What do you think of Lea McKinney's reaction to her parents' divorce?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2024 Book of the Month, "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=453972

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Re: What do you think of Lea McKinney's reaction to her parents' divorce?

Post by Zainab Wasif »

Lea’s reaction of getting a drastic haircut as a form of rebellion, was relatable and reflective of the confusion and complex emotions children often experience in such situations.
Goodness Kene
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-kene.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Goodness Kene »

Lea reacted as expected. The 12-year-old was forlorn and scared about the change. The new situation was heavy on her, and I didn't expect anything less.
Sky Revews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sky-revews.html
Latest Review: The Divinely Sinful Saints by Itotko

Post by Sky Revews »

Her reaction isn't one-dimensional. She sometimes vents her anger or jealousy, but at the same time, she shows sympathy for understanding an adult situation that is full of pressure. This portrays being grown up, thus acknowledging that feelings aren't the only source of emotion.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasir-shaikh.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

Lea was expecting worse conditions and was expecting to hear something like things were not good from the last few days. She was not able to accept this and also felt terrible when she got to know that even her friend had this news before herself.
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Miracle Kingss
Currently Reading: EMA
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-kingss.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Miracle Kingss »

Divorce no matter how amicable it goes, is never a pleasant experience for children. Lea reacted like any normal child would, in my own opinion.
Kala Krishnakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kala-krishnakumar.html
Latest Review: Magi Apprentice by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Kala Krishnakumar »

I think she had a very typical reaction. Doubt, blame, self hatred, and all negative emotions displayed by her are pretty normal and similar to example I've seen in real life.
Victor Obonyo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Victor Obonyo »

think Lea’s reaction was pretty typical. She was sad and she was scared that everything in her life would change. She wondered if it was her fault. I think those are all normal reactions and concerns that most kids have when learning that their parents are getting divorced.

Return to “Discuss "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr”