Overall rating and opinion of "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr

Use this forum to discuss the March 2024 Book of the Month, "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=453972

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Mari Thompson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Mari Thompson »

Aaron Joseph Maupin wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 12:44 SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery by Cheryl Kerr falls primarily into the genres of mystery and time travel. These genres are woven together throughout the book, creating a unique blend of suspense, historical exploration, and puzzle-solving.
However, it's always good to read reviews, synopses, or sample chapters to determine if a book aligns with one's personal preferences before making a decision to read it. Nonetheless, I'll recommend it.
I like all the aspects of mystery, suspense, historical exploration, and puzzle solving. I’m not a big fan of time travel in my books. I will have to learn more about how much time travel is involved in this story. Thanks for pointing out the time travel aspect. You are so right that it’s always a good idea to read reviews, and synopses to make sure a book aligns with one’s personal preferences.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Boots,Barracks, and Belly Laughs: A Veteran's Amusing Adventures in Uniform by TSgt William (Bill) Gates (USAF RET)

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

The book's approach to addressing serious topics like divorce and self-blame in a manner that is both sensitive and enlightening is commendable. It offers valuable lessons in empathy and self-discovery, making it not only a compelling read but also a tool for learning and growth.
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Silent Voices by Marilyn Thompson

Post by Alissa Nesson »

My overall opinion of this book is that it’s a wonderful read for young people. I think this is a book that anyone can enjoy, but older kids and younger teenagers will probably get the most out of it. It has emotional themes of growing up, dealing with family problems, going somewhere new and scary by yourself, and meeting new people in new places. It also, amongst this very realistic drama, weaves in themes of mystery, investigation, and the supernatural. I found it a heady combination that made for a genuine coming-of-age story, but with a special twist that will keep everyone reading late into the night.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Not Your Exit by Kim Toornburg

Post by Marina Flisvou »

"SandPeople" is a book about adventure and finding out about family history. It mixes stories from the past and now, showing how they connect. It's great for people who like mysteries and stories that go back and forth in time, offering an exciting look at how history affects us.
Marina
Chikamnele Favour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikamnele-favour.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Chikamnele Favour »

When you look at the book at first glance, you will find it boring but a deeper read will show you how interesting this book is. The characters, storyline, self-discovery, and friendship were top-notch in this book. This is the definition of the theme"Don't judge a book by its cover". I will recommend this book to teenagers who need self-discovery tips and parents who are open to learning more parenting tips like effective listening to their kids. Hence I rate this book 4 out of 4. The title and cover were intriguing and drove curiosity. It was worth it.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: Parabolic Magnetic Key by Nicholas Wudtke

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

"SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr is a captivating coming-of-age story with a blend of history, mystery, and ghostly elements, suitable for upper middle-grade readers. The focus on Lea's personal growth over the summer, her relationship with her aunt, and the historical fiction elements are well-executed. Kerr's writing style is engaging, making it easy for readers to connect with Lea's emotions and experiences. The book is well-edited with minor errors and contains no inappropriate content for its target audience. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars for its relatable protagonist, well-developed storyline, and ability to engage young readers in a thrilling summer adventure. Highly recommended for young readers navigating the complexities of growing up.
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

The cover of the book was the first, of course. I loved how inviting it was. But other than that, I foundi it completely compelling and would recommend it to those close to me. A good four out of five stars from me.
Chibuike Okonkwo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibuike-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chibuike Okonkwo »

Ofcourse I'll recommend this book. The book's exploration of a young girl's journey through the challenges of her parents' divorce, her summer adventures, and the friendships she forms along the way may resonate with readers who appreciate character-driven narratives with emotional depth.
Oluwagbenga Akangbe
Favorite Book: Fireproof Happiness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwagbenga-akangbe.html
Latest Review: Pulse: Book One by B.A. Bellec
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 270%

Post by Oluwagbenga Akangbe »

It was a good read. Quite nice and exploratory for teens and young kids. It didn't do much for me though so I'd rate it a 3 out of 5. It was average at best to someone like me who's used to and loves sci-fi, originality, historical, fiction, fantasy, and romance writings
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Papi, Por Favor! by Rossana Snee

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

I’m yet to read the book so I would not rate it till I do. However I think is a great read for children between 8-12
Ram Sahni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-sahni.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Ram Sahni »

“SandPeople” surprised me with its grace and charm, despite being a mystery book suitable for middle schoolers. The book is pleasurable, and it has characters you can relate to and stories about friendship and self-discovery.
Kaitlin Bryant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-bryant.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Kaitlin Bryant »

Unknown Spy wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 10:07 Can someone please suggest more books like this one?
If you are looking for like YA mystery Nancy Drew is always a solid pick! The Hardy Boys is also a good pick!
Kaitlin Bryant
Currently Reading:

Post by Kaitlin Bryant »

Ram Sahni wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 08:55 “SandPeople” surprised me with its grace and charm, despite being a mystery book suitable for middle schoolers. The book is pleasurable, and it has characters you can relate to and stories about friendship and self-discovery.
I agree, I was pleasantly surprised by this book!
Kaitlin Bryant
Currently Reading:

Post by Kaitlin Bryant »

Kutloano Makhuvhela wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 11:39 The cover of the book was the first, of course. I loved how inviting it was. But other than that, I foundi it completely compelling and would recommend it to those close to me. A good four out of five stars from me.
I also gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Why did you?
I gave it 4 out of 5 simply because I wanted MORE to the mystery. I felt like the ending was so fast and I really wanted to see more about Greta!
Joy Wendy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-wendy.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Joy Wendy »

Overall, the book was a good read. It covered topics about family disputes and it portrayed consequences faced during this disputes. The book was exceptional.

Return to “Discuss "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr”