Did you find the language used in this book easy to understand?

This is a discussion forum for the April 2024 Book of the Month, "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=573230

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the April 2024 Book of the Month, "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Attachments
MO240324 (17).jpg
MO240324 (17).jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 573 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

First, here is a confession: I almost failed Economics 101 in college back in the day. Since that time, it has been difficult for me to maintain interest in any book that deals with business. When the author uses terms such as the following:
Egalitarianism
Entrepreneur (and all of it’s forms)
ECONOMY (see what I did there?)
Substantive Due Process

Oh, forget it. No, I did not find the overall topic easy to like, much less understand. However, let me say that it is well-written. The authors apparently know how to write for the average person, and I get it that the “BIG WORDS” are necessary to make their points. I like the part about the Civil War and the Great Depression. History is one of my favorite subjects, so there’s that.

The book is rather a mixed bag for me. I am enjoying parts of it and bogging down when the language leans toward growth, percentages, and how many whatever’s is about to happen.

For real, when they mentioned stagnant oligopolies, I did have to stop and think about that. By the time I had looked up the definition, I was giggling about pollywogs.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Miriam Ratemo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

The language in "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry is described as insightful and thought-provoking, offering a history of entrepreneurship in the United States. It focuses on the political, legal, and cultural forces that have propelled the country forward¹[1]. The book is academic in nature but also filled with relatable stories, effectively illustrating thematic points with data and business stories from recognizable names²[4]. This suggests that while the book may be detailed and informative, it also strives to be accessible to a broad audience.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

It's not too complex but it's a topic I am not too proficient in. I had to give up on the audiobook and will pick up and an ebook at some point. That way I can search up any word or concept I don't understand.
Amos Osinya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amos-osinya.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Amos Osinya »

Yes. The language used is straightforward. Although the concepts are written more from an academic and historical angle, the author did not use ambiguous language. Everyone else can understand every concept being discussed in the book.
N parvin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-parvin.html
Latest Review: The Caribbean Sedition by Oscar Ortiz

Post by N parvin »

In my opinion, the language in this book falls somewhere between easy and difficult to comprehend. While some words may be unfamiliar to those with limited knowledge of business and economics, requiring them to look up definitions, the overall text isn't overly complex. Therefore, I consider it a classic book with its own standard, particularly given its focus on business-related topics.
Jnapika D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jnapika D »

Although the English itself was easy to understand, I had trouble understanding the issues discussed because they were not something I had come across before.
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Brian, Created Intelligence by AJ Pagan IV

Post by Chinenye Sus »

The language in the book was very easy to understand. It was not complex at all, so reading the book becamde a thing of joy as I could understand everything very easily without the barrier of having a complex language.
Rashad Deniro Price
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: David's space flight by Sharron Hillman-Dwyer

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

The language was relatively easy for me, with some technical terms here and there, which I had to look up their meanings. But even at that, it was still at great learning opportunity for me. So, overall, the book is accessible and really helpful.
Chikamnele Favour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikamnele-favour.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Chikamnele Favour »

Yes, it was easy to understand although there are few words that were new to me. At least it helped broaden my knowledge.
Isaac Oh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: Odyssey Inside Out by K G Golden

Post by Isaac Oh »

I am not someone who takes an interest in business and economics, so it was difficult for me to even enjoy this book. The terms demanded explanations and I believe that the author helped with this through the glossary.
Tom Gada
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tom-gada.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Tom Gada »

In my opinion, I would describe the language used in Launchpad Republic as quite accessible and engaging. The authors have taken great care to ensure that their writing style is both informative and easy to understand, even for those who may not be well-versed in economic or historical terminology.
rudi dani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rudi-dani.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by rudi dani »

"Launchpad Republic" by Wolk and Landry isn't your typical history book. Sure, it dives deep into the rise of American entrepreneurship, analyzing the political, legal, and cultural forces that greased the wheels of economic progress. But this academic journey isn't just about dusty theories. The authors bring it to life with relatable stories and real-world business examples, making the book both insightful and engaging for a wide range of readers. It's a thought-provoking exploration of American entrepreneurship that's as informative as it is captivating.
BRIGID Wandera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by BRIGID Wandera »

The language in "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry is described as insightful and thought-provoking, offering a history of entrepreneurship in the United States. It focuses on the political, legal, and cultural forces that have propelled the country forward¹[1]. The book is academic in nature but also filled with relatable stories, effectively illustrating thematic points with data and business stories from recognizable names²[4]. This suggests that while the book may be detailed and informative, it also strives to be accessible to a broad
Gerrard Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerrard-mark.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Gerrard Mark »

The language used in this book is really easy to understand. The editing was great and flawless. There were no errors in the book.

Return to “Discuss "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry”