover which contain glasses which has American flag on one lens and Pakistan flag on the other.
Christina Shupe
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-shupe.html
Latest Review: Nekkid Lake by Noah Bond

Post by Christina Shupe »

The cover was well picked. It's eye-catching and gets you to look at the book more closely to see what it is about. The image does a great job at introducing the subject of the book.
Kaitlin Bryant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-bryant.html
Latest Review: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies by Johnny M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlin Bryant »

I feel like the cover could use some work. It doesn't grab my attention.
I can't necessarily figure out what the book is about just from looking at the cover.
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

I'm not so sure I like it, but it's presentable overall. The cover art (glasses with the two flags on them) leaves so much to imagination which may spark interest, but it's not the most outstanding in my opinion. Nice cover though.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Does anyone know the story of why there are two covers on the OBC site and which is the correct one? One cover has the glasses and the other cover has the open door and the Statue of Liberty.
Joy Wendy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-wendy.html
Latest Review: From Brokenness to Atonement, Faith, Hope, and Love: A Vietnam War Sniper’s Journey and a Psychiatrist’s Biblioth by Hani Raoul Khouzam MD;MPH;FAPA.

Post by Joy Wendy »

Sometimes, the cover of book influence our choice while picking books and this book was one of them. It was the cover of this bòk that made me want to read the book. It looks intriguing and nice.

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”