Did you find the characters in this book relatable?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2024 Book of the Month, "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=453972

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the March 2024 Book of the Month, "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr

Attachments
MO240226 (3).jpg
MO240226 (3).jpg (4.67 MiB) Viewed 669 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

The characters are totally relatable, across the board. I only wish that T.J. had been given a bigger part in the book. He has the personality of a brother, if ever I saw one—and I have seven brothers. I also appreciate Aunt Meg, the childless aunt who likes the kids but didn’t ask for this intrusion on her solitude.

The stretch for me comes when the archaeology dig brings in the kids. That isn’t as likely to happen, so those characters are less relatable. Archaeologists and university administrators will rope off a dig and keep the kids out. They aren’t going to let them set up camp.

Overall, I loved this book. It’s the kind of thing I read as a kid and still love as a grandmother of adventurous kids. This writer kept it mostly real in her character developments.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

Yes, I do. She reminds me of me as a child, around her age, rooting around in my grandmother's garden, trying to find evidence of the past. I also feel her frustration at not being believed as I was promptly told not to do it as I was bringing mud into the house!
Annabell Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Intermittent Fasting for Women in Menopause by Woods Publishing

Post by Annabell Samuel »

Aunt Meg reminds me of one of my mum's sisters who helped raise us. She loved kids so much that we even feared she will have so much of them when she got married. Unfortunately, she didn't have one before she passed. So, in the aspect of being childless and loving kids, I could relate to Aunt Meg.
Ankitg Yadav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankitg-yadav.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Ankitg Yadav »

Lea's feelings of confusion, loneliness, and longing for connection are emotions that young readers can likely understand.Cheryl Kerr seems to have created characters with emotions and experiences that would be relatable to the target audience of middle-grade readers.
Kala Krishnakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kala-krishnakumar.html
Latest Review: Magi Apprentice by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Kala Krishnakumar »

The feelings of hatred, confusion, and doubt were very relatable in this book and spoke to me on multiple levels
Jaadugar Yadu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaadugar-yadu.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Jaadugar Yadu »

"Sandpeople," the story is told from the perspective of a 12-year-old girl dealing with her parents' separation. This is a situation that many middle-grade readers might be able to relate to, even if their own experiences are different.
Elijah Reuben
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah-reuben.html
Latest Review: Love All the Way by Aurora Carafa

Post by Elijah Reuben »

Yes, the characters are very much relatable. My favorite character is T.J; he's so compassionate and has a brotherly affection. The character of Aunt Meg is worthy of admiration despite her childless state.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Donna Walker »

I found most of the characters to be very relatable. It's a very well-written book. Aunt Meg reminds me of my own aunt in many ways. I only wish I'd had the brotherly affection that comes from T.J. Lea's confusion as she navigates through tough emotions at 12 years of age, is also very relatable.
Onyango ochieng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Onyango ochieng »

The stretch for me comes when the archaeology dig brings in the kids. That isn’t as likely to happen, so those characters are less relatable. Archaeologists and university administrators will rope off a dig and keep the kids out. They aren’t going to let them set up camp.

Return to “Discuss "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr”