Do you think there was really a pandemic?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2024 Book of the Month, "Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition): The Evidence Against the COVID Vaccines" by Dr. Colleen Huber
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=600637

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the May 2024 Book of the Month, "Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition): The Evidence Against the COVID Vaccines" by Dr. Colleen Huber.

The author wrote, "US mortality data at the end of 2020 did not support the allegation of a pandemic, because there was no more of an outlying peak in excess deaths in 2020 than other peaks throughout the past two decades."

Attachments
MO240503 (13).jpg
MO240503 (13).jpg (6.66 MiB) Viewed 164 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Story Of... by Shirley B Novack
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 103%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Yes, I do. A pandemic is defined as "an epidemic occurring worldwide or over a very wide area, crossing international boundaries and usually affecting a large number of people."
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Paul Great Grace
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-great-grace.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg
2024 Reading Goal: 70
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by Paul Great Grace »

Ah! There was not just a pandemic but a frustrating pandemic, it was obvious, that no one could do as usual. It was then I realized that something can take away one's freedom apart from prison.
Jessica Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-azuka.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman

Post by Jessica Azuka »

I feel like this question has a more deeper meaning that is plainly put out here. However, whether by accident or orchestration, I believe that there was a pandemic.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I disagree with the author's statement. Multiple sources and studies provide evidence that the COVID-19 pandemic significantly impacted mortality rates in 2020.

1. Excess Deaths in 2020: According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the United States experienced a significant increase in excess deaths in 2020. The CDC reported that there were approximately 375,000 excess deaths attributable to COVID-19 in 2020 alone. This spike in excess deaths is far above the typical fluctuations observed in previous years and is a clear indicator of the pandemic's impact on mortality.

2. Comparison to Previous Years: Research published in reputable journals, such as the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), showed that the number of excess deaths in 2020 was significantly higher than in any recent years. For instance, an article in JAMA indicated that the excess mortality in 2020 was the highest observed in the U.S. since the 1918 influenza pandemic.

3. Global Context: The World Health Organization (WHO) declared COVID-19 a pandemic in March 2020 due to the rapid spread and high mortality rate associated with the virus. The global impact of COVID-19 was evident, with countries worldwide experiencing substantial increases in mortality, overwhelming healthcare systems, and implementing widespread public health measures to curb the virus's spread.

4. COVID-19 as a Leading Cause of Death: By the end of 2020, COVID-19 became one of the leading causes of death in the United States, surpassing many other common causes of death such as heart disease and cancer during specific periods of the year. This shift underscores the severity and widespread impact of the pandemic.

These points collectively refute the assertion that there was no significant peak in excess deaths in 2020. The data clearly indicate that the COVID-19 pandemic had a profound and unprecedented effect on mortality rates in the United States, aligning with the criteria of a pandemic.

So, yes, there was a Pandemic.

---------
Sources:

1. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... deaths.htm
2. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2778361
3. https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/29 ... idtimeline
4. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7014e1.htm
5. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... -data.html
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Mojisola Omowunmi Omotosho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mojisola-omowunmi-omotosho.html
Latest Review: Heat in the Vegas Night by Jerry Reedy

Post by Mojisola Omowunmi Omotosho »

Yes, I believe there really was a pandemic. I saw firsthand how COVID-19 affected my community, with many people getting sick and hospitals being overwhelmed. The changes to daily life, like lockdowns, mask-wearing, and social distancing, were significant and unprecedented. Additionally, the efforts to develop and distribute vaccines on such a large scale highlight the seriousness of the situation. The pandemic's impact on my life and the lives of those around me made it clear that this was a real and global crisis.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

Of course there was a pandemic according to the dictionary definition:
a widespread occurrence of an infectious disease over a whole country or the world at a particular time

It wasn't just the US that experienced COVID19. One government might perpetrate a hoax, but the whole world (mostly) would not buy in.

My husband and I had COVID19. Our two next door neighbors died of it on the same day within one hour of each other. It was very, very real.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by williams Emerald »

The claim that there was no significant peak in excess deaths in 2020, and therefore no pandemic, is not supported by the data available from multiple sources hence I disagree with the authors statement. The substantial and well-documented increase in excess deaths in 2020, the strain on global healthcare systems, and the confirmed COVID-19 death toll provide strong evidence that there was indeed a pandemic. The assertion that US mortality data at the end of 2020 did not support the existence of a pandemic does not align with the overwhelming body of evidence from multiple reliable sources.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

This question is quite amusing. There was a pandemic. A lockdown pandemic that took lives in a scary way. Everyone around the world experienced the effect of the lockdown the pandemic caused.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Work of My Mother's Hands: A Caregiver's Journey by Dr. Kiplee Bell

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

This is the question I have asked myself multiple times. Although I also know the impact COVID has had what if we would have gained immunity anyway without the use of the vaccine and its long-term side effects? Sometimes I start believing the conspiracy theories too. What if labeling it as a pandemic was required to fast-track the development of vaccines?
Adam Bryce Stern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adam-bryce-stern.html
Latest Review: Dudesow by Christian R. Scrolls

Post by Adam Bryce Stern »

Yes, I do believe there was a pandemic because I first hand saw evidence of the havoc COVID 19 wrecked.
Giridhar Achary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giridhar-achary.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green

Post by Giridhar Achary »

Indeed, I think that a pandemic occurred. However, the epidemic was man-made and artificial, rather than natural. The COVID-19 pandemic, in my opinion, was an upsetting and unusual occurrence. It is an actual, worldwide crisis.
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Saima Rahman »

Yes, there was a pandemic. It affected way too many lives all over the world and took away so many of them. There was a serious impact throughout the world with real, devastating repercussions present still.
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: The Alzheimer's/Hearing Aid Paradox by Robert C. Keefer PhD

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

Yes, I believe so. The COVID-19 affected millions of people worldwide and so it definitely was a pandemic.
Sean Patrick Tracy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-patrick-tracy.html
Latest Review: Raw Deal by Lee Fishman

Post by Sean Patrick Tracy »

Oh! There was pandemic. It was obvious and proven. I experienced it with some people near me who was tested as having it the virus.

Return to “Discuss "Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition): The Evidence Against the COVID Vaccines" by Dr. Colleen Huber”