What lessons did you learn from the book?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2024 Book of the Month, "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=453972

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the March 2024 Book of the Month, "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr

Attachments
MO240226 (7).jpg
MO240226 (7).jpg (6.7 MiB) Viewed 646 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Sarvesh J Yadav
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarvesh-j-yadav.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Sarvesh J Yadav »

The book shows how history and the past influence the present. It inspired me to look deeper into the history of my own communities.
Sarvesh J Yadav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarvesh-j-yadav.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Sarvesh J Yadav »

Lea navigates complicated emotions about family and learns to forgive. Lea's curiosity drives the mystery forward and encourages me to ask questions about the world around them.
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: When Business Is Love by Jan Ryde

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

I learnt about how to preserve an archaeological dig site, where to look for old records, don’t dismiss paranormal claims, and just respect others. It’s a good book for young teenagers.
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

Rebecca De Figueiredo wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 12:12 I learnt about how to preserve an archaeological dig site, where to look for old records, don’t dismiss paranormal claims, and just respect others. It’s a good book for young teenagers.
All of the things you mention: learning how to preserve an archeological dig site, where to look for old records, and paranormal claims sound very interesting. I’m going to find out more about this book.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Obsidian Tomorrow by Chad Wannamaker
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

Lea’s aunt doesn’t believe the ghost story, and she doesn’t take time to listen to her. I’m afraid that sounds a lot like my personality, especially when I am busy. I suppose, if anything, there is a lesson here about taking time to let kids talk about whatever is bothering them. Otherwise, they will take it to someone else.

That didn’t really dawn on me until her aunt recognized it in herself. She drove Lea away, and Lea told her story to Mrs. Simon and to anyone else who would listen. Yes, that is a lesson I learned in this simple little story.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: When Business Is Love by Jan Ryde

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

I’d just like to add something else about what this book taught me: children and young teens need to be listened to, it’s always a mistake to dismiss their claims without listening to them properly.
Harshita Goyal _
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshita-goyal.html
Latest Review: God's Gift (Woman) by Freddie Floyd Jr
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 29%

Post by Harshita Goyal _ »

"SandPeople" by Cheryl Kerr promises an intriguing tale where Lea's entanglement in the enigmatic legend of the sand people unveils a captivating mystery blending reality and folklore, ensuring a thrilling and immersive reading experience.
Harshita
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Silent Voices by Marilyn Thompson

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Both Lea and Aunt Meg learn things and grow from getting to know each other better. I especially liked how Aunt Meg learned how to listen and encourage Lea even though she thought what she was telling her was ridiculous. Meg was also reminded how nice it can be to have someone else around and how she can use that in her work. Lea learned that her parents are human beings in their own right and not just parents, and she learned that the unknown isn’t always a bad thing. Personally, I found the information about archeological digs and how to find old records very interesting. Those were things I didn’t know about before.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Chikamnele Favour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikamnele-favour.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Chikamnele Favour »

One important thing I learned in this book is giving listening ears to children and teens. Grown-ups might feel there is no need to give a listening ear but in the long, you will realize that you save yourself from certain things when you listen and pay attention to children.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Marina Flisvou »

"Sand People" taught me about how tough and flexible people can be when life gets really hard. It shows that no matter how tough things are, people can make it through if they stick together and help each other out. The book talks a lot about how important friends and family are when facing big problems, and how working as a team can help everyone get through tough times. It also makes you think about how important nature is and how we need to live in harmony with it, because it affects everything we do.
Marina
Chibuike Okonkwo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibuike-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chibuike Okonkwo »

The Power of Friendship and Support
The friendships Lea forms and the support she receives from her aunt and new acquaintances highlight the significance of relationships in overcoming obstacles and fostering personal development
Joy Wendy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-wendy.html
Latest Review: From Brokenness to Atonement, Faith, Hope, and Love: A Vietnam War Sniper’s Journey and a Psychiatrist’s Biblioth by Hani Raoul Khouzam MD;MPH;FAPA.

Post by Joy Wendy »

From reading the book, I learnt that it is good to pay attention to teenagers. Sometimes, they have good advice for adults. Also, it is also significant for family members to support each other during the time of need.
Sylveria Savage
Favorite Book: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sylveria-savage.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance

Post by Sylveria Savage »

A cogent lesson from this book is the importance of active listening and validating others' experiences, even if they seem implausible or inconsequential. By dismissing someone's story or feelings, we risk driving them away and pushing them to seek understanding and validation elsewhere. Taking the time to listen attentively can foster trust and strengthen relationships, ultimately creating a more supportive and understanding community.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1920
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

The book provided me with a thorough and complete idea of the unpredictability of life circumstances for a youngster. I learned to live the beautiful mystery of my life by reading about Lea's growth and transition. The elements of history and the past interwoven in the story of Lea's transformation journey were inspiring. Learning about Lea's character development from childhood to adulthood was enjoyable as well as educational.

Return to “Discuss "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr”