Do you prefer working your way up the corporate ladder in an already established company or starting your own business?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Do you prefer working your way up the corporate ladder in an already established company or starting your own busine

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I think I would love to have my own business, but I don't feel I have the entrepreneurship skills / way of thinking required to make it a success. Climbing the corporate ladder is more in my comfort zone. I would say that having your own business comes with it's own troubles and it never stops 24/7, but then again, how many of nowadays are still reacting to our work 24/7 even when we work for someone else's company.
Jacy Covers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacy-covers.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Jacy Covers »

I have never plannor intended to own a business of my own. I always wanted to work in a respectable firm or company
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I would love to have my own business, but I also want to stand out in a company and climb corporately. Maybe that can be achieved together.
shvarya malai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shvarya-malai.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by shvarya malai »

Personally I'd prefer doing my own thing, but I understand not everybody is built for entrepreneurship. It is risky and uncertain and some people are better off getting financial security working in an already established company.
Malleswararao Dasari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malleswararao-dasari.html
Latest Review: Spirituality In Practice by Dr. Krishnamoorthy (Subbu) Subramanian

Post by Malleswararao Dasari »

I would prefer to start my own business. Because if I start my own business there will more potential to growth, and I can freely implement my own ideas without any restrictions.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I prefer working my way up a corporate larder and also having a backup plan incase I get fired. Starting your own company is OK, but successful is not guaranteed. This means I will work at a corporate firm but also have my own business or something to fall back to incase I loose the firm job
Chidera Ezeakolam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chidera-ezeakolam.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chidera Ezeakolam »

Climbing the corporate ladder can provide stability, a clear career path, and the opportunity to learn from experienced professionals. It offers a regular paycheck, employee benefits, and job security, making it a suitable choice for those valuing stability and teamwork.

I will prefer climbing the corporate ladder, then moving out afterwards to create my own business.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: The Real Mr. Big by Ron Chepesiuk with Jesus Ruiz Henao

Post by Zainab Wasif »

I would definitely opt to own a business as it offers independence and the ability to pursue your passions. However, it also comes with risks and requires dedication and hard work but there is a sense of fulfillment.
Aurora Benjamin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurora-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Tiger's Eye by Scott Delaney

Post by Aurora Benjamin »

Working for an existing company offers the advantage of not having to do all the initial groundwork and having an established clientele or workspace, but the downside includes having to follow orders. Conversely, starting your own business gives you autonomy but also means shouldering all responsibility for mishaps, highlighting the importance of perspective in evaluating these options.
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

I think that personality and character strengths and weaknesses play a key factor in choosing between either. Both have great benefits when they are successful, but when it comes to losses, the entrepreneurial road seems to be more difficult to me. So as much as I hate to admit to myself, I think I'd be more comfortable taking the corporate ladder where I have confidence in an already established system, than having to deal with the uncertainty of being an entrepreneur.
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The Human of All by Ryan Parrett

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I would love and prefer to start a business of my own if I am oppurtuned to. This may involve working to raise funds for a while but I think I would like the happiness of seeing my own idea grow into something big.
Jim Zosson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jim-zosson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Jim Zosson »

It depends. I would rather do the one that pays me more. Working for myself would be nice as I would be in charge of my time.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Ruka N »

Each has its down side. When i was looking for a job the stress and pressure was different to when i was trying to set up my little fish business. But each stress impacts you. Sometimes stress is stress, other times i think one is less stressful. But one thing i am sure is that they both require hard work and dedication and are both time consuming.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Keto kickstart by Wendy Simpson
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 580%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

I enjoy to work on my own business. It gives you the freedom to bring forward your ideas and impact people. I appreciate the tranquillity of enterprises, maybe being intrapreneur.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

Entrepreneurship involves inherent risks, including financial instability, demanding hours, and uncertainties about business success. Given the demanding nature of entrepreneurship, I personally gravitate towards the "corporate ladder" path, despite recognizing its limitations in terms of career advancement and decision-making authority.

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”