Philippa Gregory

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
dcmerkle
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 3258

Philippa Gregory

Post by dcmerkle »

I'm in the process of finishing "The Red Queen". When I first picked up the book and started reading it I realized that it was part of a series, but I just couldn't put it down. I am going to read the first in the series, "The White Queen". How badly have I gone and confused myself by reading it out of order?...lol
DCMerkle
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I didn't read them in order either and I don't think it made any differnce to my enjoyment of the characters and their stories. Excellent historical fiction IMO ... Enjoy
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
dcmerkle
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by dcmerkle »

Fran wrote:I didn't read them in order either and I don't think it made any differnce to my enjoyment of the characters and their stories. Excellent historical fiction IMO ... Enjoy
Thanks Fran. Now I can read them without feeling guilty!

-- 19 Sep 2012, 15:54 --

Well, I've started the "White Queen" and I'm finding that I am referring back to the "Red Queen". I'm trying to tell myself that it's not all that confusing. I'm also trying to find a "War of the Roses" book for Dummies....lol
brownmarsh12

Post by brownmarsh12 »

For my book group I have just read "Earthly Joys" by Philippa Gregory. This is the first book by this author I have read.
Fran

Post by Fran »

brownmarsh12 wrote:For my book group I have just read "Earthly Joys" by Philippa Gregory. This is the first book by this author I have read.
Interested to know what you thought of it
- My Home by Clive James
FastReader

Post by FastReader »

I have been enjoying her books for years. I am fascinated by the Tudor period. Can anyone recommend another author who writes historical fiction about that topic?
Fran

Post by Fran »

FastReader wrote:I have been enjoying her books for years. I am fascinated by the Tudor period. Can anyone recommend another author who writes historical fiction about that topic?
Have you read Hilary Mantel? ... Wolf Hall & Bring Up the Bodies are superb on Henry Viii & his relationship with Thomas Cromwell both are 5* reads IMO. You should definitely consider C J Sansom ... he has a brilliant series The Shardlake Series, set in the period of Henry Viii & follows the adventures of a hunchback lawyer Matthew Shardlake who works in the first books on commission for Thos Cromwell, subsequently for Archbishop Thomas Cranmer and in the last book for Queen Catherine Parr in Heartstone. Absolutely brilliant series, Sansom has a real ability to bring the period to life and his character moves seamlessly between the lives of the ordinary people, clerks & servants and the lives of courtiers and royalty. You can practically smell the streets in his books :oops: :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
Rachelka

Post by Rachelka »

Hi Dcmerkle

The White Queen and The Red Queen are essentially the same book told from different points of view. If I'm honest I felt cheated after reading the Red Queen, like I'd paid £8 to read the same stuff again with a slightly different spin on it.

I skipped Lady of the Rivers but might give the Kingmaker's Daughter a try if I can get it cheap in the post X-mas sales.
I completely agree with Fran about Wolf Hall & Bring up the Bodies. They are both fantastic books and I can't wait for the third and final instalment in the series.
MysFan

Post by MysFan »

FastReader wrote:I have been enjoying her books for years. I am fascinated by the Tudor period. Can anyone recommend another author who writes historical fiction about that topic?
Fiona Buckley writes about a character, Ursula Blanchard, who works as a spy for Elizabeth I. These are mysteries, but easy reads. Interesting stories.

Allison Weir is both a fiction and non-fiction author and has written about this period, among other periods in English history. I particularly like her story about various theories of what happened to the two young princes; Richard III nephews. (Sorry, wrong period, but interesting reading.)

Karen S. Harper also writes a series about Elizabeth. I have not seen a book by her in some time so not sure if she just stopped writing, I have not looked hard enough or if she has died.

Christopher Hibbert writes non-fiction and his "The Virgin Queen: Elizabeth I, Genius oof the Golden Age" is good. I think this book clearly articulates the impact of her long reign and her support of exploration (although she was tight with money so the early explorers had to prove it was worth it to her). In her first years she had to be as her father had left little for her to work with in the way of resources.

I like works about Elizabeth I as I am interested in reading about strong female leaders in history. They obviously had to overcome serious barriers to rule. And England has always been somewhat unique as it is one of only a few countries that has historically allowed women rulers. (I think Russia and Sweden.....others?)
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Fran wrote:
Have you read Hilary Mantel? ... Wolf Hall & Bring Up the Bodies are superb on Henry Viii & his relationship with Thomas Cromwell both are 5* reads IMO ...
I agree, Fran, and I've heard on the grapevine that Hilary Mantel will soon hit the Top 40 Best Reads list in Australia.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Mbchef1
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbchef1 »

I am just finishing the Wideacre series. Not as keen on these as I am on the ones about royalty etc but still engaging.
What do others think?
maramer
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maramer.html

Post by maramer »

Phillipa Gregory is one of my favorite authors --I enjoy the history as well as the story of various people and she blends it so well
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:
Fran wrote:
Have you read Hilary Mantel? ... Wolf Hall & Bring Up the Bodies are superb on Henry Viii & his relationship with Thomas Cromwell both are 5* reads IMO ...
I agree, Fran, and I've heard on the grapevine that Hilary Mantel will soon hit the Top 40 Best Reads list in Australia.
Hey guys, both books are definitely on my TBR. Heard great things about "Bring up the Bodies".
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
cymrykuini

Post by cymrykuini »

Hi there! Philippa Gregory has always been one of my favourite authours along with Diana Gabaldon. I've become fascinated with the Tudor period becasue of her books. I did enjoy the Wideacre series, but not as much as her other books. I've just finished Lady of the RIvers, loved it. It was great. Looking forward to the Kingmakers Daughter. :) Great to see other people that love her as much as I do :)
serenity01

Post by serenity01 »

I've read all of Philippa Gregorys books. For the longest time I was on her Forum. The Forum is now closed.
As she now has a Facebook Page.

Return to “Discuss Authors”