How Many Chances Do You Give An Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: How Many Chances Do You Give An Author?

Post by Jyockel08 »

Twice. Fool me once.
Some never get another opportunity.
Disquisitive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disquisitive.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Disquisitive »

If it's my first time reading that author, I probably wouldn't give him or her another chance. The reason is simply that life is too short for that! There are more books to read than time available, so looked at that way, it's an easy choice.

That said, there are some exceptions: firstly, in the case where I have on at least one occasion previously enjoyed a book by that author. In that case, I would give him or her one final chance - but I would pick carefully out of the author's remaining books to find the one I would be most likely to enjoy.

Secondly, if I later realized the author had a book whose plot looked very intriguing and which I know I would read if I didn't know it was written by that author, I would be likely to give him or her a final chance.

If in doubt, I would see on the side of not giving another chance because of life being shorter than the number of books available.
Nama Winnie
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nama-winnie.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Nama Winnie »

Exactly one, especially if it's the first read on their work. I am a little forgiving towards subsequent books that I will rate lower.
Nama Winnie

Post by Nama Winnie »

Disquisitive wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 20:54 If it's my first time reading that author, I probably wouldn't give him or her another chance. The reason is simply that life is too short for that! There are more books to read than time available, so looked at that way, it's an easy choice.

That said, there are some exceptions: firstly, in the case where I have on at least one occasion previously enjoyed a book by that author. In that case, I would give him or her one final chance - but I would pick carefully out of the author's remaining books to find the one I would be most likely to enjoy.

Secondly, if I later realized the author had a book whose plot looked very intriguing and which I know I would read if I didn't know it was written by that author, I would be likely to give him or her a final chance.

If in doubt, I would see on the side of not giving another chance because of life being shorter than the number of books available.
You have written everything I wanted to write. An echo to my thoughts.

I agree with you life is too short:)
Nama Winnie

Post by Nama Winnie »

Alyssa wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 10:32 I use to agree with Waldorf in that if I couldn’t finish the book I’m done with the author. Mind, there have been times I didn’t like 1 book but a few years later I find myself pouring over another by the same author. So I always try to keep an open mind, most authors continue to work at developing their skills.
Chances are I won't even remember the author if I can't finish the book. I have found myself enjoying books from autho's who's previous work I had not liked.
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

I don't generally keep track of authors I dislike unless I have a particular reason for doing so. Generic bad writing will get me to put a book down, but not to remember the author's name. Of course, if I'm trying out books by a famous author, say John Greene (who is on my list!), I'll likely try one more if I dislike the first, and then remember the result, but my brain is entirely too full to remember the name of every author I dislike.

I rarely if ever purchase books by authors I haven't read at full price and I'm willing to risk a dollar on most books. Plus, I don't finish books I'm not enjoying unless I'm reading it specifically to be well-read. (And even then, the time-education ratio has to be juuuust right...)
lucius1709
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucius1709.html
Latest Review: Salt and Pepper by Maria Akhanji
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by lucius1709 »

It depends on how attracted I am to their work. In cases where there's a writer I have loved for a long time whose work seems to be loosing its teeth and magic, I'll give that author several chances to impress me again.

If there's a writer whose work I've never felt compelled to read, I rarely give them a chance. There has to be something about their writing that naturally compels me - life is too short to read books you don't want to read.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

I am very picky about which books I read in the first place. Nowadays I can get a good idea by reading the first few pages on the Look Inside feature on amazon. In the olden days, I would browse the first few pages of a book at a bookstore. And get books from the library if I wasn't sure about them. I don't read as much as I would like to, so the ones I read have to really interest me in terms of plot/subject and be well written. I rarely get ones that are awful, but if I can't get into it, even if it is supposed to be good, I won't continue. If that author then had a book that interested me more, I would try the first few pages again, and if I liked it I would read it. For me it's more about the subject than the author.

Sometimes I know it's my own mood that affects whether or not I can get into it, or the topic. For example, I have read a lot of Dickens and absolutely love his books, but I can't get into reading Oliver Twist because I've seen it as a play and a movie. And there were a couple other books of his I haven't been able to get into: Hard Times was super depressing to me when I tried to read it, and I had a hard time (lol) getting through The Old Curiousity Shop for some reason.

I also get bored with books sometimes partway through and that could be the plot or it could be my mood. I have put books down and come back to them a year later, but usually I never go back. Life is indeed too short to not enjoy what you're reading or doing.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

I give them one chance. The first time I am disappointed is the last to touch their work
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

Thea Frederick wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 18:34 It really depends on how bad the book was. If there were just a few sections I didn’t like, then I would probably read more from that author. But if what I didn’t like about the book was clearly going to be a major theme throughout their writing, or I seriously disliked the writing style, then I probably wouldn’t try much more unless I was really interested in another of their books. But if I have read a book, liked it, read another by that author and didn’t like it, I would author more chances.
TVis has happened to me also. The you are left un decided about giving them another chance cause the good read ups their level
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I usually give a book a chapter to see if I enjoy it. If It doesn’t reel me in right from the beginning, then the book is done for me. It is rare that I give an author another read if I didn’t like the first book.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

I'm definitely not a one and done person. That's unfair. If you don't like one book, that's ok, but what if there's another book by the author that is better? You won't know unless you're open-minded and give it a try. Every book an author writes is different and should be treated as such.
Nhitra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhitra.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nhitra »

Two times and that's it. It could be that the author hit a snag or it's their earlier work so it's not that good so I always try a different one but most of the time it's still bad. Anyhow, I still like to givethe author the benefit of the doubt.
Echez_
Currently Reading: Totto-chan, the Little Girl at the Window
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echez.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Echez_ »

When I would probably give an author an open till the third chance. That I couldn't finished or thrilled with an author's particular doesn't mean I wouldn't probably try his or her again till the third time.
Maggie21Wussow
Currently Reading: The squad killer spirit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie21wussow.html
Latest Review: Igniting the Phoenix by Alethea Stauron

Post by Maggie21Wussow »

I would give the author one more chance with another book, perhaps in another series or genre. I would also say that you could take a break from that author and come back in a few years, meaning I wouldn't blacklist that author completely; I would just not actively go looking for them.

Return to “Discuss Authors”