What did you like most about this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master.

Attachments
MO240128 (22).jpg
MO240128 (22).jpg (6.14 MiB) Viewed 896 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Boots,Barracks, and Belly Laughs: A Veteran's Amusing Adventures in Uniform by TSgt William (Bill) Gates (USAF RET)

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

I'm deeply drawn to stories that showcase resilience and determination, featuring heroes who persevere against formidable challenges and navigate through life's trials. Master`s relentless pursuit of meaningful change deeply impressed me. His vulnerability in facing mistakes lends him a profound humanity, making the narrative all the more compelling. In essence, it's his tenacity and the bravery he exhibits in candidly sharing his journey that I admire most. His story is a testament to the power of perseverance, and I wholeheartedly celebrate his honesty and openness about his experiences.
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-chege-2.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

I loved Master's determination to beat all odds in all sectors. First, there was self-discovery and the courage to convert to Christianity. The was he resonated with Jesus Christ was quite moving.
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

In addition, I like how it takes someone else's journey to make us appreciate freedom. Whether it's freedom of speech or gender equality, chasing and ultimately living the American Dream should not be taken lightly.
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

Ali's experiences changed my perspective about life and the good things we take for granted. Further, his valor to push his way through in a foreign land and establish himself in society puts a big smile on my face.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: Crossing the Lines by Michal Regunberg

Post by Olga Markova »

I liked Ali's open-minded resilience in adapting to his new life in the United States after his young years in Pakistan. But most of all, I was impressed by his early childhood attempt to rescue his dying dog. As an animal rescuer, I instantly took to Ali and started to adore him for his empathy, kindness, and determination!
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Williams Nnodim »

Master's relentless pursuit of meaningful change, coupled with vulnerability and candid storytelling, embodies profound humanity and bravery, showcasing the power of perseverance.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Post by Martina Sette »

Master's inspiring journey showcases resilience, vulnerability, and bravery, emphasizing the power of perseverance. His honesty and openness are commendable.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1925
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

What I liked most about this book is how well it explains the plight of an immigrant trying to survive in the U.S. and pursue his American dream to flourish in a free environment. Anyone can put themselves in the author's shoes and experience the joys and sorrows of life. I could identify and connect with the author's experiences most of the time in the book.

Also, I loved how the author's work revives the ancient greatness and inherent values of American culture and tradition.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

The thing I like most about this book is Ali's character. His persistence in achieving his goals, the adaptability he possesses, and his eagerness to learn about other faiths and religions stand out. Most importantly, his courage to go against all odds is truly inspiring.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: You Own Me by Susan Shumaker

Post by Clauson Justin »

I loved the author, Ali. He possessed a lot of characters which I found inspiring. I loved his perseverance and resilience especially and there was no room for boredom in the book.
Malleswararao Dasari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malleswararao-dasari.html
Latest Review: Spirituality In Practice by Dr. Krishnamoorthy (Subbu) Subramanian

Post by Malleswararao Dasari »

I like the author's courageous behavior. He his brave enough to break all the customs and rules of his family and community to reach his goals and to live the life of his dreams.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: Marijuana Martinis by Liv Hamrick

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

Perseverance,Determination,and hard work helped the author to standfast and courageously face all the difficulties and prejudices that he faced in America.He has highlighted the cultural difference between the Pakistan and America.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I like that the author made comparisons between his home country Pakistan and American. He discovered sk many freedoms in the USA which he would never have known of he was still in Pakistan.
Chidera Ezeakolam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chidera-ezeakolam.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chidera Ezeakolam »

What I liked most about "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master is its ability to provide a poignant and authentic portrayal of the immigrant experience in America.

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”