From the five freedoms listed, which one are you most proud of? Why?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master.

Attachments
MO240128 (14).jpg
MO240128 (14).jpg (8.09 MiB) Viewed 869 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: I Chose Me by John Marcus Brown

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

I value the freedom to fail. I'm fond of the distinct American outlook that views failure as a pathway to success, allowing for the metaphorical pressing of the reset button as often as needed. This philosophy encourages learning from setbacks and continually striving for improvement.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

Among the five freedoms outlined in the book, I particularly value the freedom to fail. Sometimes, success and failure are beyond anyone's control. Despite everyone's efforts to succeed in life, there are instances where failure occurs, but from such failures, valuable lessons are learned. Hence, without facing criticism or societal pressure to achieve success, individuals can attain success more swiftly. This is why I appreciate the freedom to fail.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I would agree that the freedom to fail is up there, but it has been driven into me so much that failure is bad that I don't make use of that freedom. The ability to fail is needed in a world of taking risks, and entrepreneurship can only thrive in a place that allows for failure and the ability to restart. However, I think we need to teach more of it in schools, rather than brainwash everyone to lose that sense of risk taking. Although maybe the current generation have already taken that on board through the boom in social media.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

The freedom to fail because we all fail in life and go through many challenges, but we gotta puck our selves up after. I also liked the freedom to vote because not many African country's enjoyed such a freedom.
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

It is a difficult choice to select one as I feel that all 5 Freedoms discussed on pages 191-193 are very valuable in terms of a rather holistic experience of liberation in this experience of life.

I live in a country that experienced apartheid and come from an ancestry that was under the hands of slavery. The stories of the people I know and the challenges faced impacted the basic survival needs in their existence. Some died as a result of not experiencing a range of the 5 freedoms mentioned in this book.

On a personal level, one of the freedoms as an Indian female that lives in South Africa, that I enjoy today is that I married a colored South African ( mixed race). I am a born Christian, of Hindu/ Tamil descent and I married in Islam but still use a diverse spiritual approach in actually living and expressing my life.

I refer to the following Freedom from the book, which I strongly relate to and believe has a significant impact on my journey, which will impact my daughter in terms of her liberation in her journey ( her dream is to go to America in the future):

"•In the Freedom to Love, America offered a culture that allows for a choice to seek out the one you want to spend the rest of your life with."

I chose to marry my partner and he chose me.
This is not the case even today, many people are forced into relationships that their families believe are beneficial/those that fit societal norms, I have witnessed many younger generations end their lives / being trapped in brutal relationships for this reason alone.

I am grateful 🙏 to exercise this freedom in my life, even though it still meets judgment, however, it is not met with the severe persecution that existed in past timelines of our history.

I believe a healthy marital relationship infused with authentic love is a beautiful and divine gift that words do no justice in explaining,in terms of the positive impacts it contributes to a society in the long term.
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The freedom to fail piqued my interest as we all encounter challenges in life and must pick ourselves up afterwards. This is a great book.
Aurora Benjamin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurora-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Tiger's Eye by Scott Delaney

Post by Aurora Benjamin »

Value freedom to fail: Success and failure often beyond control. Learn from failure, gain valuable lessons. Avoid criticism and societal pressure for swift success. Appreciate freedom to fail.
Mark Maxwell 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-maxwell-2.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mark Maxwell 2 »

The freedom to fail, one of the five freedoms highlighted in the book, holds significant value to you, as it acknowledges the inevitability of both success and failure in life. You recognize that despite efforts to succeed, failure can sometimes occur, but it offers valuable lessons for growth and development. Embracing this freedom allows individuals to pursue their goals without fear of criticism or societal pressure, ultimately facilitating a quicker path to success by fostering a culture of resilience and learning from setbacks.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: The Mission by Tara Basi
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

This is a tough choice as I am torn between two choices, freedom to love and freedom to fail. They're both fundamentally important for one to fully experience a life desired. However, if I must choose I go with freedom to Love. If everyone can express this freedom the world will be less chaotic. The quality of life will also improve tremendously.
When people act in certain ways we tend to excuse them because not everyone is loved or allowed to love it's crazy but true.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The Human of All by Ryan Parrett

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I think I would go with the freedom to fail. We are all scared of failure. Sometimes, this keeps us from starting something new. Knowing that we have freedom to fail and start over is great.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: On The Receiving End by Sheila J. Brooks RN, BSN

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

The ability to fail is needed in a world of taking risks, and entrepreneurship can only thrive in a place that allows for failure and the ability to restart. However, I think we need to teach more of it in schools, rather than brainwash everyone to lose that sense of risk taking. Although maybe the current generation have already taken that on board through the boom in social media.
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: 2035 and Beyond - A Guide to Thriving in the Future Workplace by Moira Devlin

Post by Ika Apro »

Freedom to love is very, very important for our society.
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Daberechi Precious »

I value the freedom to fail.
Ouko Okach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Ouko Okach »

. The ability to fail is needed in a world of taking risks, and entrepreneurship can only thrive in a place that allows for failure and the ability to restart. However, I think we need to teach more of it in schools, rather than brainwash everyone to lose that sense of risk taking. Although maybe the current generation have already taken that on board through the boom in social media.

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”