Book or Movie?

Discuss the April 2013 book of the month "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Book or Movie?

Post by aaa123 »

I have watched the movie but have not yet read the book. What are you opinions?
1ChiGeek
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1chigeek.html

Post by 1ChiGeek »

I've seen the movie but not read the book. I liked the movie more its special effects. The acting was okay. I felt bad for Ender.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

The first book is great. From there, it went downhill to me. A lot of philosophy........but no way to top the first book. If it had been left with just Ender's Game, it would be great. Also, the movie stayed very true to form in following the book which is rare enough. Loved that!!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I have also only seen the movie so far. But I do have the book and it is on my list to read. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Post by litmonster »

I've only read the book and have had mixed feelings on seeing the movie. I find it interesting how long it took before they made a movie of this book. I heard the game room and the effects were the best part of the movie and the parts most true to the book.
bade-toska
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bade-toska.html

Post by bade-toska »

The book is most definitely better than the movie. The movie wasn't bad, but the book really gets you into Enders head and I feel like that is the huge part of the message of the book. In the book the reader follows Ender's very grownup struggles despite his youthful age. My favorite part of the book is that we learn that children are capable of understanding and dealing with difficult topics, although adults do not often understand this themselves. Ender is a child that saves the world and he is mature and yet still young at the same time; this mixture of personality is diluted in the movie. Read the book! Read it! Its very good.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

The book is really, really good! Unfortunately, I don't think that the movie is very good. In the movie, the child actors were too old and not very believable. But in the book, the dialogue and narrative are strong enough to allow readers to really connect with the characters and believe it.

I'm almost always going to choose a book over a movie, btw!
read well and write bravely
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

I agree with those who did not care for the book.

It had some very famous or top notch adult actors, but mostly had to focus on the children, and they really were quite wooden and made the film feel longer than it was.

Have recently added the book on my list of future reads here though.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

1ChiGeek wrote:I've seen the movie but not read the book. I liked the movie more its special effects. The acting was okay. I felt bad for Ender.
I've only seen the movie, not read the book, but this was absolutely my takeaway as well. Beyond the ending itself and what actually happened, all I could think was "geez, that's an awful thing to put on such a young kid..."
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Vallary
Currently Reading: Cornerstone
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vallary.html

Post by Vallary »

I actually like the movie. I haven't read the book though.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I didn't like the movie very much (the acting was so bad! And I know, I know, they're just kids, but it was frustrating that they couldn't pull it off).

The book, on the other hand, is really, really well done. I loved it from start to finish, and the ending is great! I'm excited to finally start reading the next book
read well and write bravely
BookSavvy90
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksavvy90.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by BookSavvy90 »

Even though I've had the book since I was a kid I still haven't read it. But I did see the movie (because lord knows I couldn't say no to Harrison Ford and also it looked kind of cool in the trailer) and I thought it was pretty cool, especially when Ender opened up a can of whoop-ass on Bonzo (I'm sorry but he was asking for it). Not gonna lie there were parts where I felt like something might be missing (maybe something that was in the book but not in the movie?) and I wish I didn't feel that because it changed my experience watching the movie for the rest of the film.
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane
ChelseaL-25
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseal-25.html

Post by ChelseaL-25 »

The book is definitely better than the movie. I read Ender's Game as a request from a teacher in middle school, and i still remember every detail. That book was my favorite for a solid 4 years after reading it. It had the best twists and turns i have ever read, and i cant wait until i can get my hands on another copy. As for the movie, i only have seen scenes of it from now and then, but from what i have scene, the movie feels very slow and honestly mocks the name the Ender's Game achieved. The book can not be made into a movie, and so the movie could never be compared to the book. Ender's Game is what started my appreciation for books, and i will always adore this book.
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

The book is clearly better, but I think the movie wasn't bad. The actors and actresses did good jobs, and the script pulled a lot of its material from the book itself.

It was very cool to see the Battle Room realized, as well as the final fight with the formics. But I feel that the book did a better job of explaining Ender's psychology, and the symbolism of how the battles in Battle School mirrored the fights with the Formics.

I also think that the movie didn't include Bean enough, but that might because I really like Ender's Shadow.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
Skoraeus
Currently Reading: Magnus Chase and the God of Asgard
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skoraeus.html

Post by Skoraeus »

Movie. I watched the movie and it was pretty awesome. The graphics and special effects were nicely done and doesn't looked rushed. The plot and storyline was amazing too, I'm glad I watched it and not miss on such perfect movie. One of the best during those times.

Return to “"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card”