Featured Review: Thin Places by Diane Owens Prettyman

Discuss the February 2013 book of the month "Thin Places" by Diane Owens Prettyman.
Mihiri Wasana Mohottala
Currently Reading: Cut Yourself a Break
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mihiri-wasana-mohottala.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Re: Featured Review: Thin Places by Diane Owens Prettyman

Post by Mihiri Wasana Mohottala »

Thin Places by Diana Owens Prettyman is a different type of story. Calvery was a prisoner. He had lost everything he cared about, including his wife and daughter. So he told everything to Tully who got to know in the prison. Calvery was in the death row & wanted Tully to give the message to his daughter that he was innocent. This is a beautiful story that makes readers in sorrow.
Fanny Chansa
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Fanny Chansa »

It sounds intresting and enticing i enjoyed every bit of your review although i got the names and characters mixed up at some point. All in all it's a good book and i will definitely have to finish reading the it. Great review
NdegwaSalome
Currently Reading: Four Pebbles on a Bench
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndegwasalome.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by NdegwaSalome »

This book was overhyped, I've read it and it's too predictable. It also lacks an aura of mystery and excitement. I think the characters could have been a little more dramatic.
lorineakoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorineakoth.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by lorineakoth »

The story seems to be interesting a man being released from prison at the same time dealing with divorce and his mother's illness is just a lot to take in, eager to know what led to his arrest and the execution of his friend. Nice review
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

A whole of events going through the storyline. I like how the thoughts were weaved together. Thanks for the review.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

This is quite an engaging story. It's a bit predictable I'd say, but also enjoyable. Thanks for the good review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Horlarmidey Harkinolah
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horlarmidey-harkinolah.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Horlarmidey Harkinolah »

Thanks for this beautiful review but the book sounds so boring. I can easily get a book written with the mindset of personal development than this. It sounds like all these boring love stories.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

This is quite an engaging story. It's a bit predictable I'd say, but also enjoyable. Thanks for the good review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

What an interesting story line. Thanks to the reviewer for a great review. Congratulations to the author on winning BOTD.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

Quite an intriguing story. Although the cover doesn't do the book justice; the premise of the story is interesting and leaves me with a wide variety of questions. What crime did Calvery get sentenced for? Will Chloe go into business with Duke? Will Chloe and Tully fall in love? Definitely a book I'm interested in reading. Thanks for sharing this enlightening review.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I am fascinated with the entanglements that were drawn around each character. Tully seems not definitely spaced out in his own role. But it adds to the excitement on Tully's part. What with his very loaded life, i.e., a divorcing wife, a mother terminally ill with cancer, a daughter not even having known him, a man has replaced him in his home -- and more importantly -- his having fallen in love with Chloe. The latter is an unexpected hazard in fulfilling his promise to Calver, his demised friend. Will Tully do more than what he was to do as bound by duty? Oops, sorry I seemed to be reviewing already the book. lol. I am just to comment. Great book. 4 out of 4 stars.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Hue-Morningstar
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hue-morningstar.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hue-Morningstar »

This book is surely not for me. I could not understand anything from the sample. And more, the story seems to be flat and straightforward. This made it hard to stay focused on the book. I have an objection to the rating of the review. I would have given it 2 out of 4 stars. As most will probably not be much thrilled when reading it. Sincere apologies if I have offended you.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds as though it has strong character development and might even be a bit more character-driven than plot-driven, which would be fine with me. Some aspects of the plot seem a little predictable, like Tully developing feelings for Chloe, but other elements promise to be unique enough to carry the intrigue throughout the entire book. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I'm intrigued by Calgary's request for Tully, and I'd like to read more to discover how everything turns out for Tully and Chloe. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Mary Rose Cajayon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-rose-cajayon.html
Latest Review: 17 Laws of Nature by Maurice Huff

Post by Mary Rose Cajayon »

The book seems to be a good book with a lot of story to tell. I am very convinced that this book is a good one. I love Tully and Cloe and I hope they end up together. Congrats Botd

Return to “"Thin Places" by Diane Owens Prettyman”