THWilliams82
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter Series
Currently Reading: Lord of the Rings Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thwilliams82.html

Re: Ender's Game

Post by THWilliams82 »

I haven't read the book but have wanted to since I saw the movie. I always find that books are 1000 times better than movies.
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

I was a little skeptical of this book at first. I wouldn't consider myself as someone who gravitates to science fiction (though, I absolutely do enjoy sci-fi when I end up reading it!), and it sounded like a book that only boys would like. Boy, was I wrong! I was engrossed in the story from the very beginning, and could not put it down. I've been interested to read other books in the series, but haven't yet!
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

I loved this book! Definitely a 4/4 for me. I've read this several times now (though I'm glad I skipped the movie, as I heard it changed a lot!)
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
DalekPrideParade
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalekprideparade.html

Post by DalekPrideParade »

Another book that I have to read. My list is so long.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

I really liked reading this book. Childhood is supposed to be the best time of a person's life and the memories of childhood are a treasured possession. The story was so touching.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

THWilliams82 wrote:I haven't read the book but have wanted to since I saw the movie. I always find that books are 1000 times better than movies.
After just seeing that this was a (long) past book of the month, that was my first thought as well. The movie was pretty awesome!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I really love Ender's Game. Card does a great job bringing in the subject of child soldiers, and what we do to children when we take away their childhoods. I am a person who really believes words are the most powerful tool we have, and I really loved finding out that the inability to communicate is what caused the war in the book. It really goes along with my belief that if all parties took the time to try to communicate, we could avoid almost all conflict.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
glassfable5
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glassfable5.html

Post by glassfable5 »

I haven't read this one yet, but it's on my list and waiting on the bookshelf in my room for me to get to it. I did read Ender's Shadow though years ago, and liked it quite a bit. I recently saw the movie, Ender's Game though, and thought it was cool. I'm hoping I can get to the book soon so I can compare and contrast.
Scorsee
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorsee.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Scorsee »

This is one of my all time favorite books! The characters are amazing and the way the plot develops is fantastic. Ender himself makes an intriguing central character...whenever I pick up these books again I end up fully immersed in another world.

I've read all of the Ender Series and the Shadow series. I think I prefer Bean's perspective a bit more. But Speaker for the Dead was excellent.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -Albus Dumbledore
jadestar31
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadestar31.html

Post by jadestar31 »

Ender’s Game is a masterpiece. There’s no other way to describe it. Truth be told, I’m not a huge fan of science fiction and I was really doubtful that I would enjoy reading this novel, but this book is incredible. The writing is so intelligent, the characters are so dynamic and the plot moves at the perfect pace.

The one thing it takes a while to get used to is the fact that all the children appear a lot older than they are. Sometimes, it is very difficult to remember that they are only six or seven years old when they’re talking like teenagers. Apparently, it’s one of the biggest criticisms of the novel. However, if you suspend disbelief at this element, what you’re left with are very interesting characters. I thought it was done purposely in order to stress the fact that they were intelligent, intellectually advanced soldiers and could never be mistaken as being simply children.

The relationships between Ender and everyone else were also so important and so sincere. He was shown to be their leader and their commander, but not their friend. The whole book revolves around Ender’s isolation from his friends and family in order to do what had to be done. It’s so heartbreaking, but we’re forced to see the necessity of it. Consequently, there’s nobody to hate. At one point or another, you find yourself sympathizing with all of the characters.

Even though I’m a huge fan of this book, I don’t think I will be reading any more of the series. In my eyes, the book ended perfectly and I’m completely satisfied. I will be recommending this book to all my friends. It’s emotionally complex with a lot of layers. I’m officially a huge fan of Orson Scott Card.
Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy. ~Unknown
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I saw the movie. I didn't know it was a book or I would've waited to read the book first. I thought the movie was OK but not that great. I should read the book because its probably way better!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
teacher_jane1
Currently Reading: The Quiet American
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher-jane1.html
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel

Post by teacher_jane1 »

An incredible book. I didn't read it till I was 24, and even though it was written for younger people it rattled me deeply. This book is such a great example of what YA literature can be when a thoughtful author takes on the task! What did people think of the movie?
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel
minderly
Currently Reading: Prototype
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minderly.html
Latest Review: "Omega Pathogen" by J.G. Hicks, Jr.

Post by minderly »

Loved Ender's Game...but I had a lot of questions in the end...don't think too deeply about the book as an adult.
Latest Review: "Omega Pathogen" by J.G. Hicks, Jr.
Krizelle101
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krizelle101.html

Post by Krizelle101 »

This book is unique among other things. Even the "Battle Room" idea that Orson Scott came up with is amazing! I couldn't think of that idea if I tried. I became a fan of the author of Ender's Game because of the said book. Even if it's Science Fiction, Logic would still apply like playing in Zero gravity, colonizing other planets, solar systems, or galaxies or being able to live for thousans of years by traveling thru light years. For me, this book is, in a way similar to Harry Potter, only instead of magic, it deals with science. It was like discovering another world all over again.

-- 10 May 2015, 10:21 --
minderly wrote:Loved Ender's Game...but I had a lot of questions in the end...don't think too deeply about the book as an adult.
You should read the "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scott it's like the second book of Ender's Game. All the unanswered questions in the said book are answered in speaker for the dead. This is another awe inspiring book. :D
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

Everyone always talks about how amazing this book is, but I didn't care for it.

Return to “"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card”