Do you prefer working your way up the corporate ladder in an already established company or starting your own business?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Do you prefer working your way up the corporate ladder in an already established company or starting your own business?

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master.

Attachments
MO240128 (15).jpg
MO240128 (15).jpg (7.68 MiB) Viewed 745 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Brief First Encounter by Thomas Miezejeski

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Entrepreneurship involves inherent risks, including financial instability, demanding hours, and uncertainties about business success. Given the demanding nature of entrepreneurship, I personally gravitate towards the "corporate ladder" path, despite recognizing its limitations in terms of career advancement and decision-making authority.
Kaylen Fauz
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylen-fauz.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Kaylen Fauz »

To be honest, I don't mind either. Having a business isn't as rosy as it sounds. It all depends on the individual
Christabel nmeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-nmeso.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christabel nmeso »

I'd definitely lean towards starting my own business. There's something incredibly fulfilling about watching your own venture grow and evolve. It's all about that personal growth for me.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I am open to both options, as both have advantages and disadvantages in my opinion. I guess it depends on the corporate position, its advancing opportunity, and the complications of starting my own business. 
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Joy Stanley
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-stanley.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Joy Stanley »

I really do not mind I would go with anyone life offers me. It is not always easy but with time I believe it will get better
passionatereader2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-passionatereader2.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by passionatereader2 »

I feel like I'm quite disorganised to have my own business. For now I'll prefer working my way up the corporate ladder.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. For instance, working for someone else and having to do as you are told are definite disadvantages of working for an existing company. But not having to do all of the initial work and having an established clientele or workspace are good reasons for it. On the other hand, having to shoulder all responsibility for mishaps is a reason not to start your own business. It all hinges on perspective.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Donna Walker »

Definitely my own business. I've never mentally done well in a corporate environment, despite being very successful. Now that I have my own business and control over my time and energy, I am a completely different person.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: painkiller brainkiller by James m powers II

Post by Seetha E »

There are advantages and disadvantages to both being an employee and being the boss.

As an employee, there may be deadlines to meet and the benefits you receive may be limited, while the boss reaps the maximum benefits. However, your responsibilities may also be limited.

On the other hand, being the boss requires you to take full responsibility. The initial period can be challenging, demanding, and trying. Successes and failures are entirely yours to bear.

Ultimately, you should choose what best suits you and what you can do justice to. Regardless of your choice, make sure to maintain the quality of your work.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

I think they're both very stressful paths to take, but having your business is way riskier and more stressful, so working your way up an already established business is better for more peace of mind. That way, when you finish working, you can close your laptop, go home, and forget about work until the day after. When the business is yours, you can never turn off thinking about it and working for it.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

I think my choice would depend on the situation. On a normal day, I would rather own a business. I would like to own something based on my own idea. However, I do not also mind working my way up the corporate ladder. If possible, I think I could do both.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

Both of the options presented are ones that can be good. When it comes to working up a ladder, I think it is cool to be able to further and add inovative ideas to a place that you have worked on for a long time. However, the idea of starting something completely new sounds more appealing due to the idea of bringing a vision to life
Joy Wendy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-wendy.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Joy Wendy »

As promising as owning a business sounds, I think I will still go with working my way up in an already established company. To start a business is not easy as it requires high capital and work force.
Ije Bons
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ije-bons.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ije Bons »

I prefer starting a business of my own. It would allow me to be more flexible with my time and I would enjoy it.

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”