Interview with Norm Applegate

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Interview with Norm Applegate

Post by Scott »

(In the following, Ellen George interviews Norm Applegate, author of Into the Basement and Into The Spell.)

I had the privilege to ask author Norm Applegate some questions......

ellen - Norm, you have one of the most unique heroines I have ever read, Kim Bennett - a Dominatrix - can you tell us about her?

Norm - Kim is our heroine in our series. She's a muscular brunette with hair down around her shoulders, a strong but feminine jaw line and cheek bones that gives her that sultry look. Moving from New Jersey to San Francisco she grew a successful clientele of men and women who wanted nothing more than pain with their pleasure. With a reputation of making young girls do the thing they have never done before, Kim is a professional in the edgy world of S&M. Her favorite music is the sound of leather stiking someone's ass. When nervous or bored, has a disturbing habit of counting the letters in words people say. Street smart, and with an uncanny ability for memorization, she is an old soul, hardened on the outside, a huge heart, and won't run from trouble. Oh yeah, don't ever challenge her with a dare.

ellen - Where did you get the idea to have her as a main character for your books Into the Basement and Into the Spell?

Norm - As I started writing 'Basement', I knew it was going to have a female heroine as the lead, I just didn't know how or what the stories would be and as they developed, Kim took over - I know her so well she is real for me.

ellen - My first review of your book, (Into the Spell) I wrote "This is not your Momma's thriller!" What do you think when you get that kind of reaction?

Norm - My Mom loves my work, she is a James Patterson fan but think I have won her over. I don't know anyone that writes my type of erotic horror/thrillers, so I guess it's a good thing. It WAS a compliment, wasn't it?? That's a great catch phrase and it snagged me, as you well know it has lead to a relationship with Triad, myself and you. What your readers may not know is I asked Vern Firestone at Triad to contact you as a book reviewer and it has opened up a rewarding avenue for the other authors at Triad, and yourself - this interview today is another example of that growing relationship - thanks.

ellen - Norm, how did you 'research' Kim's world?

Norm - You'll have to beat it out of me....(to which ellen replied, Kim would love that, wouldn't she? smile)

ellen - Your 'Into the'series is very adult with sex and violence - did you mean to write such a specific theme?

Norm - I was increasingly nervous as the release date for 'Basement' was approaching. I attempted to create a realistic novel about abduction, torture, and murder. Which naturally lends itself toward sexual overtones, and at one point considered not publishing the novel, however, after its release it was a non-issue - the responses have all been great. I'm finding 80% to 90% of my correspondence is from women looking for the erotic suspense thriller and particularly a novel with the strong female lead.

ellen - In 'Into the Spell', your second book in the series, you have Madam Blavatsky featured - can you speak about her and why was she included in the book?

Norm - Yes, while traveling through New Zealand and Australia as a hypnotherapist in the 1980's I stumbled upon Theosophy, some call it a religion, I won't go into that here but it's premise is the truth in life is the combination of Philosophy, Science, and Religion. The infamous H.P. Blavatsky, and I say infamous because she was a clairvoyant with claims to a number of psychic abilities and founded The Theosophical Society and I was looking for a figure that the deranged criminal Titus in 'Spell', would talk to in his mind - she was perfect. (note from ellen - Madam Blavatsky's books are still being sold)

ellen - You introduced vampires in your series - will we be seeing more vampire involvement in the subsequent books?

Norm - Absolutely, my next novel, 'Into the Haven', we'll go into the Blood-bar, meet some vampires, and talk about Jack the Ripper.

ellen - Where do you see this series going?

Norm - I'm thinking the follow up novels will be a vampire series with Kim Bennett in the middle of some wicked thrillers with a horror twist.

ellen - Ever think we'll see Kim Bennett in a movie?

Norm - Yes, I'm writing the screenplay to 'Basement', with Kym Wilde - it will be finished the middle of '08, talking to a director, some music people, and we'll see where it goes.

ellen - Would you tell the readers the flavor of your work is - always been in this genre?

Norm - Genre is horror/thrillers, however there are layers to what we mean when we say horror. 'Basement' has an S&M quality to it, 'Spell', more of a twilight zone influence, and 'Haven' will be an erotic vampire affair, but all deal with the power exchange of a female character solving a series of murders.

ellen - Always been a writer?

Norm - I've always been a dreamer, just didn't make the connection with paper and pencil until about 6 to 7 years ago.

ellen - What's next for you?

Norm - On March 23 at 4:00, I'll be on The Jane Crown Show - internet talk radio. March 28-30, the World Horror Convention in Salt Lake City, Nicholas Grabowsky and I will be signing 'From the Shadows', a horror anthology, 13 stories released in February just in time for Valentine's Day - Then in June, the Mystery Mingle, a thiller writers weekend event at Lido Beach in Sarasota, Florida.

ellen - You are a big part of Triad Publishing Group - describe your association with them -

Norm - You're making me blush. Vern (Firestone) and I have a great relationship, talk every two or three days, laugh a lot, and amazed what's happening with both Triad and my career.

ellen - Vern, the Triad publisher, also designed your covers, didn't he?

Norm - Actually, he designed both books, but my wife's father painted the cover for 'Basement' and both novels' covers portray the story lines very well - I love the eyes from 'Spell'.

ellen - What advice would you give to readers who have a book in them?

Norm - Get that alien out of your chest and start writing! I do an outline, just a sentence or two for the first 15 chapters so I have some direction and then it develops on its own.

ellen - Where can fans reach you?

Norm - They can reach me at www.normapplegate.com and www.myspace.com/normapplegate

Thanks Norm! You have been so great to me, and I appreciate your participation and your work!
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Discuss Authors”