Did you find this book humorous?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Did you find this book humorous?

Post by Diana Lowery »

Although the book had some amusing parts, it wasn't exactly humorous. Those scenes were more about someone not knowing the culture of the country. As a traveler, I have found myself in those situations and could easily relate to the author's embarrassment.
Kenechukwu Okoye
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenechukwu-okoye.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Kenechukwu Okoye »

Yes, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master is described as having humorous elements. The book is characterized as a compelling, sometimes tense, and often humorous story.
Oluwagbenga Akangbe
Favorite Book: Fireproof Happiness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwagbenga-akangbe.html
Latest Review: Ophelia by Norman Bacal
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 270%

Post by Oluwagbenga Akangbe »

I did enjoy the book quite a bit, it had it's moments of course and some of the scenes just brought a smile to my face. Clearly, it wasn't like it was a comedy spree or a satirical writing.
shvarya malai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shvarya-malai.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by shvarya malai »

It is not a laugh out loud kinda book, but it does keep you pleasantly smiling throughout. Ali has written this in a very amusing manner and I was very much engrossed in his journey.
Chidera Ezeakolam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chidera-ezeakolam.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chidera Ezeakolam »

I wouldnt say I found it humorous in the ideal sense, instead, it is more of a powerful and inspiring memoir.
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

This book was greatly balanced in the sense of communicating some deep and dark matters with doses of humor.
In a sense, this reveals the ability of Ali Master to transcend his challenging life circumstances and constraints, ultimately finding freedom and success on many levels of his life in America.

There were hints of humor as Master reflected on many critical things that confined him in terms of Islam, Pakistani politics, and cases of sexual predators, alcohol abuse, toxicity, murder, death, and possible suicide.
Whenever there were dark moments in the book, these moments were not dwelled on for dramatic effect but either smirked at, brushed off, richly evaluated, or laughed upon through reflection as he progressed further, developing into the journey of his liberation, gratitude, and joy.
The author's tone I found, was dipped in satire, which majorly contributed to this and I suspect my own connectivity to certain subjects he presented and how he presented them made me smile or laugh.

The more directly humorous moments were:

When Judy first met Ali, she suspected him to be a rapist, this was her first impression of the guy she later gets married to,
and,
the moment when Ali decides ( via his mental conversations with God) to help a stranger at the Houston International Airport, by quickly swapping clothes in the men's room so that the guy Calvin, can board his plane with the correct dress code, leaving the gate agent speechless and Judy stunned (when she meets Ali) in baggy Bahama shorts, oversized sneakers and the OP tank top 😄 A tense hopeless and emotional situation here was quickly switched up to sheer spontaneity, joy and humor, reflecting on the author's state of spiritual growth and liberation at this point.
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The memoir offers light and amusing insights into Muslim culture, blending humor with serious themes like minority insecurities in America. The author's wit shines in recounting childhood events in Pakistan, while humorous moments, like the vending machine mishap and cultural comparisons, effortlessly evoke smiles, showcasing his successful transition to life in America.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: The Real Mr. Big by Ron Chepesiuk with Jesus Ruiz Henao

Post by Zainab Wasif »

The book is humorous, especially when the author talks about cultural shocks in America. He compares life in Pakistan with life in America in a funny way. These parts don't make you burst into laughter but instead, they make you smile.
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I found certain points in the book humourous. Generally, I think I found the style of narration humourous. The way the author described his culture shocks was certainly funny.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

These moments aren't about inducing uproarious laughter but rather, they gently coax a smile, leaving you feeling somewhat joyous for the author's successful transition to a country where life seemed better for him.
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green

Post by Ika Apro »

I found the book more tragic than humorous. Even though there were some light-hearted moments, I still always felt the pressure of the cultural differences.
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Daberechi Precious »

Yes I will say this book is humorous. All through my read it was fun and I enjoyed every bit of it.
Silvia Orenge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-orenge.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Silvia Orenge »

Yes, the memoir was light and amusing, revealing the myths and beliefs of the Muslim culture. I liked the author's sense of humor in describing his early life and childhood events in Pakistan. Also, the author describes the serious theme of the book of the insecurities faced by a member of the minority community in America in such a light and entertaining manner that readers feel inclined to build a solid and positive opinion about the book.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

The tone of the book was lighthearted; the very first chapter convinced me that the author had a subtle sense of humor.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Ouko Okach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Ouko Okach »

Then there's the visit to McDonald's, where the author insightfully captures why such a place is a wonderland for children. Many of his observations comparing life in Pakistan with life in America are humorously sketched

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”