Featured Review: Thin Places by Diane Owens Prettyman

Discuss the February 2013 book of the month "Thin Places" by Diane Owens Prettyman.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Re: Featured Review: Thin Places by Diane Owens Prettyman

Post by Uche Active »

This book has a thought-provoking and intriguing cover page that makes me want to find out more. It also has n interesting title. I am looking forward to reading this book. Congratulations to the author on winning book of the day.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 642
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

"Thin Places" by Diane Owens Prettyman is a mystery combined with Irish folklore and religion. Finn Tully is a convict and heroin addict in a Texas prison that befriends another con named Calvery who is on death row while he is mopping floors. Tully sneaks Calvery sugar and Calvery gives him wine that he makes from the sugar. Calvery has a daughter named Chloe that he really loves but will never see again since he is going to be executed. Calvery makes Tully promise that when he gets out of prison, he will find Chloe and tell her how he feels about her and that he was wrongly convicted. Tully gets released shortly after he learns that his wife has divorced him so he goes to see his mother and the two of them go to the state of Washington to look for Chloe. One needs to read the book to find out what happens in Washington. Good review.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

The plot is interesting so I’m looking forward to digging into this novel to know how Tully will be able to tell Chloe about the truth of his connection to her father and how this will pan out if he gets around in telling her. It seems to be a story about choices one makes and the consequences of their actions.
Last edited by Misael Carlos on 27 May 2023, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

Thin Places sounds like a good book to read. Self discovery, mystery and Irish folklore in one story.
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

Thin Places sounds like a good book to read. Self discovery, mystery and Irish folklore in one story.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Well done for this review. This seems like an interesting fiction. I particularly enjoy the fact that Tully eventually honoured the dying inmate's request.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

A mystery book about self-discovery. This sounds like a book I'd read. I'm curious to find out how and if Finn Tully turned his life around. Great review!
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

This appears to be a nicely written easy read. However, from the excerpt, I'm not clear on the direction of the story beyond the prison, or how much interest I may have in the ongoing story.
sdynamod
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sdynamod »

I found your review to be captivating and interesting i did wish i read the full book but your review gives me a briefing of the entire books. seeing how he struggle out of prison and his mothers health, not considering the disappointment from his unfaithful wife he decided to move to pursue his dream . Awesome review
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting story about a man who, after being imprisoned, becomes friends with a death row inmate who tells the man all about his daughter, life and treasure. Before the inmate's execution, the man promises to meet the daughter and tell her about her father. When the man is eventually released, he has to deal with a divorce and his mother having cancer. Eventually, he takes his mother to meet his friend's daughter where he relates her father's story and then develop a relationship together. It might be worth a second look. Well done.
Robinlloyd17
Currently Reading: Fair cronies and felonies
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinlloyd17.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Robinlloyd17 »

This sounds like an interesting book about promises and life changes. Thank you for your review!
Jaidyn Taylor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaidyn-taylor.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Jaidyn Taylor »

This sounds like it might be interesting. Thanks for the review.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Thanks for your great review. This book seems a little odd to me. Self-discovery, Irish folklore, and mystery all in one. I'm not sure it would be my cup of tea.
Haime Alshaef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haime-alshaef.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Haime Alshaef »

Very interesting. I’m curious about Tully and Chloe and how their relationship develops. I’m also wondering what “thin places” is. It is the title and you did mention it once so it must have some importance and I’m interested in learning more about this. Great review!
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

An insightful tale of self discovery that turned into a mystery is nicely presented in the book "Thin Places" by Diane Owens Prettyman. I want to read more about Tully.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “"Thin Places" by Diane Owens Prettyman”