Ender's Game

Discuss the April 2013 book of the month "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
Jabori
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jabori.html

Re: Ender's Game

Post by Jabori »

This is one of my favorite books just because of how well Card depicts the emotional turmoil of not just Ender but all of his characters. He even makes Col. Graff despite all of his actions not seem heartless which is quite the feat.
whero
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whero.html
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by whero »

I read Ender's Game when I was a teenager, and I have to say it was a pretty incredible book. The psychological implications of what Ender goes through astounded me even then. I never read more than the one book though (too many books, too little time). And now I'm a little hesitant to go and buy more from Orson Scott Card, because it turns out he's extremely homophobic and I'd rather not support people like that. :S bit of a dilemma really.
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
lissalauren23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lissalauren23.html

Post by lissalauren23 »

I so enjoyed reading this book. I didn't know much about it until some time ago when a friend recommended it to me. He told me the overall ending of the book, no chance to give me the heads up on spoiler alert! But from what he told me, the book didn't really grasp my interest. I bought the book and read within 2/3 days. I LOVED it. I was a little skeptical because of the idea of having a book filled with 'battle scenes', and that can be hard to convey within words instead of simply watching it on screen. But how the book was written and the mental images that were painted, amazed me. I fell in love with Ender and how he strived so hard to do his best and aimed to do what was right. I have yet to read the sequels, but they are on my list of future reads, along with a numerous other titles I hope to conquer someday soon.
Adurna101
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Favorite Book: Hidden Empire
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adurna101.html
Latest Review: "Extinction" by Daleen Viljoen
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Adurna101 »

I hate to be one of those people, but I'm very much scared to read the book series, especially after seeing the movie. Because I don't want anything to top my favourite books. See, the movie wasn't absolutely the best, but I could tell from it that the books would be amazing, so hence I'm a little worried. Haha.
Aim to Misbehave!

Check out my Reviews at; http://onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adurna101.html
Latest Review: "Extinction" by Daleen Viljoen
stillnotspecial
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stillnotspecial.html

Post by stillnotspecial »

I really like Ender's game because well it deals with the question that a lot of people face today, whether killing someone is ever justified and what makes a being dumb enough to be killed.
StevePicks

Post by StevePicks »

Does anyone think that there should be a (not per say rewrite) maybe a sequel to Ender's Game? I don't think there was one, but if there was, let me know :) I think they should have a new one come out that takes place like 200 hundred years later and have it be about the legacy left behind, or maybe even have it be written from an "enemy territory" point of view…?
ravenclaw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenclaw.html

Post by ravenclaw »

I was required to read this for my summer reading and it was so good. I am really thankful that it was on my list because I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise.
masterg

Post by masterg »

StevePicks wrote:Does anyone think that there should be a (not per say rewrite) maybe a sequel to Ender's Game? I don't think there was one, but if there was, let me know :) I think they should have a new one come out that takes place like 200 hundred years later and have it be about the legacy left behind, or maybe even have it be written from an "enemy territory" point of view…?
But there are sequels. It's takes place 3000 years later.
I personally like the sequels in Ender's Shadow better and they continue right after the ending of Ender's Game / Ender's Shadow.
Christianmom1008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christianmom1008.html

Post by Christianmom1008 »

I enjoyed the movie. I haven't had a chance to read the book, but they say that the book is usually better than the movie. Hopefully I will get around to reading it sometime in the near future. Thank you for all of the input on the book. It is definitely pushing a greater inspiration on me to go grab it from my local library.
nannyluvscmu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nannyluvscmu.html

Post by nannyluvscmu »

I really liked this book. It was recommended to me by a friend and at first I was dubious, but I ended up really liking it. One of the major issues I had with the movie version was the lack of details. Ender was a really sympathetic character and that was missed in the film, but in the book you really understand his internal rebellion and his devastation at the end. I supremely liked ENDER'S SHADOW, even though it almost negates the huge role Ender has in this book as a war genius since Bean is the focus.
michystar12
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michystar12.html

Post by michystar12 »

This book sounds interesting
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I watched the movie first and then when I googled, I realised it was adapted from the series. The movie was great but left me a little unsatisfied and I had a lot of questions so I went on to read the series and there was so much missing from the movies and the relationships were different as well. I enjoyed the books so much! And there's a lot to learn as well. There's a lot of psychological aspects in this book and I really admire the Card for writing such a great character like Ender. I don't really read Sci-fi but I couldn't stop reading this series to the end. Awesome!
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I read a non-fiction book by Orson Scott Card that I did not really like. But he mentioned the Ender's Game in it and even his brief description caught my attention, so will be interested in reading the book. It's also encouraging to see all the good reviews about it.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
Teen-Librarian12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teen-librarian12.html

Post by Teen-Librarian12 »

The movie was nearly as good as the book. I can only hope they make the sequels into movies if possible!
craftshley
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftshley.html
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston

Post by craftshley »

I loved this book from the beginning. The way in which Ender was bullied and insulted to make him the best soldier was simply an outrage but the fact that I felt outraged is a good sign of the quality of writing. The ending was such a shock the first time I read it and was the second time as well, as it had been a while since I'd read the book. I haven't read any of the other books in the series. I just really like the series from Ender's point of view and don't want to stray away from that.
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston

Return to “"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card”