J. R. R. Tolkien or C. S. Lewis??

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Re: J. R. R. Tolkien or C. S. Lewis??

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

I would be a little biased over this because I haven't read or watched The Lord of the Rings. It's C.S. Lewis for me. I enjoyed all of his seven books about Chronicles of Narnia. I watched all of the movies. And I'm looking forward for the netflix remake of the movie. Hopefully, it gets better. I love the actors especially the actor who portrayed Edmund. He is my fave character.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

The amount of detail Tolkein put into his books is astounding. While the movie adaptions from both authors are amazing, I think Tolkien's creativity shines. The connection between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings can add so much to the readers experience, even though both stand on their own perfectly.
Carrye McDonald
Currently Reading: Truth That Dawns
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrye-mcdonald.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B004HZYA6E

Post by Carrye McDonald »

Tolkien for me. I enjoyed Lewis's work, but it just seems a bit simple. Maybe "straightforward" would be a better word? Tolkien's work to build Middle Earth feels much more complex. It's almost like it's another world that actually exists with complex people and a lush history all of its own. I've read Lord of the Rings many times, and every time, I find some new facet or understanding that I missed before. Lewis has written many nice stories, but I've never been able to stick to a re-read because it just feels stale the second time. At least it does to me.
Rubel Ahamed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rubel Ahamed »

This one is hard as I love both series but I am a HUGE LOTR and The Hobbit fan so Tolkien wins it for me. Tolkien had such an amazing way with words that everytime I read his books, I find someone new to pause and ponder.
Rubel Ahamed

Post by Rubel Ahamed »

I think I love them both. Funny that they were both friends as well. The Screwtape Letters was intriguing and thought provoking. I grew up loving Narnia and read The Hobbit in school. They each have their own style of storytelling in faraway lands that so similarly remind us of our own world.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

I love them both. It literally depends on my mood as to what I read, and both authors are fantastic. I simply cannot choose one over the other.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

A lot of people feel pretty strongly about both, but for me the short answer is Tolkien. He's the infallible genius.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

This is a hard choice but I would go with C.S Lewis
chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine »

I prefer c.s lewis. Like Narnia.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

I have read more of J. R. t. Tolkien books so he's my favorite.
Xylina Graf
Favorite Book: The Giving Tree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xylina-graf.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Xylina Graf »

I like both authors, yet I'd lean more towards Lewis because of the Narnia chronicles. Such classic stories to read.
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

I have read all the books of Chronicles of Narnia and I love all of them. It's C.S. Lewis for me :D
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

C.S Lewis for me if we're talking about Narnia versus Lord of the rings but Tolkein if we're talking about The Hobbit.

I loved The Hobbit but found Lord of the Rings difficult to get through. I'd put Narnia in the middle of these.
alexsbookhoard
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexsbookhoard.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by alexsbookhoard »

Tolkien, without a doubt.

Nothing against C.S. Lewis, at all! He did brilliantly with The Chronicles of Narnia and his nonfiction works. But for me, Tolkien stands above all fantasy authors. He truly is a mythmaker, to the extent that he used his extensively knowledge of mythology and folklore to create his own world mythology for the world in which Middle Earth was but one part. Each character has a life, a backstory, and a motivation. The characters who come from other lands and have deeper connection feel like they have the gravitas to match the otherworldliness that they are given.

He also took the time, made his own language for the series, and wrote more about the extended lore of his world than he wrote in the four books that chronicle the hobbits' adventures. He knew, forward and backward, the world he created. And while pieces of lore changed through the writing and revising (as seen by some conflicting information in the extended writings), he kept track of his lore and held it firm.

Lewis is good, but for me, it's got to be Tolkien
metaphysical_muse
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metaphysical-muse.html
Latest Review: Grit & Granite by Katherine Lee Johnson

Post by metaphysical_muse »

This is such a fascinating question. However, I feel the two authors were so vastly different (in spite of their similarities) that you can't really compare them!
When it comes to works that they are famous for, Lewis wrote an allegorical, Platonic-bent series, with relatable characters and very clearly written to a younger audience. Tolkien wrote a series packed with meaning, languages, and an entire system of lore. It's famously said that he wrote LOTR just because he wanted a book to put his own language in, which right away tells you that the system is going to be significantly more intricate. Both are glorious and all-time favorites of mine, but on two completely different levels.
When it comes to theology, as I think OP was discussing, Lewis comes out on top for me. His writing is significantly clearer and more accessible to me, whereas Tolkien's is, like some of his lore, mystifying and more time-consuming to digest (although just as rewarding). Anyone read Tolkien Dogmatics?. It's on my list...I'll get to it eventually!
Both authors...10/10!

Return to “Discuss Authors”