Is it good that America allows large and successful firms to fail?

This is a discussion forum for the April 2024 Book of the Month, "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=573230

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Is it good that America allows large and successful firms to fail?

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I agree that it’s not good when these big businesses fail, but like you said, to avoid stagnation and maintain progress or hold them to account competition needs to be allowed which can have dramatic results.
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: Everything We Had by Tom Burkhalter

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

In American capitalism, competition and innovation are highly valued, even if it means that established firms may fail. While this approach may have its drawbacks, it creates a culture of continuous improvement and adaptability.
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Chinenye Sus »

Cristina-Ioana Toader wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 01:38 The idea that the U.S. fosters an environment where even large, successful firms can fail reflects the commitment to competition and innovation that is often cited as a hallmark of American capitalism.

The downside, as mentioned, includes the potential for job loss and the subsequent strain on the social safety net and individuals' livelihoods. This aspect raises important questions about economic stability and the social impact of business failures.

Conversely, the possibility of failure, even for established firms, serves as a catalyst for continuous improvement, adaptability, and vigilance against complacency. It suggests that businesses must consistently deliver value to their customers and stay ahead of innovation to survive. This competitive pressure can drive economic progress by encouraging the development of new technologies, services, and business models.
I completely agree with you on this. Thanks for your opinion. I understand what you said about it showing the commitment to competition and innovation. For me, I believe that is the most important thing about this. Competition leads to innovation which leads to a thriving capitalist nation.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: I Chose Me by John Marcus Brown

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Chinenye Sus wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 20:29
Cristina-Ioana Toader wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 01:38 The idea that the U.S. fosters an environment where even large, successful firms can fail reflects the commitment to competition and innovation that is often cited as a hallmark of American capitalism.

The downside, as mentioned, includes the potential for job loss and the subsequent strain on the social safety net and individuals' livelihoods. This aspect raises important questions about economic stability and the social impact of business failures.

Conversely, the possibility of failure, even for established firms, serves as a catalyst for continuous improvement, adaptability, and vigilance against complacency. It suggests that businesses must consistently deliver value to their customers and stay ahead of innovation to survive. This competitive pressure can drive economic progress by encouraging the development of new technologies, services, and business models.
I completely agree with you on this. Thanks for your opinion. I understand what you said about it showing the commitment to competition and innovation. For me, I believe that is the most important thing about this. Competition leads to innovation which leads to a thriving capitalist nation.
Thank you for your agreement! I'm glad you also see the importance of competition and innovation in fostering a thriving capitalist society. It's encouraging to know that others share this perspective on the role of competition in driving innovation and economic progress.
Rashad Deniro Price
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: Deceit by Vernon Baumrind

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

I think that statement is somehow controversial; it's a bit conclusive and directional. When it comes to the situation of things in certain sectors, we have to consider so many factors, including the impacts of politicians, labor unions, and governmental interests. I don't think America is deliberately, conclusively against large firms.
Stephen Somto E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-somto-e.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Stephen Somto E »

It depends. if you are talking from the perspective of allowing the death of one large firm in other to save millions of relatively small firms, it will be difficult for me to decide. But laws are laws. Legislations are used to maintain the sanity in the society. Its still depends. No definite answer.
Emeka JohnObi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-johnobi.html
Latest Review: The Smartest Person in the Room by Christian Espinosa
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Emeka JohnObi »

I'm not sure America is the problem. Big firms fail because of poor management and poor strategies. This just my opinion.
rudi dani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rudi-dani.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by rudi dani »

You see business failure as a double-edged sword, with job losses and disruption on one hand, and increased innovation and opportunity on the other. The ideal situation is to find a balance where businesses can fail without causing social and economic chaos, perhaps through stronger safety nets and retraining programs. This allows the economy to adapt and grow while minimizing the downsides of failure.
Brigid Wandera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brigid-wandera.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Brigid Wandera »

In American capitalism, competition and innovation are highly valued, even if it means that established firms may fail. While this approach may have its drawbacks, it creates a culture of continuous improvement and adaptability. The pressure to constantly deliver value and stay ahead of innovation drives economic progress and encourages the development of new technologies, services, and business models. It reminds us that being the best at what we do is more important than the size of our business, and rewards those who strive for excellence.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

In the past, bail-outs of big corporations were common. Why should they be treated any differently than smaller companies? If they fail, it's often due to poor leadership, and those are the ones who should be held responsible. Of course, I feel for the employees who rely on these companies for their livelihood. More should be done to protect the workers from bad leaders not rescue the poor leaders.
Gerrard Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerrard-mark.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Gerrard Mark »

Not at all. It's not good because at the end of the day. Some of these companies employ about 5 thousand people directly and more indirectly.
Dickson Bricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickson-bricks.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Dickson Bricks »

I believe big first to an extent is a problem. Because some of the firms tend to suppress the little ones and buy them out thereby becoming the only real choice we will have. And monopoly kills the quality of products.
Kelvin Suraj
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-suraj.html

Post by Kelvin Suraj »

I think it's best and this is what other nations needs to adopt because these obstacles strengthens the business making them more worthy to be trusted by the nation and citizens. Therefore the owners needs to stand strong to pass that stage.
Ashleigh Henderson 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleigh-henderson-1.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Ashleigh Henderson 1 »

Launchpad Republic highlights the importance of America's unique culture in fostering entrepreneurship. It emphasizes competition, risk-taking, and adaptation for success.
Ashleigh Henderson 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleigh-henderson-1.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Ashleigh Henderson 1 »

The book argues that allowing failure allows for innovation and the rise of new players, ultimately benefiting the economy.

Return to “Discuss "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry”