What is your favorite Urdu word from this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=402948

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2024 Book of the Month, "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master.

Attachments
MO240128 (17).jpg
MO240128 (17).jpg (6.71 MiB) Viewed 631 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Brief First Encounter by Thomas Miezejeski

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

"Isa Masih" which is the Urdu term for Jesus Christ.
"Isa" is the name used for Jesus in Islamic texts, including the Quran, and "Masih" is the Arabic word for "Messiah," a title denoting the anointed one. In the context of Islam, Jesus (Isa Masih) is considered one of the prophets, highly respected and honored for his teachings. The term reflects the reverence for Jesus within the Islamic tradition, while also highlighting the cultural and religious intersections in regions where Urdu is spoken.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

"Na-hi bhai," means "No, brother. " This phrase stands out because it comes from a little story that the author relates about his mother. She would haggle with merchants to get her desired price. In one shop, the owner seems determined not to budge. The mom coolly walks to the door and uttered the deal-breaker.

The shopkeeper ran after her. She won. The child, Ali, was in awe of his mother's resolve, her strength, and her willingness to take a chance. He learned that skill from her and it served him well in America.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green

Post by Ika Apro »

I hadn't remembered any of them, but now that I read the comments, Isa Masih really soothed my heart.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

In the context of Islam, Jesus (Isa Masih) is considered one of the prophets, highly respected and honored for his teachings. The term reflects the reverence for Jesus within the Islamic tradition, while also highlighting the cultural and religious intersections in regions where Urdu is spoken.
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Daberechi Precious »

Isa Masih words really melted my heart.
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: Butterfly Awakens by Meg Nocero

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

While I didn't really pick out any as my favourite before now, I am officially adopting "Isa Masih" . I love the meaning and I love the way it feels on my tongue when I pronounce it.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Carol McCoy Phelps wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 18:15 "Na-hi bhai," means "No, brother. " This phrase stands out because it comes from a little story that the author relates about his mother. She would haggle with merchants to get her desired price. In one shop, the owner seems determined not to budge. The mom coolly walks to the door and uttered the deal-breaker.

The shopkeeper ran after her. She won. The child, Ali, was in awe of his mother's resolve, her strength, and her willingness to take a chance. He learned that skill from her and it served him well in America.
Oh, yes! South Asian women have some mad bargaining skills. I've seen memes where the shopkeeper would probably quote 1500 rupees and women would counter it with "250 rupees or I'm walking away" and they would end up getting some great discounts after negotiating and finding a mid-ground. This is only possible with street vendors, though.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes

Return to “Discuss "Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes" by Ali Master”