To what extent do you think divorce affects the children?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2024 Book of the Month, "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=453972

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Re: To what extent do you think divorce affects the children?

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Divorce is a tricky topic. The level of impact depends on the child's emotional capacity, but again, even a child with a very strong hold of their emotions gets deeply affected by it. It is even more hurtful when the parents forget to tend to the child amidst their own chaos, forcing the child to grow up sooner.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 76%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I think divorce greatly affects the children. I know from experience, being divorced with two small children, at the time. My children are in their 50s now, and I still see the effects of the divorce, even now.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I think divorce affects children to a large extent especially when the partners openly make their issues obvious to the children. The children may suffer from the lack of a parent in their life.
Samina Moiyadi
Favorite Book: Unlight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samina-moiyadi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Samina Moiyadi »

Divorce completely changes the personality of the children. Parents who love each other give a sense of security to children. The lack of love often leads to trust issues in children.
But divorce is the last step of a failing marriage. It is better to get separated than to live in an unhappy marriage for the sake of children. It can be much more harmful to their mental health.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It really affects children. I was 45 years old when my parents divorced. I was grown, married, and had a grown son of my own and I was hurt badly so I can only imagine how it would affect those kids who are still under the influence of their parents
Muhammad Haikal Birton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-haikal-birton.html
Latest Review: Anti-Black Prejudice In America by Anders Eklof

Post by Muhammad Haikal Birton »

Divorce can have significant effects on children, both in the short and long term. The psychological effects can include increased stress, anxiety, depression, and behavioral problems.
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Risky Business In Rising China by Mark Atkeson

Post by Esther Deekor »

As much as divorce affects children, I believe when both parents stay together in an unhealthy relationship just to keep their children happy, it affects the children more than actually getting a divorce. So yeah, divorce affects children to a large extent but two unhappy parents constantly fighting doesn't help too.
Ashwini Tawade
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: All For The Love of Dog
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashwini-tawade.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Ashwini Tawade »

Divorce is a drastic, life-changing event, and it definitely affects children. The effect is somewhat negative. Children get deprived of a secure feeling and may also feel confused. Separated parents do not seem to be in an ideal household. It's just a preferred option for the separated individuals, but for their children, having a family with both parents together looks better. Some children may show they are unaffected, some may show acceptance or even indifference, but deep down, it creates some negative repercussions, as I see it.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasir-shaikh.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

Children learn from their parents. Split parents do affect massively a person's attitude regarding romantic relationships. Other than this there are different aspects like confidence, mental health, growth, and the mentality of general life.
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Homo Fix or Nix
Bookshelf Size: 411
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Divorce can significantly impact children, affecting their emotional well-being, academic performance, and social relationships. The extent of the impact often depends on factors like the level of conflict between parents, the quality of parental involvement post-divorce, and the child's own resilience and support systems.
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Bron Bakers
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bron-bakers.html
Latest Review: Six Ways From Sunday, The Watergate Coup by Irvin Randall

Post by Bron Bakers »

Divorce affects children greatly. They are deprived of an environment to grow in and make the most of their lives.
Rashad Deniro Price
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: David's space flight by Sharron Hillman-Dwyer

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

Divorce is a complicated situation that one can't just sit down and begin to propound about. It's not even easy for the couples let alone the fragile children. So the extent divorce affects children, to me, is undescribable and immeasurable. Children react to this in several ways and the trauma could come in various depths.
Kala Krishnakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kala-krishnakumar.html
Latest Review: Magi Apprentice by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Kala Krishnakumar »

I've seen multiple cases where children wish their parents would rather divorce than stay together, calling themselves a family when it is blatantly clear that things are not working out. I've also seen children wish their parents would stay together. I believe that suffering is very subjective.
Ouko Okach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Ouko Okach »

They wonder whether they are doing something bad or think about the difficult times they will face in the future. Children that are wrapped around by an adult network, whether it is family and friends or teachers and therapists, experience easy coping with the changes and the emotional stress post-divorce.
Latest Review:
Slayton Natasha Tillett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slayton-natasha-tillett.html
Latest Review: When Your Partner Dies by Millard Hiner

Post by Slayton Natasha Tillett »

It's really affects children greatly. And in most cases you see them withdrawal from socialization at school, church and playgrounds. It's important parents think twice before divorcing as it could change the life of a child greatly.

Return to “Discuss "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr”