How did Lea' parents handled the kids once they announce their separation? What you felt about this situation?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2024 Book of the Month, "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=453972

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

How did Lea' parents handled the kids once they announce their separation? What you felt about this situation?

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Well, personally, I felt her parents could have shown more emotion towards their kids by making them understand what's actually going on rather than just announcing and asking them to move to distinct relatives homes for the summer.
Edah Chemonges
Currently Reading: Sock Lobsters
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edah-chemonges.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by Edah Chemonges »

I think they tried their best. Hiding it wasn't the most prudent option, and when they did reveal it it, they did it in the best way they could. They certainly had their children's best interest at heart.
Eugine Ingalwa
Currently Reading: The Three Card Trick
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eugine-ingalwa.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eugine Ingalwa »

I like the fact that Lea's parents took it upon themselves to break the news to their children. However, they did not take the time to explain in detail what it means to be separated in marriage. Additionally, they decided who was going with who without asking the children for their opinion; a decision that was rather unfair to Lea and T.J. Lastly, I felt Lea's pain when she found out that Laura knew about the separation way before Lea knew. I think even though Lea's parents had their reasons to separate, they did not consider their children that much.
Loretta Morris 1
Currently Reading: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loretta-morris-1.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Loretta Morris 1 »

I believe that Lea's parents should have handled the situation better after announcing their separation. Lea's mother was very vague in explaining the entire situation to Lea. Because of this, Lea was confused, angry and very sad. Lea's mother sent Lea to her Aunt Meg's house for the summer. Lea did not know her Aunt Meg very well. Although Lea's little brother was a pest, deep down it hurt Lea to be separated from her brother. She did not get a chance to say "goodbye" to him for the summer. I felt very sorry for Lea. Everybody was snatched away from her very quickly, and she did not get a chance to process it.
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

My opinion is that Lea's parents should have talked more with their kids about the separation and how they felt. Sending Lea and T.J. to different relatives without explaining well made them feel sad and confused.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Fasting Firepower
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 50%

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

The parents could have been more sensitive to the kid's feelings. There was too much information for the children to process. The parents told them they were getting a divorce, they were both going separate ways for the Summer, both siblings would go different places, and they would leave immediately. The news appears to be too much for these children. They should have told them much earlier so they could understand what was coming.

Return to “Discuss "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr”