Hubert Selby Jr.

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Damiano
Bookshelf Size: 0

Hubert Selby Jr.

Post by Damiano »

Hi, I'm new around here :)

Did some of you read some books from Hubert Selby, Jr.? He is one of my favourite authors. The way he used to talk about literature was really inspiring for me.

He is mot known for having written "Requiem for a Dream" (because of the famous movie) and "Last Exit to Brooklyn" (which is a collection of short stories).

When he died - a few years ago - I saw nothing in the papers, which was a shame because, from my point of view, he was such a talented author! His books were really dark but really well-written. And I really like his original style.

Any fans of Selby here? :)
clarebear

Post by clarebear »

Yeah I've read Last Exit to Brooklyn and Reqium for a Dream and enjoyed both very much. I have Waiting Period still to read.
I love his writing, its very distinctive.

"I knew that someday I was gonna die
And I knew before I died
Two things would happen to me
That number one: I would regret my entire life
And number two: I would want to live my life over again" Hubert Selby Jr
"There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." Sylvia Plath
julps

Post by julps »

I was readng Waiting Period but the library wanted it back before I finished... I thought it was kinda excellent but for some reason I just kept forgetting about it for days at a time. Will probably "try again" pretty soon.

How is Requiem different as a book from the movie? I love love love the movie but haven't really even thought about reading the book, before. I probably should, right..? :)
kaytie

Post by kaytie »

Damiano,

Please check out It/ll Be Better Tomorrow, a documentary about Cubby Selby made soon after he died. You'll learn a lot about the man behind the writing.

(And you'll see me. I was one of Cubby's last students--he was an amazing teacher--and I was interviewed for the documentary.)

Anyway, it's an excellent film that did the festival circuit.

Cheers,

Kaytie

Edited to add: there were obituaries in some papers, the LA Times most notably. And a huge memorial service for him in Hollywood.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Have you heard "Our Fathers Who Aren't in Heaven?" It's a pretty rare spoken work compilation. Part of it has Selby reading some stuff. Amazing.

I think this is it: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AP5YA9FH

Or, if you don't want to do that, PM me.

Return to “Discuss Authors”