What did you like most about this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Shewaofafrica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shewaofafrica.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: What did you like most about this book?

Post by Shewaofafrica »

I liked that the book offers valuable insights into the immigrant experience, providing readers with a nuanced understanding of cultural shifts, identity formation, and the pursuit of freedom. By delving into the personal narrative of Ali Master, it humanizes complex themes of immigration, inviting readers to empathize with the challenges and triumphs faced by individuals navigating new cultural landscapes. Additionally, the comparative analysis of Pakistan and the United States sheds light on broader societal issues, fostering dialogue on topics such as political freedoms, societal norms, and the pursuit of opportunity.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Marina Flisvou »

What I liked most about "Beyond the Golden Door" was how it shared a deeply personal journey with honesty and bravery. Reading about Ali Master's experiences of moving to a new country and adapting to a whole different way of life was both inspiring and eye-opening. His struggles and successes made me root for him throughout the book. I especially appreciated the way he talked about his change in faith with such openness. It was also fascinating to see how he pursued the American Dream and made it his own. This story is a powerful reminder of the strength of the human spirit.
Marina
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Sunday N Florence »

Ali's experiences have profoundly altered my outlook on life and the privileges we often overlook. His bravery in navigating a foreign land and carving out a place for himself in society brings a sense of joy to my heart.
Aurora Benjamin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurora-benjamin.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Aurora Benjamin »

Drawn to resilience and determination stories: Heroes persevere against challenges, navigate life's trials. Master's pursuit of change impresses deeply. Vulnerability in facing mistakes adds profound humanity, compelling narrative. Admire tenacity and bravery in sharing journey candidly. Testament to perseverance power. Celebrate honesty and openness about experiences.
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I love that the author was bare with the story. The story was humourous as it had a lot of funny moments. This keeps readers engaged. However, the book was also insightful.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

In essence, it's his tenacity and the bravery he exhibits in candidly sharing his journey that I admire most. His story is a testament to the power of perseverance, and I wholeheartedly celebrate his honesty and openness about his experiences.
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green

Post by Ika Apro »

As a person to whom Ali's culture is very familiar, I loved reading about his struggles and shocks. It felt very realistic to me.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Aditii Mehta »

Ali's open minded and firm beliefs will definitely put ample amount of energy and optimism in your heart. His immigration in the United States and establishing his rapport is very inspiring to read.
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Daberechi Precious »

Ali's characters made me like this book the more. It was really inspiring and give me hope to work hard in achieving my goals.
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: Butterfly Awakens by Meg Nocero

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

What I like most about this book is the resilience display by Ali. Even when he has to adapt to a totally new environment, he didn't just want to survive, he wanted to thrive.
Centrine Nelima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Centrine Nelima »

I like how it takes someone else's journey to make us appreciate freedom. Whether it's freedom of speech or gender equality, chasing and ultimately living the American Dream should not be taken lightly.Also, I loved how the author's work revives the ancient greatness and inherent values of American culture and tradition. I loved the author, Ali. He possessed a lot of characters which I found inspiring. I loved his perseverance and resilience especially and there was no room for boredom in the book.
Ouko Okach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Ouko Okach »

His vulnerability in facing mistakes lends him a profound humanity, making the narrative all the more compelling. In essence, it's his tenacity and the bravery he exhibits in candidly sharing his journey that I admire most. His story is a testament to the power of perseverance, and I wholeheartedly celebrate his honesty and openness about his experiences.
Stephen Somto E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Stephen Somto E »

The religious accommodation in the book. Before, I could not believe that someone can marry across religion, but the book exposed me to the possibilities in life.

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”