Do you think the book is more suitable to Christians only or to all religious backgrounds?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Oleabhiele Joseph
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oleabhiele-joseph.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Do you think the book is more suitable to Christians only or to all religious backgrounds?

Post by Oleabhiele Joseph »

Master did not mince words words when speaking about his conversion to Christianity in Texas, and his love for Christ afterwards. Thant said, do you think the book is best suited for Christian readers, or it’s readership should not be based on religion. Thoughts?
“You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome, 161 AD -180 AD
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

"The Master's candid description of his conversion to Christianity in Texas and his subsequent love for Christ may lead some to believe that the book is primarily intended for Christian readers. However, it is important to consider that a book's readership should not be exclusively determined by religion.

While the theme of Christianity may hold significant relevance and resonance for Christian readers, the book can still offer valuable insights and perspectives to readers of diverse backgrounds and beliefs. The Master's personal journey and his exploration of faith can serve as a catalyst for introspection, regardless of one's religious affiliation.

The themes of personal transformation, spiritual growth, and the search for meaning are universal, transcending specific religious contexts. By delving into broader human experiences, the book has the potential to resonate with readers who are interested in exploring themes of identity, purpose, and the complexities of faith.

Furthermore, a work of literature can provide an opportunity for readers to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for different perspectives, cultures, and belief systems. Even readers who do not share the same religious convictions as the author can engage with the book in a meaningful way, learning about the Master's journey and the impact of his faith on his life.

In summary, while the book may particularly resonate with Christian readers due to its exploration of faith and love for Christ, it should not be limited solely to that readership. Its themes and insights can be relevant and thought-provoking for individuals from diverse religious and non-religious backgrounds who are open to exploring the complexities of personal transformation, spirituality, and the search for meaning."
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

The book is equally suited for anybody. Christians would enjoy the book as much as anyone irrespective of there religious backgrounds
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I think people of all religions would benefit from reading this book and getting some insight from it.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

I think religious limitations does not apply here. The book was a bit of everything so it would suit all religions at best.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Brief First Encounter by Thomas Miezejeski

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

While the book might hold specific interest for Christian readers due to the author's religious background and experiences, its themes and narrative should not limit its audience. Readers of various faiths, as well as those interested in immigration, self-discovery, and the American Dream, can find value and meaning within its pages.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

While the book might hold specific interest for Christian readers due to the author's religious background and experiences, its themes and narrative should not limit its audience. Readers of various faiths, as well as those interested in immigration, self-discovery, and the American Dream, can find value and meaning within its pages.
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-chege-2.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

Religion was a segment in the book and not the main plot. His conversion to Christianity was a part of his journey, so there's more to the installment. The book is suitable for anyone outside Christianity.
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-chege-2.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

ikechukwuamarachi+55 wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 10:02 While the book might hold specific interest for Christian readers due to the author's religious background and experiences, its themes and narrative should not limit its audience. Readers of various faiths, as well as those interested in immigration, self-discovery, and the American Dream, can find value and meaning within its pages.
I agree. Though it holds significant value. there is so much to the book than just religion. Non-Christians should read it as well.
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favy-moses.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Favy Moses »

I believe this book has no limitations to any religion though has more intriguing interest to Christians , i still believe that our religious diffirence put aside we have some valuable things to learn as one.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I think that this book is certainly suitable for all religious backgrounds. Ali found himself exposed to the prevailing Christian culture having immigrated from his Muslim background in Pakistan, and succeeded in adapting to his new life in the USA. This book is an amazing lesson for people of any religious background who face the challenge of living in a country with a different prevailing culture and religion. Even Christians living in a country of a different Christian confession will find this book very relatable - I easily related it to my life as an Anglican in the predominantly Greek Orthodox culture of Cyprus - one example is the sign of the cross, as I noticed some Greek Orthodox people frowning on my crossing left to right and with the left hand and never kissing icons when on a tour at Greek Orthodox churches. It is, of course, a more drastic contrast for completely different religions.
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Williams Nnodim »

I think the book is suitable for people from any religion
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: And the Hills Replied by Sparhawk Hutchins
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Post by Martina Sette »

I think this book is suitable for everyone, appealing to both Christians and individuals of diverse religious backgrounds alike.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasir-shaikh.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

Donald Cecil Hufstedler wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 18:13 "The Master's candid description of his conversion to Christianity in Texas and his subsequent love for Christ may lead some to believe that the book is primarily intended for Christian readers. However, it is important to consider that a book's readership should not be exclusively determined by religion.

While the theme of Christianity may hold significant relevance and resonance for Christian readers, the book can still offer valuable insights and perspectives to readers of diverse backgrounds and beliefs. The Master's personal journey and his exploration of faith can serve as a catalyst for introspection, regardless of one's religious affiliation.

The themes of personal transformation, spiritual growth, and the search for meaning are universal, transcending specific religious contexts. By delving into broader human experiences, the book has the potential to resonate with readers who are interested in exploring themes of identity, purpose, and the complexities of faith.

Furthermore, a work of literature can provide an opportunity for readers to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for different perspectives, cultures, and belief systems. Even readers who do not share the same religious convictions as the author can engage with the book in a meaningful way, learning about the Master's journey and the impact of his faith on his life.

In summary, while the book may particularly resonate with Christian readers due to its exploration of faith and love for Christ, it should not be limited solely to that readership. Its themes and insights can be relevant and thought-provoking for individuals from diverse religious and non-religious backgrounds who are open to exploring the complexities of personal transformation, spirituality, and the search for meaning."
Wow, your reply was so detailed and professional, it's awesome to see this review.
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The story is not just about religion, it is about understanding the perspective of the other person, particularly the perspective of the immigrant. Readers from all religions or non-religion can enjoy this book.

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”