What is your favorite example of a successful start-up discussed in this book and why?

This is a discussion forum for the April 2024 Book of the Month, "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=573230

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

What is your favorite example of a successful start-up discussed in this book and why?

Post by Olga Markova »

I particularly liked the example of Uber as a start-up that disrupted incumbent taxi companies, because of its tremendous success, and especially because it did not give up when renewal of its licence was refused, and came back to the UK market after winning a dispute with Transport for London to operate as a ride-hailing company.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Sheen Jenny »

Travis Kalanick and Andrew Carnegie are my favourite examples. They are entrepreneurs who didn't let obstacles stand in their way. In 2010, even though taxi drivers and regulations stood in Uber's way, Kalanick pushed ahead and built a great company. On the other hand, Carnegie grew up in poverty; he had a vision for the steel industry and made it happen. Both of these men showed that grit and determination can pay off.
Christine Catarino
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: House of Spies
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-catarino.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Christine Catarino »

I was fascinated by how Landry and Wolk used Hamilton and Jefferson as examples of how long the U.S. has been paving the way for entrepreneurs. The way they showcased Hamilton's initial failures, yet he never gave up and eventually was successful.
Jones Mwaniki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jones-mwaniki.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 260%

Post by Jones Mwaniki »

Though it was brief, I liked when the authors mentioned Facebook to explain how a startup that becomes like an incumbent can maintain its power by taking control over other startups that threaten its consumer hold. It was a most recent example that was eye-opening.
Savina Visintin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Savina Visintin »

I have always been interested in Andrew Carnegie because, despite being born into a poor family, he became one of the richest men in the world; It is his story that particularly inspired me in this book.
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Chinenye Sus »

Christine Catarino wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 13:57 I was fascinated by how Landry and Wolk used Hamilton and Jefferson as examples of how long the U.S. has been paving the way for entrepreneurs. The way they showcased Hamilton's initial failures, yet he never gave up and eventually was successful.
I agree. Landry and Wolk's use of Hamilton and Jefferson is a great illustration of the long-standing American spirit of entrepreneurship. Hamilton's perseverance through initial failures is a powerful message, which is the ability to bounce back is a key trait for any entrepreneur.
Ray Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ray-thompson.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Ray Thompson »

Olga Markova wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 14:15 I particularly liked the example of Uber as a start-up that disrupted incumbent taxi companies, because of its tremendous success, and especially because it did not give up when renewal of its licence was refused, and came back to the UK market after winning a dispute with Transport for London to operate as a ride-hailing company.
I also loved this example, but I loved it because this start-up was something very simple. It was not complex at all, and taught me a lot. This start-up actually opened my eyes and broadened my horizon.

Return to “Discuss "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry”