Did this book change your view on entrepreneurship?

This is a discussion forum for the April 2024 Book of the Month, "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=573230

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the April 2024 Book of the Month, "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Attachments
MO240324 (5).jpg
MO240324 (5).jpg (4.95 MiB) Viewed 789 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Bradley Twesten
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Bradley Twesten »

I've got about 20 more pages to go. This has been the best book I have read for onlinebookclub.org so far. I love history and I enjoy business, so having the two put together has been great. I think in previously studying history, I was learning the Who, Where, and When, not so much the WHY. Seeing American history unfold through a business lens is sure an eye opener.
Gemma McMahon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-mcmahon.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Gemma McMahon »

Yes, this book did change my view on entrepreneurship. Growing up in a capitalist society, I had never truely appreciated the advantages and privileges awarded to us. In fact it was never something I had ever really thought about. I found the historical information regarding how our English ancestors were limited in trading and ownership based on the social class they were born into. This book has given me a better appreciation of capitalism and entrepreneurship.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Jones Mwaniki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jones-mwaniki.html
Latest Review: Where Is Your Eternal Destiny? Heaven or Hell by Vi Lindemuth
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 140%

Post by Jones Mwaniki »

Not only did it change it, but it also broadened it. I did Business Studies when I was in high school, but there wasn't much that was taught about entrepreneurship. It was mostly a brief thing. This book delved further and changed my perception about entrepreneurship and startups, and it kind of opened my mind to regard factors that could affect a startup in a country that I wasn't aware of in the first place.
Savina Visintin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse III by David Edmond

Post by Savina Visintin »

It hasn't changed my view, but I must say it has broadened it. It helped me clarify some concepts and allowed me to understand what it takes for entrepreneurship to thrive in a country.
Muhammad Haikal Birton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-haikal-birton.html
Latest Review: Anti-Black Prejudice In America by Anders Eklof

Post by Muhammad Haikal Birton »

I've always been a big fan of entrepreneurship and the way it drives innovation and economic growth, and this book just reinforced my love for it! I really enjoyed reading about the entrepreneurial landscape in the United States compared to other countries, as well as the stories of startup companies like Uber. The book shed light on the impact of various factors on both upstart and incumbent entrepreneurs, which was insightful. However, I was hoping to come across some new perspectives or arguments that would significantly impact my understanding of entrepreneurship, but it was still a great read!
Wemby Jordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wemby-jordan.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Wemby Jordan »

Yes, this book changed my view on entrepreneurship and the huge benefits it comes with. I'm so happy that I read it.
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

Having visited a third-world country at the some point in my life, I can attest to the impact of entrepreneurship to the growth of an economy. This book opened my eyes to even more effects of entrepreneurship in a country and I truly loved the way the author portrayed this.
mark liu
Currently Reading: If Time Stood Still
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-liu.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by mark liu »

I can’t say it has changed my view per se. That being said it has broadened and introduced me to entrepreneurship in America and to say the least so far I have been intrigued and enjoyed the book.
Amos Osinya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amos-osinya.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Amos Osinya »

Yes indeed. This book outlines key factors affecting entrepreneurship. Large and Small incumbents, Startups and the role of public policy in entrepreneurship. This book indeed changed my view of entrepreneurship. It illustrated to me broadly and comprehensively what entrepreneurs and Companies do to remain competitively in the market or enter the market as startups and gradually displace established incumbents.
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajain12 »

This book has completely shifted my perspective on entrepreneurship, revealing its immense rewards and advantages. I'm genuinely thrilled that I took the time to read it. It's transformed my understanding of what it means to be an entrepreneur and the potential opportunities it offers. I'm filled with happiness and gratitude for the insights gained from delving into its pages.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

I never knew too much about entrepreneurship, especially involving it's history. And I believe that learning about how past businesses used different tactics and their rise in profits as well as their failures are important in building successful businesses in the future.
Victory Stone
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-stone.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Victory Stone »

Although I have not finished the book, the least that I have read has changed my concept of entrepreneurship. I am a science student and I don't normally come across books like this. I hope to learn more.
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Brian, Created Intelligence by AJ Pagan IV

Post by Chinenye Sus »

The book certainly changed my view on entrepreneurship. There are a lot of things I did not know and a lot of things that I had wrong before reading this book, but now that I have read it, my view has significantly evolved. This book was eye-opening.
Jnapika D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jnapika D »

Yes, it did, and it also helped me understand all the different aspects of entrepreneurship that I didn't know before. 

Return to “Discuss "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry”